SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
He's probably comparing it to one of his Texan non-cities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, I have a friend in Harrisburg and there definitely isn't any amish there. I enjoyed myself there, it has a couple decent clubs downtown.

·
18,174 Posts
i'm sure harrisburg has more to do than many of the cities in texas. since harrisburg is so close to philly, baltimore, wilmington, williamsport, and other cities, it can feed off of those cities. it's a "concentration of industry", except the term can be generalized to "concentration of society" (or something like that).

a texas city is at a disadvantage because many of those cites are farther away from each other. lubbock, texas, might be around the same size as harrisburg, but i would think harrisburg offers more to do because it is closer to other cities, and so there are more options available to the city. it might attract young people from baltimore or philly. it might attract upscale restaurants from new york city or washington dc. it might attract a minor league hockey team, with opponents playing in nearby cities like reading or annapolis or somewhere. a place like lubbock is out on an island, and has to go farther away to attract as much stuff. at some point, stuff will be too far away, and it would be better off doing without that thing.

so, harrisburg can definitely compete with what many texas cities have to offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts