Registered
15,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hanoi to have a 108-storey tower in $4-billion smart city

The smart city will be built by a joint venture between BRG Group and Sumitomo Corporation.
The joint venture broke ground for construction of the $4.2 billion smart city in the north of Hanoi last weekend.

Spanning 272 hectares, the township is part of a smart urban planning scheme stretching 11 kilometres from Nhat Tan Bridge to Noi Bai International Airport. It is divided into five phases which are expected to be fully completed by 2028.

BRG Group chairwoman Nguyen Thi Nga revealed at the groundbreaking ceremony that a 108-storey financial tower with a lotus design would become the highlight of the smart city and a financial centre of Vietnam and Southeast Asia as a whole.

Sumitomo Corporation will team up with BRG Group to develop the first phase on 72 hectares at estimated development cost of $1 billion.

Nga said the 108-storey financial tower would help Hanoi to become the a modern capital in Southeast Asia and and be on par with the capitals of developed countries in the world.

There will a metro line running from the downtown area via the project to Noi Bai International Airport with a new station planned to be built within the project's area. Sumitomo Corporation will implement the project considering a transit-oriented development centered on the new station.

Up to now, the smart city project developed by BRG and Japanese partners is the largest-scale foreign-invested project of Hanoi and one of the largest FDI real estate projects in the country.

The project area will be composed of hospitals, schools, disaster prevention facilities, security systems and commercial facilities, as well as lush greenery, water passage, and a main street lined with cherry blossom trees, and realize comfortable residential environment and community.

In addition, by introducing 5G, face recognition system and blockchain technologies, the area will feature sophisticated smart city services, contributing to the sustainable development of Hanoi.

Source: https://e.theleader.vn/hanoi-to-have-a-108-storey-tower-in-4-billion-smart-city-1570417836723.htm

·
YIMBY Enthusiast
454 Posts
That design looks gorgeous; will be tricky to pull it off, though.

With the very low success rates of megatalls I can't put too much hope into it, though.

Also, why is it with most supertall proposals the building is isolated from the rest of the city? Would love to see them incorporated into the main skyline, although I guess it could be because of the large floor space needed. Shanghai and Dubai did this well; Mecca definitely did not.

·
I Love Chicago!
11,117 Posts
^^ At the moment, I am unwilling to have faith in any megatall coming to fruition.

Reactions: kanye

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,154 Posts
looks very long term, but one can hope :cheers:

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I'm looking at the articles in the OP. The first two links are of the initial announcements in 2016, almost four years ago. Why is the thread being made now? And what has happened on the ground since then?

The third link is the same as that in the third post, citing groundbreaking for the infrastructure project in November 2019, with no timeline presented for the construction of the tower. Interestingly, the article mentions a "lotus design".

The last two links lead to the same page from an architectural office. I was a little taken aback by the picture of Superman's Fortress of Solitude halfway down the page, it seems like the design has been somewhat influenced by it. It doesn't mention any timeline for construction either.

But overall, the tower seems to have some ground to stand on, however flimsy. There appears to be a site for it and a masterplan that integrates it. But as far as I can tell, there has yet to appear a developer, a construction timeline, or financing. It appears to be part of a "later phase" of an ongoing project, if I've understood it correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts