SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a good summary of the problems I've seen here.

I've concluded that it really only makes sense to live here for the type of person who wants access to the PATH train for occasional trips to the city, but who also needs to have a car for work or family in suburban NJ. It's basically a stepping stone to the suburbs for childless couples who aren't ready to commit themselves to a house yet.

To/from Harrison, PATH on the weekends is almost unusable for running errands or making regular trips to the city every weekend, as I do. The service is too infrequent and slow. The other weekend it took me 1 hour just to go from 33rd st station to Harrison because the train missed the connection to the Newark train at Journal Square by 30 seconds, so we had to wait in the cold for 20 minutes for the next train. Even just going out for dinner in Jersey City feels like a chore sometimes.

Plus, the WTC station is closing on weekends for 2 years starting next month, so getting to the city will become even less convenient. And you can't really use NJTransit trains at Newark as a faster alternative because the PATH train doesn't run frequently enough. The stars need to align for the PATH schedule to sync up with NJTransit.

At this point, I might as well bite the bullet spend a little more to live in downtown Jersey City, where you can actually walk to get to most of what you would need.
I believe that Harrison is trying too hard to be the next Hoboken or Jersey City (downtown area) without realizing what makes them excellent. The "Riverbend District" is completely cut off from any major supermarket, retailer, or actual gym - requiring a car. In downtown JC or Hoboken you have car ownership probably around 50-60%, and they are squareish grid sections. I've found a lot of households in Harrison own 2 cars and many even commute by car. The population of Harrison might be lower, but dependence on driving is much stronger along with Kearny.

Harrison already has a HUGE bottleneck with Passiac Ave and FER Blvd, and it's only going to get worse as Kearny develops more. They tout these shuttles to the PATH station, but in reality they come every 20-30 minutes because they just sit in traffic. Buses can't move freely because they're stuck in the same traffic.

Harrison has these massive developments that take up 3-4 real blocks with no character and all rentals. The town is extremely transient because of this. I feel like as rents creep up even more (look at Cobalt Lofts) you will see mostly transplants that haven't done research. There's no way to actually invest in the growth unless you want to renovate a two family that isn't even close to the PATH. I'm better off spending that much in rent to live somewhere where I can walk to everything or shorten my commute. I also don't have to worry as much about missing the connection at JSQ on the weekend.

I also feel like a huge opportunity was missed to create street level retail on Cape May St. facing the the waterfront park that is to be built there. You could have had restaurants facing and lining the park to give it a feel similar to Sinatra Dr and to encourage more pedestrian traffic.

Meanwhile, it does look like construction at 1 Harrison Ave is nearing completion. It seems with how massive they made the sidewalk, parking will now only be on one side of the street. They are also starting construction on the other site next to Water's Edge (I believe owned by Pegasus?). I think it was a foolish idea to not continue Dey St. through that new development to increase the parking capacity in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for development - I'm just not sure an entire neighborhood of "luxury" rentals will ever have any sort of community or long term appeal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting perspective, but the retail and connectivity in streetscapes will come once more development fills in. Especially once the Hartz Mountain-owned site at 700 First Street is replaced by a park, retail, and midrise buildings, and completes the stretch between First Street and FER Blvd., you'll start to see much more foot traffic and activity.

btw - the site south of Water's Edge is indeed owned by Pegasus. There will be two buildings, with the first one (northern end) developed by BNE (which co-developed both One Harrison Ave & Water's Edge) and the second one (southern end) developed by Ironstate. While that first building is going up, Ironstate will be busy building out the site across the green from Urby (Building 4 of Harrison Commons).

·
Registered
16 Posts
The advertised rent on the new buildings is crazy- I’m seeing $2,400 for 1 bedrooms at Cobalt Lofts right now. I’m paying hundreds less in another newer building nearby.

I can only imagine they’re doing this on purpose in order to lure people in with 2-3 months free on the initial lease. Once their lease is up, people will move out to the next building offering incentives. It does not make sense to live in these buildings for more than a couple years.

Are there any renderings of the new building going up next to Urby on what used to be a surface lot? Looks like they started setting up for test piling yesterday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for development - I'm just not sure an entire neighborhood of "luxury" rentals will ever have any sort of community or long term appeal.
I agree. There is a missed opportunity to build sustainable middle class housing in Harrison and downtown Newark. They need to build more condos for sale so that people can become homeowners and invest in their communities.

If you want to buy a newish construction 1 bedroom, there are not many options available close to PATH stations affordable to someone making even $100k a year. Anything in Jersey City and Hoboken close to the train is way too expensive. And, from what I can tell, there is hardly any inventory of decent 1 bedroom units for sale in Harrison and downtown Newark. All the new construction is rentals.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Has building 4 of Harrison Commons started?
When I passed by the site on Saturday there were dozens of flags toward the center of the site. Not sure if they were for test pile locations, soil borings, or something else...should know more soon though. My guess is they start heavy construction before we're midway through the year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I passed by the site on Saturday there were dozens of flags toward the center of the site. Not sure if they were for test pile locations, soil borings, or something else...should know more soon though. My guess is they start heavy construction before we're midway through the year.
I noticed a piledriver there 1-2 weeks ago I believe? But I haven't looked again since then. The flags were still there too.

They've really been working full time at the site South of Water's Edge as well now, and 1 Harrison Ave is supposed to start renting on 4/1. I saw somewhere else that Harrison Yards is supposed to start leasing Spring 2019 - very fast construction compared to 1 Harrison Ave!

Looking forward to seeing the construction start on the lots north of Vermella, the neighborhood will look much better without those open lots in front of Red Bull Arena.

It looks like The Vanguard has pushed their opening date back (again) and it is now listed as Summer 2019. I believe Ah Pizz had similiar pushbacks and lengthy construction times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
https://jerseydigs.com/550-units-planned-along-passaic-river-south-first-bergen-street-harrison/

Construction (for the few weeks) has begun in earnest at this site. Anyone have the scoop on these planned 550 units?
Would like to know this too, haven't seen any renderings or anything about it.

Not extending Dey and Essex streets was a poor decision as well. That block is going to be massive and it would have been nicer to have more trees along the streets instead of just the huge lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would like to know this too, haven't seen any renderings or anything about it.

Not extending Dey and Essex streets was a poor decision as well. That block is going to be massive and it would have been nicer to have more trees along the streets instead of just the huge lot.
The original plan can be found at: http://thepegasusgroup.com/projects/harrison-station-future-phases/
There was a lot of pushback on the colors so that has supposedly been changed.

I agree that not extending Dey is a huge mistake. Unfortunately, I think the town of Harrison has totally thrown the redevelopment plan out the window and is all about the 1970-80s superblock.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
181 - 200 of 222 Posts