SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the second part of my visit to the city of Hamilton, Ontario on the weekend of February 1, 2013. These photos were taken on February 2, 2013. I toured the neighbourhoods of Durand and Locke Street Village.

Durand is one of the city's oldest neighbourhoods, located south of downtown. It contains some of the most architecturally diverse collection of homes in the country.

Durand is named after James Durand, an Upper Canada businessman. The neighborhood's population is about 12,000.

Starting just south of downtown on Hunter Street… here is the start of Part 2 of my Winter 2013 Hamilton photo tour… as you can tell, it was cold and dreary day with flurries, but that didn't stop me!

Hamilton Central Public School, built in 1853, was the largest school in Upper Canada when built and could accomodate 1,000 students. Still used today.

Looking up at one of Hamilton's many apartment buildings

Historic house where CHCH-TV first started. Located at 163 Jackson St. West

CHCH-TV, Hamilton's TV Station

Front entrance to the house

Side of the CHCH-TV building

Another empire home across from CHCH-TV on Jackson Street

Bella Towers construction on Main Street, it was formerly an abandoned municipal building

With all these tall apartment buildings and old houses, it reminds me a bit of Chicago's Gold Coast

High-rise apartments on Bold Street

Condominium development in Durand

Durand Park

The more south you go towards Aberdeen, you'll run into some of the city's oldest mansions like this one...

These homes are on Ravenscliffe Avenue

As you can tell, these homes are on a hill with Hamilton Mountain (part of the Niagara Escarpment) behind

Homes on Turner Avenue

Looking towards downtown from the area of Durand on Hamilton Mountain

Ballhinich House on James Street

More homes on Aberdeen Avenue

Homes on Herkimer Street

Hamilton Central Presbyterian Church, completed in 1908

Locke Street Village is a business district located on Locke Street South in the city's west end, founded in 1850. It contains numerous boutiques, stores, shops, services, and restaurants, as well as a number of churches.

Chuck's Burger Bar, where I ate lunch, I believe this was on a show on the Food Network, along with a few other Hamilton restaurants...

Inside where it was warm and very busy!

The guilty pleasure burger, MMMMM! Made of ground bacon! Fries were good too! Not vegetarian approved...

These are back downtown, La Cantina Italian Restaurant, where I ate a delicious supper that night! This restaurant has been rated tops in "Toronto Life" magazine and voted best Italian Restaurant in the GTA (even though Hamilton isn't in the GTA).

Inside the restaurant was very nice!

Mmmm, red wine and a delicious Penne Pasta meal, the
Pennette all' Arrabbiata!

Theatre Aquarius, one of Hamilton's Performing Arts Centres

Playing that night was "The Last Romance" starring M*A*S*H alumnus Jamie Farr, who played Max Klinger on that series. I saw it of course and it was magnificent!

Hope you all enjoyed part two of my Hamilton Winter 2013 tour! COMING SOON: night shots of the city!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pictures. Durand is Hamilton in a nutshell. That makes that Chuck's place so famous? And how was the bacon burger?
The bacon burger was awesome! It was ground bacon, looks like beef. They don't call it the "Guilty Pleasure" burger for nothing. ;)

Chuck's has earned quite a few rave reviews and was featured in Canada's Food Network in a program called "You Gotta Eat Here". There's a good number of Hamilton restaurants on that program. That's likely why it's famous in its own way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts