SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I decided to make a big photo thread that shows the beauty of "my" city. I took them over the last 2 years.
I took only a few while I was only concentrating to take photos. Often I went downtown by bicycle and took them waiting on a red traffic light or even while I was cycling.

I already posted a few of the photos, but they were too small then.
After my thread about Beijing slowed down many computers, I'll only post about 20 pictures per day, if I have the time.

So enjoy my photos of the beautiful town Hamburg!

The first 19 photos show the unique "Speicherstadt" (Loftcity) and the area around it. It's the biggest coherent loft-complex in the world and was opened in 1888. I have read that some of the architects had studied church-construction, which explains the incredible design of some of the buildings.
The main-storage are imported Oriental Carpets, tea and coffee, which you can smell everywhere in the loft city.
But there are also sights like the duty museum (for free, shows how smugglers work(ed)), the spice museum, the "Hamburg Dungeon" and the biggest miniature H0 train system in the world. Every night until 11.30 pm the city is illuminated and that's the time when it is most beautiful IMO. Enough of writing, here are my pics:

A view on Hamburg downtown from the Speicherstadt.

I took the night pics with my mid '80s Ricoh SLR and scanned them.

On the next picture you can see parts of the Speicherstadt on the right and the new super-modern harbour city on the left. There are expensive appartements and offices.

Also on an other end of the Speicherstadt, modern buildings were built. Here's the Hanseatic Trade Center:

An impression of the harbour next to it: An old fire-ship.

Speicherstadt at day.

The following pics are a bit old. The Harbour city was still in construction then. That's the Red Bull flight day btw, where ordinary people have to build funny looking flying vehicles and "fly" (aka fall) into the water.

On the last picture you can see a big old loft. On the top of it the city is going to build a philharmony off glass:

To be continued...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sorry, I must have done something wrong. The pictures come out too big. I'm working on it...

EDIT: I did it now. It should work. Photobucket is great, but the way it resizes photos is often surprising...

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Great photos! Nice city... That philharmony off glass is going to be a very nice addition to that building. I like the concept.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sehr sehr schön! Wirlklich, Hamburg ist schöner als ich dachte. Es erinnert mir an Amsterdam, die alten Speicher im Hafengebiet...nur sieht das hier noch grösser aus.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am happy you like the pictures. I am already excited to see the Elbphilharmony in reality.

Amsterdam ist wirklich zum teil recht ähnlich. Auch eine sehr schöne Stadt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, some new pictures: Photobucket sent me an email that said I had to pay something due to my bandwith. So I upload on putfile.com again...

The next pictures are all from the Elbe or from places that are directly next to it. I'll try to keep them into the order in which you see the places when you go from the Elbe near downtown Hamburg (the Speicherstadt-Landungsbrücken) to the west.

Here we go:

The harbour near downtown.

What you see is our Fernsehturm (TV Tower), the famous church "Michel" and the Gruner & Jahr house which has an interesting architecture (I'll post some more pictures one day...)

The next pictures are from the last day of this year's harbour-brithday. In the background you can see the new high-rise in St. Pauli (there was something posted on this forum about it...).

One highlight of the last harbour-birthday was the visit of the Queen Mary 2 on the 2nd biggest swimming dock of the world (correct?) to get repaired.

The following pictures show the Elbufer (Elbe-waterside) in Hamburg-Altona. There are historic fish-markets and new, very modern apartment and office buildings. Also 2 '70ies ugly skycsrapers which are meant for cheap housing. The other places along the Elbe or Alster are extremely expensive.

The next pics still show the Elbe-waterside in Hamburg-Altona. But suddenly it looks pretty rural.

After this "block" of nice old houses, you are on the Elbstrand (Elbe-beach). From now on until the ultra-expensive residential areas on the Elbe westend of Hamburg (Blankenses, Othmarschen) you have only few buildings, and no comercial buildings on the north-side of the Elbe anymore. In the south you have an Airbus-factory.

That's it for today. Maybe I'll manage to post some pictures of Downtown or the Alster tomorrow, but afterwards I'll be offline for a week, because I'll celebrate my school-graduation with some friends in Denmark...

I hope you liked my photos!

·
Gotta lite?
6,040 Posts
^ I agree with DeCoNs, Berlin and Hamburg are also my two favourite cities in Germany. Was planning to get back to Hamburg this year, let's hope I fit it in.

keep the posts coming!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree . fantastic !! Hamburg is always awesome . Isn't there in the west side also the Altona "balkony" park and this expensive Louis C Jacob Hotel and Restaurant with the wonderful outdoor restaurant garden with wonderful trees and an awesome habour view ? :shocked:

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Keep going! Wanna see much more :)
Hamburg is a beauty in its own league ;) Simply amazing...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts