SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
Someone posted some renders from different angles a few months age, can't for the life of my remember which thread they were in though.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There seems to be popular consensus of local support for the redevelopment, according to that article.

I used go to those baths in my youth, still do in fact. It is true to say the old building does have a sense of charm and elegance about it. But it terms of whether it is fit for purpose in its current state is a moot point.

I would welcome a redesign, extension or make-over of some description. But please don't foist that soulless render on us

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Apparently, the forward frieze above the entrance will be incorporated into the reception area of the new pool:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
hmm

that render shows everyone having to walk through a car park to get to the entrance, some scruffy old walling between it & the pavement

& it also shows some amazingly crap architecture!
it looks quite 60's, with random elements just stuck together:
the green 'thing' dosnt relate to the glass block behind it, theres some sort of entrance canopy that looks like an afterthought, none of the detailed lines match up.

notice they call it a rending (?)

& what about Tiverton Rd? that pool is 18 years older than Harborne, & needs replacing, with something on a new site.
or Moseley Rd, where they know what needs doing & how much it would cost.
ah yes, Mike Whitby just happens to be a Harborne councillor, yet he dosnt even live in Birmingham.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
hmm

that render shows everyone having to walk through a car park to get to the entrance, some scruffy old walling between it & the pavement
The site has constraints, so what?

& it also shows some amazingly crap architecture!
it looks quite 60's, with random elements just stuck together:
the green 'thing' dosnt relate to the glass block behind it, theres some sort of entrance canopy that looks like an afterthought, none of the detailed lines match up.
The "green 'thing'" Isn't supposed to relate to the block behind it because it's a random shape included in the design to create some visual flair, I think it works. Why should the detailed lines match up? Who says they're supposed to?

notice they call it a rending (?)
Local newspaper in bad reporting shocka.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,206 Posts
I like it a lot - the extg is hardly on the same architectural scale as Moseley Road, Sparkhill or even Northfield's 1930s building so it won't be missed that much.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I'm a bit cautious about this. That's a very Brutalist design and I really want to know what the materials they want to use are. I'm warming to it though..

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I verbally exclaimed 'WHAT!' when I opened this thread. That is totally boring and out of character and scale for Harborne. Yes the baths are a bit tatty but that doesn't mean they should be demolished.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
The existing building is dour, depressing and utterly uninspiring, it deserves demolition in my opinion. The above building is fresh, modern and will make a far better leisure centre than the previous building ever could.

Seriously what were people expecting? Portland stone? Sash windows? Hyper modern stainless steel?

·
In the aeroplane over B1
2,969 Posts
Modern pools that I have used in the past may have been bland and modernist but had a welcoming face that was duplicated inside. Sadly this doesn't, indeed it has an aura of the Dolphin Centre, Bromsgrove, to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The existing building is dour, depressing and utterly uninspiring, it deserves demolition in my opinion. The above building is fresh, modern and will make a far better leisure centre than the previous building ever could.

Seriously what were people expecting? Portland stone? Sash windows? Hyper modern stainless steel?
I totally agree the existing pool is far from impressive and this will be a modern facility which will be a massive improvement on the current pool which is in a very poor state.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts