SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
partybits
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Harper & Ontario premier McGuinty met for the first time in what many would say is a shot at the premier and Ontario. Personally I could care less for this political grandstanding. It's shameful but really almost expected of our politicians nowadays. Liberals can be accused of ignoring the plight of Klein while they were in power. However, I think Harper really went to far when he promoted the opposition leader (John Tory). This is in my opinion going way to far and is an hypocrisy of respecting a democratically elected leader.

I'm also surprised that it was given almost no coverage at all outside of the Ontario media. Scanning on the internet it's almost impossible to read anything about it.

Anyways, what are your opinions on this. Especially those from outside of Ontario.

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&lr...G:en&ct=title&ie=UTF-8&q=harper+mcguinty+snub

To score political points in Quebec, Stephen Harper is playing divisive and uncivil games in Ontario. It does not reflect well on him.

More than three months after he took office, the Prime Minister finally condescended to meet with Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty in a Toronto hotel this week. After a brief chat, Mr. Harper dodged photographers and questions. Instead, in an unusually partisan gesture, he swanned off to a fundraiser for the province's Progressive Conservative Leader, John Tory, delivering a 12-minute speech that hailed Mr. Tory as the "next premier of Ontario" and lavished praise on Quebec Premier Jean Charest, who was not even in attendance. It was a remarkably rude outing.

And it stands in lamentable contrast to his honeyed words yesterday in Quebec. At a ceremony at the National Assembly, Mr. Harper and Mr. Charest agreed to establish a formal role for Quebec at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Photographs were taken. Smiles all round. "The time has come to forge new relations with the provinces, relations that are open to all parts of the country and respectful of their differences," Mr. Harper proclaimed. "We need to work together with all orders of government, and recognize the roles and responsibilities of each."

So why did he snub Mr. McGuinty and his government? It seems that Ontario and Ottawa have differences, and Mr. Harper has no intention of respecting them. With one-third of the nation's population and more than one-third of its economic wealth, Ontario is under siege. Its economic growth trailed the national average last year. The high dollar is throttling its manufacturing industries. Compared with other provinces, its per-capita program spending is among the lowest, even though its tax revenues hover at the provincial average. Quite naturally, Mr. McGuinty has repeatedly denounced any federal scheme to shuffle extra funds to poorer provinces through the equalization program. Instead, he has called for equal per-capita transfers to all provinces.

His crime is to stand up for his province's taxpayers. Mr. Harper does not have much cash for extra transfers. So it would suit the Conservatives to channel those funds through the equalization program, which allows poorer provinces to provide roughly comparable levels of services for roughly comparable levels of taxation. That would mean more funds for Quebec, which, unlike Ontario, receives equalization.

In other words, it suits Mr. Harper to tilt his politics and his policies against Ontario. He should think again. He and Mr. Charest may be buddies. They may have ample reason to join together to boost Mr. Charest's re-election hopes and Mr. Harper's chances for a majority government. But Ottawa should not shortchange Ontario in the process. Mr. Harper's derisory and undignified snits risk damaging national unity. They are unworthy of a prime minister.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I like John Tory. And Dolthead McIdiot is an asshole. He shouldn't have won in the first place.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
harper wont meet with the premier unless its John tory.

Martin and Mcguinty had a coszy relationship and so did GTA, but not anymore. This is like the last standing liberal stronghold in this country.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
If we put in a high school drop out without any political background and is somehow the PC Leader that person would still be elected as next Premier. That's how bad Dalton screwed things up. All we need to do is remember the Health Tax.

And yes Blitz nobody in Windsor likes John Tory lol. He's been very vocal against the convention centre calling it a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
McGuilty, Tory, either way, Harper would be wise to remember which province calls the shots in this country. Just a matter of numbers, nothing personal.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
"^ Hey, he's made it clear that all he cares about is the GTA/905 belt. Screw him."

thats where the taxmoney and votes are.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think Harper beleives he can sweep Quebec and has no chance at cracking the Toronto area. However if he didn't act like a robot then he would win more seats. there were atleast 5 close races in the GTA.

·
261 Posts
thats where the taxmoney and votes are.
Doesn't matter...if he's going to become premier, he represents the entire province not just parts of it. This is why people in the north and the southwest get so perturbed - Tory talks as if we're not good enough to invest in and that we're 2nd class to the GTA.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
i know buts thats how the Liberals ran the country and how the conservatives will as well. It works in a way that you can be the leader of this country in ten years but then there is always a big political shift. Like how the 905s went almost all Liberal last provincal election from conservative.

·
Borat Sagdiev
818 Posts
Why would Harper care about Toronto? He didnt get one seat here! If i were him i would say F*CK Toronto too, i mean a perfect example is the waterfront airport condo crisis, all the people who live in those condos on the water near the airport, they all votes Liberal, and or NDP and now when the convervaties are elected they cry for help and ask them to stop the expansion! LOL .. F*CK YOU >>> thats what i would say.. you expect my support when you dont support me?? I mean of course he will only support the 905, so would i.. he knows he wont get votes in Toronto so why would he try and woo you over? why bother it wont ever happen.. so just look to Quebec, the Maritimes and Manitoba.. forget Toronto.. If he makes Quebec happy then poor old Toronto looses its say..

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
This is EXACTLY how Mulroney got into power and stayed there.
He catered to the soft Quebec nationalists and at the same time made himself out to be the champion of western Canada as he knew, as does Harper, that the Liberals will not make any dents in Alberta or Sask and only urban BC.
Ontario in the middle continues to get nothing.
When the Tories win they get they pander to Quebec and leave the feds out of Quebec and Edmonton's territory grasp while just trying to get enough Ontario seats to make a difference.
When the Liberals get in power it is ussually because they sweep Ontario and then take it for granted.
Either way Ontario gets screwed.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
McGuilty, Tory, either way, Harper would be wise to remember which province calls the shots in this country. Just a matter of numbers, nothing personal.
They were all in Alberta ? , cause thats who calls the Shots now bud.

Harper is cruising for a bruising. Resentment is building fast in Ontario. He will
not get elected again. He is counting on Quebec voting him in. Quebec jumping on the Conservative bandwagon? Gosh, that province is changing fast.
Ummm , like stated here many times , he has nothing to fear from Ontario , seeing as he got almost NO votes there any ways so what does he care?
they won with out Ont. and... I think they'd do it again.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts