1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Londoner
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hamilton worst Ontario smog spot

Mon, May 29, 2006

By CP

HAMILTON -- Ontario issued its first air quality advisory of the year yesterday, with increased smog levels recorded across southwestern, central and eastern Ontario.

The smog in Hamilton was the worst as by early afternoon the provincial air quality index hit 64.

Officials say a high pressure area centered just south of the lower Great Lakes, coupled with light southerly winds, is to blame for the first bout of bad air this year.

Local pollutants combined with those from the U.S. to create a blanket of lousy air.

The Niagara Escarpment can trap pollutants in the Hamilton area, said John Steele, an Environment Ministry spokesperson.

Air quality in Burlington, Toronto and Oakville was moderate.

While this is the first smog advisory of 2006, it comes later than the first alert of 2005 -- the worst smog year on record. Last year by this time, the government had already issued three smog advisories.

Steele urged people to conserve energy and use public transit to lessen the pollution. :eek2:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
gee, I wonder if he urged polluting industries to cut back... probably not.

I think my old lawnmower contributed to about half that smog yesterday... have to splurge on a good old-fashioned one.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's not entirely the industries fault in Hamilton for yesterday's smog. Because Hamilton has the Niagara Escarpment it traps all the bad air from the USA and local pollutants and since the Escarpment is close to the downtown it would have the highest smog level.

The Niagara Escarpment can be a blessing in some ways but it's also a pain.

·
Registered
71 Posts
funny most of the time Hamilton doesn't have the worst air I guess since it did this time there had to be a press release to tarnish the Image more. I guess people still don't realise that cars are the bigger polluters.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Alot of the smog is contributed by the two tiny coal plants in Northern Ontario. Let's thank Mr McGuinty for making shutting down those two monstrocities his top priorities. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Huge chuck of our dirty air comes from the Nanticoke coal power plant (Lake Erie). That stuff goes right over Hamilton's air. Think McGuinty wants it closed in 2008. Replace it with natural gas or something.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Steeltown said:
Huge chuck of our dirty air comes from the Nanticoke coal power plant (Lake Erie). That stuff goes right over Hamilton's air. Think McGuinty wants it closed in 2008. Replace it with natural gas or something.
No, they aren't closing that one because they need it. They're going to convert Thunder Bay and Atikokan generators to Natural Gas instead. It will cost about 2 billion dollars and the electricity they produce will cost 250% more, but at least the air in Southern Ontario will be cleaner.

·
261 Posts
Windsor loses its title again to worst pollution?
Haha... are we still second though?
I don't think Windsor ever had that title, it's too flat there for pollution to build up like it does around the Niagara Escarpment.

·
The Mighty.
3,196 Posts
Blitz said:
I don't think Windsor ever had that title, it's too flat there for pollution to build up like it does around the Niagara Escarpment.
Nah man... Windsor always held the title. Hamilton was always second for years.
Zug Island, Detroit, and the industry on the LaSalle border always made that possible.
All those stated added up is by far more industrial than all of Hamilton.
Hamilton's valley geographically just stresses it more, hence why it was always Windsor's 'twin' in pollution.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
hamiltonguyo said:
If you tell them not to work on smog days then our economy collapses..
That's not what I meant. Which is easier: enforce environmental controls on heavy polluting industries, or wag your finger at the public? And I hate politicians who tell you to use public transit, yet have no plan whatsover on fixing the shit public transit that our cities typically have.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I was listening to one city councillor, Brian McHattie, and he made a really good case. He said the province spends millions to municipalities to deal with West Nile which what kills less than 6 people a year? But the province doesn't do the same with smog to municipalities and what smog kills about a thousand a year?

Wish McHattie would run for Mayor he be perfect.

·
261 Posts
Oaronuviss said:
ah man... Windsor always held the title. Hamilton was always second for years.
Zug Island, Detroit, and the industry on the LaSalle border always made that possible.
All those stated added up is by far more industrial than all of Hamilton.
Hamilton's valley geographically just stresses it more, hence why it was always Windsor's 'twin' in pollution.
All the hippy environmentalists in Windsor love to scare us by claiming that it's the worst in Canada but historically the Air Quality Index is often worse in Hamilton and even Toronto. They have the combined effects of Michigan and Ontario...we just have Michigan.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
All the hippy environmentalists in Windsor love to scare us by claiming that it's the worst in Canada but historically the Air Quality Index is often worse in Hamilton and even Toronto. They have the combined effects of Michigan and Ontario...we just have Michigan.
Originally Posted by Tri-City Guy
I don't think Kitchener is much better for air quality. When you check the indexes it's usually only Hamilton that equals or exceeds it.
Hmmm, how about this, all urban centres in Southern Ontario have serious smog problems, maybe those crazy environmentalists have a bit of a point when it comes to trying to get less fumes/chemicals/emissions(pick your word) in the air.....especially with all that asthma/repiratory disease that likes to present itself with the summer weather :cheer:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Thunder Bay has very clean air. 'Good' is a bad fday. :)

Today is very smoggy, it's 29. I don't like going outside if it's over 20! :D

·
261 Posts
Yeah, all of southern Ontario has smog issues - it's unfortunate but that's the price we pay for being the engine of the country.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts