Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, Leeds No.1 feels it's appropriate to ask people to vote for their worst cities but he only gave 10 options (which presumably he chose). As it's impossible for most people to give their own opinion rather than one of his, here's my twopenneth as he obviously likes public humiliation:

My best friend lived in Harehills and around Chapeltown for a year as a student. He couldn't believe all the the gangs fighting and the drug-related crime. He was burgled, followed, intimidated and was in fear for his safety all the time. Despite being a very handy lad (16 stone ex-army and a boxer) he said it was the most terrifying place he'd ever experienced.

Shouldn't Leeds be investing in the extremely neglected parts (most of East and South Leeds have problems) of the city before they build their Lumiere Tower?

·
6,977 Posts
In comment to your last paragraph, Leeds are! the EASEL project will be the biggest regeneration that Leeds has ever seen. See the seperate thread. (also, Lumiere is not being developed by the council or any other authority, it is a private development).

As for Chapeltown and Harehills, it is well known as having problems with crime and drugs but has improved a lot over the last few years with much improved policing campaigns to rid the area of a lot of dealers.

My wife's cousin lived in the heart of Chapeltown for a few years and loved it there, he was sorry when he had to move out (for work). I don't doubt your friend's account, but that isn't the only view of the area, there is a lot of positives such as the Chapeltown Carnival and the strong community spirit.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Dear me in case you didn't know the reason Leeds No 1 had chosen those ten towns in that other thread is because of a Kirstie Allsop and Phil Spencer programme which was on Channel 4 a couple of years ago and they chose those 10 locations as worst place in Britain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4136342.stm

Hull 'worst place to live in UK'

Hull is to be the subject of regeneration schemes
Hull is the worst place to live in the UK and Surrey's Epsom and Ewell the best, according to a television show.
Channel 4's The Best and Worst Places to Live in the UK based its rankings on statistics for crime, education, employment, environment and lifestyle.

Armed with statistics from all 434 UK local authorities, researchers said Hull saw around 69 crimes a day.

Epsom and Ewell was singled out for high education standards, large open spaces and very low crime rate.

Gunshot wounds

Nottingham, where the Queen's Medical Centre deals with more gunshot wounds than any other UK city, was ranked as the second worst place to live in the programme presented by property experts Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer.

The Midlands city was also found to have the highest number of burglaries in the UK.

10 Best Places to Live in UK
1 - Epsom and Ewell
2 - City of Westminster
3 - Harrogate
4 - Ashford, Kent
5 - Stratford Upon Avon
6 - East Hertfordshire
7 - South Cambridgeshire
8 - Mole Valley
9 - Guildford
10 - West Oxfordshire
On the other end of the scale, the City of Westminster in London was deemed the second best.

Open spaces such as St James's Park and Regent's Park, as well as the West End's theatre land played in its favour.

Many bars

The borough also scored points for being "filled to the brim with fabulous bars and restaurants".

Meanwhile, several factors contributed to give Hull the unattractive tag.

In terms of education, the city ranked worst with 35.1% of its 16-year-olds gaining five or more A* - C grades at GCSE.

10 Worst Places to Live in UK
1 - Hull
2 - Nottingham
3 - Strabane
4 - Hackney, London
5 - Middlesbrough
6 - Mansfield
7 - Blaenau Gwent, S Wales
8 - Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales
9 - Salford, Gtr Manchester
10 - Easington, County Durham

Hull, which has 101 chip shops, was also deemed the fattest town in the UK.

The MP for Hull East and deputy prime minister, John Prescott, defended the town in light of the programme's findings.

"It is arrogance beyond belief to proclaim Hull the worst place to live.

"I challenge them to come to Hull and I will personally show Phil and Kirsty that it's a great northern city and a great place to live and work," he said.

In contrast, Harrogate in Yorkshire was rated the third best place to live in the UK.

Researchers found it had above average sunshine hours of 1680.3 per year and less-than-average rainfall.

It also made the top 2% in the UK for education with 73% of students getting five or more A* to C grades at GCSE.

The town also scored points for having more mineral springs than anywhere else in the world, Channel 4 said.

Strabane, in the north west of Northern Ireland, was named as the third worst place to live in the UK.

This was partly because the percentage of economically active people was 68.2%, compared to the UK average of 74.1%, and the number job seekers' allowance claimants was more than double the UK average.
Granted whilst their evidence might have been largely suspect it was still done relating to statistics. Regarding your comments regarding Harehills and Chapeltown yes they do have problems but doesn't everywhere especially your native Newcastle which I believe does have some rather heavily deprived areas and I believe only a few years ago a terraced house in one of the more deprived places had only cost £1. Anyway the council are attempting to revitalise Chapeltown and Harehills but of course as with everything it takes years, big ideas, image changes and lots of money to make a success of. I can't imagine your comment that Leeds should revitalise Harehills and Chapeltown over building Lumiere though. Surely with Britain being a free market country why shouldn't Leeds develop Lumiere tower. Can't imagine anywhere in the world except perhaps Scandinavia where they would revitalise every single area in favour of building landmark new developments.

·
Registered
765 Posts
On another thread, Leeds No.1 feels it's appropriate to ask people to vote for their worst cities but he only gave 10 options (which presumably he chose). As it's impossible for most people to give their own opinion rather than one of his, here's my twopenneth as he obviously likes public humiliation:

My best friend lived in Harehills and around Chapeltown for a year as a student. He couldn't believe all the the gangs fighting and the drug-related crime. He was burgled, followed, intimidated and was in fear for his safety all the time. Despite being a very handy lad (16 stone ex-army and a boxer) he said it was the most terrifying place he'd ever experienced.

Shouldn't Leeds be investing in the extremely neglected parts (most of East and South Leeds have problems) of the city before they build their Lumiere Tower?
You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Are you equally concerned about Benwell?

·
6,977 Posts
That's a good point about house prices Val Verde, as house prices do closely reflect an area's desirability and demand.

House prices in Chapeltown and Harehills went up a few years ago and have remained consistantly strong for a number of years now. The same can be said about other deprived areas like Armley and Beeston, a few years ago you could get a through terrace in these areas for £20k, I doubt you'd find one for under £80k now in Harehills, Armley or Beeston, and a lot more than that in Burley and Hyde Park.

·
Registered
30,590 Posts
On another thread, Leeds No.1 feels it's appropriate to ask people to vote for their worst cities but he only gave 10 options (which presumably he chose).
I didn't choose them at all. If you notice, that thread, as well as its sister thread, the Best Places to live (of which there is one for 2006 and 2005), were created in direct relation to Channel 4's Best and Worst Places to Live in the UK. There will be another one this year. The results are based on crime, education, healthcare and employment statistics. There may be others that I have forgotten, but those particularly.

And well. It's not like "Leeds" chose to build Lumiere over improving Harehills/Chapeltown. Leeds City Council gave approval for private money to build Lumiere so I don't think that makes a difference. The economic boom of Central Leeds is critical in ensuring the success of the suburbs anyway. Chapeltown is on the up, so is Harehills. They will gradually improve and gentrify; Burley and Headingley have seen this and continue to improve. There is the EASEL masterplan too that Leeds City Council are undertaking that will ensure these areas improve. Chapeltown has some nice terraced houses, the area will be revived. Its a pity Supertram hasn't made this easier mind.

I think its important to remember, finally, that Leeds is a wealthy city. Harehills/Chapeltown are deprived for Leeds but other cities have areas far worse.

·
6,977 Posts
I saw the 2006 programme, was pleased to see Hull had left the list, but amazed to see Manchester had joined it.

·
Registered
30,590 Posts
I didn't choose the 2005 list, it just happeneed to be the one that Chris voted on so I replied there too.. as you would expect really.

Clearly, to find the top 10 and bottom 10, you would have to rate every place in the UK. I would be interested therefore to see where Leeds came, and Hull in 2006.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
Can't we all agree that this sort of trash telly is bullshit cobbled together to sensationalize the overblown fear of crime in this country. Why feed the beast by starting polls and giving it creedence (especially two years after the event) ?

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
BTW Rob...Well done on the politics show!

Any chance you could have a mosey over to the official Hull thread and give us some details on what you know about the latest with st stephen's?

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
Well in all fairness, that poll was started at the time, and it wasn't me who revived it at all.

So it was. Fair enough.

I think the Hullensians and others on the forum are doing a decent job of exploding a few of the myths anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
I didn't choose the 2005 list, it just happeneed to be the one that Chris voted on so I replied there too.. as you would expect really.

Clearly, to find the top 10 and bottom 10, you would have to rate every place in the UK. I would be interested therefore to see where Leeds came, and Hull in 2006.
Why? You're not from Leeds and you're not from Hull.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
You obviously like to see this country, and probably the world, as some sort of giant Carling Premiership of places and cities Harrogate#1 and Val Verde.

Do you realize that people's lives are genuinely affected by this sort of guff? whole towns and communities shot down in flames in the media because they haven't got a Harvey Nicks, sushi bars or 'skyscrapers'?

It's one thing to be proud of where you are from, and tell people about it. Quite another to criticize other places in the process.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear me in case you didn't know the reason Leeds No 1 had chosen those ten towns in that other thread is because of a Kirstie Allsop and Phil Spencer programme which was on Channel 4 a couple of years ago and they chose those 10 locations as worst place in Britain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4136342.stm

Granted whilst their evidence might have been largely suspect it was still done relating to statistics. Regarding your comments regarding Harehills and Chapeltown yes they do have problems but doesn't everywhere especially your native Newcastle which I believe does have some rather heavily deprived areas and I believe only a few years ago a terraced house in one of the more deprived places had only cost £1. Anyway the council are attempting to revitalise Chapeltown and Harehills but of course as with everything it takes years, big ideas, image changes and lots of money to make a success of. I can't imagine your comment that Leeds should revitalise Harehills and Chapeltown over building Lumiere though. Surely with Britain being a free market country why shouldn't Leeds develop Lumiere tower. Can't imagine anywhere in the world except perhaps Scandinavia where they would revitalise every single area in favour of building landmark new developments.
Are you happy to form all your opinions based on the PR puff put out to promote a pseudo-reality Channel 4 TV shows hosted by 2 London estate agents? Last year it was Manchester, which is ahead of Leeds in terms of regeneration - don't come running to me when it's Leeds' turn on the spit. :)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
You obviously like to see this country, and probably the world, as some sort of giant Carling Premiership of places and cities Harrogate#1 and Val Verde.

Do you realize that people's lives are genuinely affected by this sort of guff? whole towns and communities shot down in flames in the media because they haven't got a Harvey Nicks, sushi bars or 'skyscrapers'?

It's one thing to be proud of where you are from, and tell people about it. Quite another to criticize other places in the process.
Now im sorry but you must have misread my post as I have not criticised Hull at all and am merely commenting on that everywhere has deprived areas. A mate of mine once went to see his then girlfriend in Hull and over there it is unadvisable to go out alone in many estates of night because of the risk of muggings and he heard stories of being being mugged in pure day light on main roads. Id love Newcastle and Hull to be as much of a success as Leeds and even commented that Kirstie Allsop programme was rather biased and untrueful especially as something as a list of crap towns is never going to be trueful and be completely objective. Can't we just leave it that everywhere has deprived areas but hopefully with gentrification and economic investment things might improve.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.