Somaliland freedom monument

Edna Adan Maternity Hospital, Hargeisa

Ambassador Hotel Hargeisa

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matthias Offodile said:
Wow, never seen pics from that place. How many inhabitants live in that city? And what is the last picture? a hotel or a bank?
I would estimate the city to have around 80,000 inhabitants perhaps slightly below or above the number. About the last building, I have no idea what is it's facility purpose. The last photo is classified as "new building".

·
Premium Member
30,190 Posts
Holy s***, it's Hargeisa!!

Been to that city at least 3 times...beautiful place...safe city, booming economically, just a great place to live in...$30,000 USD could buy you a modern mansion!!! That is a commercial building, BTW.

80,000 is a very conservative estimate of the population...I've been there, and it feels much larger than that...as there is many illegal housing, no census in Greater Somalia since 1975, and since the city has boomed in population since 1991...I would say that ~400-500,000 is possible...

If there are any questions to ask about the city, I could help...:yes:

·
Premium Member
30,190 Posts
Hargeisa is basically the opposite of what people think of "Somalia" (ambiguous there, they want to seperate)...

It's booming economically, growing with no aid, safe (the things happening south in Mogadishu do not affect it at all), refugees who saw success in the West invest back in the city (but inflate real estate values)...the city, along with most large cities in the North, are booming, in contrast to the South...the city is seeing a giant building boom...I might invest there in the future...

If Somaliland ever (if) seceeded from the rest of the country, I would not protest...in contrast to Mogadishu which is moving backward...they are going forward...

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Up this thread.. I think alot of people havent heard of Somaliland and this is a great thread for them.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
what the hell is this in somali. to be honest i never thought that some type of buildings tarmacked roads and not in mogadishu, speciallised hospitals mansions and nice looking peaceful neighbourhoods, there is flow if foreigh currency exist in somali and tenrot says it is peaceful??? WTF? why are we esp east africans not informed of such places in somali? we might do some investing!!! i totally blame this on the african media because as west displays all of africa as messed up, the african media displays the WHOLE of somali as a hell hole. i am ashamed that i dont know about such places and it is my neighbour. this city could blaze the trail for the rest of somalia to follow. I LIKE THE PLACE AND THE PICS, thanx for introducing me to this city

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
what the hell is this in somali. to be honest i never thought that some type of buildings tarmacked roads and not in mogadishu, speciallised hospitals mansions and nice looking peaceful neighbourhoods, there is flow if foreigh currency exist in somali and tenrot says it is peaceful??? WTF? why are we esp east africans not informed of such places in somali? we might do some investing!!! i totally blame this on the african media because as west displays all of africa as messed up, the african media displays the WHOLE of somali as a hell hole. i am ashamed that i dont know about such places and it is my neighbour. this city could blaze the trail for the rest of somalia to follow. I LIKE THE PLACE AND THE PICS, thanx for introducing me to this city
^^
Somaliland is different from the rest of Somalia. They have a different history and systems from the southern part of Somalia but how many people know or even care about that. My hope is that it will show the way for the rest of the country.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is Hargeisa, the capital of Somaliland, formerly known as British Somaliland. It was briefly an independent country for five days in 1960 before joining the Italian south. Today it is a de facto independent republic

·
Premium Member
30,190 Posts
Northern Somalia has a large and historic relation with Yemen. The two cultures are intermixed.

Somalia isn't only Mogadishu. This is in Somaliland where they got rid of war 16 years ago.

But, it's sad and true, East Africans don't know anymore about Somalia than Westerners do. I blame the war, which cut off the country from the rest of the world for some time.

Hargeisa isn't the only city in the area that's peaceful and rebuilt. Basically almost every city north of Mogadishu has recovered from the war and have moved on. If the people down in Mogadishu stopped fighting for once, maybe they would be booming too.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Northern Somalia has a large and historic relation with Yemen. The two cultures are intermixed.

Somalia isn't only Mogadishu. This is in Somaliland where they got rid of war 16 years ago.

But, it's sad and true, East Africans don't know anymore about Somalia than Westerners do. I blame the war, which cut off the country from the rest of the world for some time.

Hargeisa isn't the only city in the area that's peaceful and rebuilt. Basically almost every city north of Mogadishu has recovered from the war and have moved on. If the people down in Mogadishu stopped fighting for once, maybe they would be booming too.
Thanx man. i hope sets the example for mogadishu. DAMN STUPID WARLORDS

1 - 20 of 370 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.