Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SSLL
Joined
·
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060524.HARBOUR24/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/
___________________
Harbourfront welcomes Flaherty's promise
After long period of financial uncertainty, agency to receive $5-million over five years

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF
After a long bout of financial uncertainty, Harbourfront Centre has won a pledge of stable funding from the federal government.

The non-profit cultural agency will receive $5-million a year over five years, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced yesterday, confirming an election pledge by Conservative Leader Stephen Harper.

The commitment marks a change in fortunes for Harbourfront, which attracts 12.6 million visits a year to a wide mix of cultural programs that reflect the ethnic diversity of Toronto. "This is the most welcome news we have had in a very long time," said Harbourfront CEO Bill Boyle, noting that the long-term government commitment makes it easier to attract private donors for programs, 70 per cent of which are free to the public.

In recent years, the ruling federal Liberals committed to funding the agency only one year at a time. On the eve of the Jan. 23 vote, after Mr. Harper's promise, Liberal ministers added their own verbal commitment to long-term support.

"For too long Harbourfront Centre has had an uncertain future," said Mr. Flaherty, who also has political responsibility for the Toronto region.

He was flanked by two other Tory cabinet ministers -- Treasury Board president John Baird (who has political responsibility for Harbourfront) and Canadian Heritage Minister Bev Oda -- at a press conference held at the agency's waterfront site on Queens Quay West.

Ms. Oda topped up Mr. Flaherty's news with a promise of $840,000 through 2009 toward the cost of festivals and other cultural programs.

The federal announcement drew warm words from some unlikely sources, including Toronto Mayor David Miller, who during the federal election campaign was cool at best to the prospect of a Conservative government in Ottawa.

"The kind of co-operation we have seen on this issue speaks to the co-operation the two governments need on many issues," the mayor told reporters at city hall.

The mayor and Mr. Baird, who will be together again today for a funding announcement at Union Station, lobbed compliments at one another yesterday.

"He has a sense of humour and sees the waterfront for the tremendous opportunity it is," said Mr. Miller, who was publicly thanked by Mr. Baird for providing stop-gap city funds pending the federal dollars for Harbourfront.

MP Olivia Chow (Trinity-Spadina), a New Democrat, also lauded the government commitment to the agency, which lies within her riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,346 Posts
As much as Toronto folks love to hate their city's waterfront, I think it's so great that we have entertainment venues all along the waterfront in places like Harbourfront Centre.

I think it would be nice if we had boardwalks with cafes and such, as well, but I am glad to hear that some funding is going Harbourfront Centre's way... it's all too often that art and cultural festivals/programs/centres have unvertain futures.

-thryve
 

·
Torontonian 4ever
Joined
·
9,891 Posts
We need a large waterfront dance club.. at Metronome.. Btw don't give me the Guv and Docks.. Those are WAYY too far away:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
"After long period of financial uncertainty, agency to receive $5-million over five years"

"The non-profit cultural agency will receive $5-million a year over five years"

So which is it? $5 million, or $25 million?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
79,203 Posts
Filip said:
We need a large waterfront dance club.. at Metronome.. Btw don't give me the Guv and Docks.. Those are WAYY too far away:p
Are you crazy? Two hippies and a beagle from the Islands will have the club
shut down in a fortnight. Not even a whiff of distant melodies or the Islanders feel that their personal space has been violated. They like to keep
pretending they don't live on the edge of a 5 million person city.
 

·
Torontonian 4ever
Joined
·
9,891 Posts
Taller said:
Are you crazy? Two hippies and a beagle from the Islands will have the club
shut down in a fortnight. Not even a whiff of distant melodies or the Islanders feel that their personal space has been violated.
Ugh I can't stand those people... If they chose to live there let them live with the consequences, obviously living in or near the downtown core is going to be noisier than living in St Olaf 30 miles from civilization....

Plus, I wanna be able to bike or walk to my club hahahaha, cabs at 2 in the morning destroy me:D
 

·
Toronto #1 Canadian City
Joined
·
111 Posts
aren't we getting a little tired of all these promises to make Toronto's harbourfront first class. This has become a political game where everyone wants to get into the picture but there's never any action. Let's cut the crap and get on with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,767 Posts
"We need a large waterfront dance club.. at Metronome.."


Well, first of all, Metronome is not at Harbourfront Centre, and Harbourfront Centre is a tad more high culture than dance clubs. I do not wish to change that. Not that mainstream crap "clubbing" stuff should be illiminated all together...just not ruin what is already probably the best cultural venue in the city.







"So which is it? $5 million, or $25 million? "


Well...both...isn't it?

It's $5 million a year...guaranteed for 5 years, which totals $25 million. They were getting by on $4 million a year...which means they have an extra $million, which is also guaranteed, which makes planning next years budget and events much easier.

Harbourfront Centre is a self-supporting, non-profit charity, which had it's heyday back in the days when it was living off the profits of selling land to condo developers...which is no longer there, because the development land is pretty much all gone.

Too bad they lost Soul Pepper...probably the best theatre group on the continent. At least another high quality cultural venue got them (Distillery), as well as a great new purpose-built home.

Harbourfront will probably be able to make up for it with the increased budget...they have some pretty good people who program all the fabulous events there.

Clubbing?????????????????? ....back to the burbs with you.







KGB
 

·
Torontonian 4ever
Joined
·
9,891 Posts
KGB said:
"We need a large waterfront dance club.. at Metronome.."


Well, first of all, Metronome is not at Harbourfront Centre, and Harbourfront Centre is a tad more high culture than dance clubs. I do not wish to change that. Not that mainstream crap "clubbing" stuff should be illiminated all together...just not ruin what is already probably the best cultural venue in the city.







"So which is it? $5 million, or $25 million? "


Well...both...isn't it?

It's $5 million a year...guaranteed for 5 years, which totals $25 million. They were getting by on $4 million a year...which means they have an extra $million, which is also guaranteed, which makes planning next years budget and events much easier.

Harbourfront Centre is a self-supporting, non-profit charity, which had it's heyday back in the days when it was living off the profits of selling land to condo developers...which is no longer there, because the development land is pretty much all gone.

Too bad they lost Soul Pepper...probably the best theatre group on the continent. At least another high quality cultural venue got them (Distillery), as well as a great new purpose-built home.

Harbourfront will probably be able to make up for it with the increased budget...they have some pretty good people who program all the fabulous events there.

Clubbing?????????????????? ....back to the burbs with you.







KGB
By Harbourfront I usually use that to say everything in the central waterfront.

If you want to create successful harbourfront FOR THE PEOPLE you have to include leisure for all citizens.. Not everybody likes theatre, you have to reach out for everyone.. And my generation is the clubbing generation, and that won't change for a while hehehe. The only reason I ever go down there is to occasionally bike, or eat at Il Fornello's, other than that, nothing in the world would attract me south of the Gardiner.

Mind you, it's not just suburbanites who go clubbing.. It's mostly everyone in their prime age;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
I think that area (proposed Metronome club) is way too residential for a night club. But I agree that the area can use attractions to draw a more diverse crowd down there.
 

·
Indie Bean
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Clubbing? That is so 22. How about a wind-surfing shop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,767 Posts
"By Harbourfront I usually use that to say everything in the central waterfront."


That's nice, but we are talking about Harbourfront Centre, which is the 10 acre cultural centre located at Harbourfront (the 100 acre parcel of the central waterfront given to the city by the federal government).







"I think that area (proposed Metronome club) is way too residential for a night club."


Of course it is...nobody would be stupid enough to propose a night club...something more inclusive, used more than saturday nights, and more culturally stimulating.








"But I agree that the area can use attractions to draw a more diverse crowd down there."


The 4000 events put on by Harbourfront Centre couldn't be more diverse, or appeal to a more diverse crowd.

Has anybody here actually been there or have a clue as to the depth of what goes on there?????









"If you want to create successful harbourfront FOR THE PEOPLE you have to include leisure for all citizens.. Not everybody likes theatre, you have to reach out for everyone."


As already mentioned, few cultural centres on the planet can match the quality, quantity and diversity of the events at Harbourfront Centre. What made you think it's only theatre????

Clue in. Peple like McDonalds too....maybe that should be the extent of the culinary amenities available there too?

Want clubbing...go to the entertainment district. The waterfront already has two massive clubs...Guverment and the Docks.







KGB
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top