SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
westlake945
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now is the chance to share your old Hamilton pics.... 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's or even earlier.
So get those old box of photos from mom and dad or the grandparents to see what you can turn up.
I will start off with some old pics. Info and credits are on each photo.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Now is the chance to share your old Hamilton pics.... 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's or even earlier.
So get those old box of photos from mom and dad or the grandparents to see what you can turn up.
I will start off with some old pics. Info and credits are on each photo.

Great photos though the last one would have to be 50's since it is missing both the Royal Bank Building and new City hall

·
westlake945
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jaborandi, i rechecked the last photo and it said about 1960... who knows eh lol.
anyhow here are some more which are already on the skyscraperpage website.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts

Now 50 years later we are talking about adding the rail lines back to that extact same spot lol.

There's Centre Mall (one of the first shopping malls in all of North America), funny how they built Sears even with the old race track still visualable. Now it's being demolished to make way for a new "hybrid box big" format.

Thanks for the great photos.

·
westlake945
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone help?

In the blow up of one of my photos below shows a bus and car the photo taken in 1960. However HSR 197 should not exist since it was supposedly sold to CCL in 1951. Can anyone identify the model year of the car beside the bus?

·
westlake945
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ROBINSON'S

Yeah.... it went the way of everything else.... died giving birth to a parking lot LOL
Here is a MS Virtual Earth look.

·
westlake945
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm..... does anyone remember

After the Robinson's request i sort of remember they had an annex reached by the rear of the store to a space that faced onto King W... (I Think)..... can anyone remember this?

·
westlake945
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Power to the people nearly 100 years ago.

Came across some photos of stuff you may c but never take note of. Feel free to add photos of similar items below. All pictures courtesy of archive.org and are in the public domain.

The developement of electrical power started about 1900 from the Niagara area to points in Ontario. Here are some early pics of the transmission lines/towers and some still do exist.

The pic below is the Niagara/Dundas/London corridor line. This view looks north towards the Dundas substation. The line on right is incoming from Niagara, the line on left outgoing to London. This line still exists today from Dundas to Ingersoll and also along Hwy 6 from Waterdown to Guelph.

The next pic is of the same line while workers erected the towers. Note the fact no safety gear......

Next is that same line from Niagara Falls at the Welland Canal. Note the workmen on the canal tower finishing it off while the line is only strung to the shorter tower on the left.

Next is the switching station from the first line to reach Hamilton, before Niagara power lines. This station served the line from Decew Falls to Hamilton and was situated north of CNR tracks at Strathearne Ave in Hamilton

This power line below ran from Niagara Falls ON via Chippewa, Fort Erie & Buffalo to Syracuse NY.

This line was part of the original Niagara to London Line. It still exists today running from London to Stratford.

This dual line ran from Niagara along the escarpment to a point near Stoney Creek at Ridge Rd. It then descended and travelled diagonally across the beach strip, where it headed northease across Burlington, meeting with the CNR tracks past Guelph Line. This line may still exist in the Hwy 20 Fonthill area.

Finally the original Decew Falls line to Hamilton. Part of this line still exists in the Pelham area. Ontario Hydro left one tower standing to mark the historical
site of the line to Hamilton. It stands at Greenhill Ave at the foot of Cochrane Rd.

·
Historic Highways Fanatic
6 Posts
Those are cool pictures. I am also looking for old closeups on the QEW in the Hamilton/Burlington area, but most notably the Traffic Circle in the 1960s/1970s. I would love to see closeups of the railway overpasses. Does anyone have pics of the QEW from this era?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

1 - 20 of 30 Posts