SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had to happen. This is the Harry Seidler Appreciation thread, a thread dedicated to those who appreciate some of his designs and towers.
Here is his website http://www.seidler.net.au/

I know there are people who do find his architecture interesting and in some cases fantastic. I myself think that many of his buildings will never date unlike much of the stuff going up now - Australia Square and many like it look as cutting edge as they did 40 years ago.

Perhaps I am alone here but I do think his designs are unique in the world and Australia is lucky to have him.

So please feel free to post your own favorite Harry Seidler building.

Here is my all time favorite Seidler - and favorite in Sydney, GROSVENOR PLACE. I just love this tower, its powerful to the max. Has anyone seen the lobby? (drool)

What a shame this was never built - grollo tower Melbourne

Anyway feel free to post your favorite Seidler.

JayT

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
thats one thing about our harry that i ll always admire! he made no little plans. everything is BIG!!

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
the developer told me how every unit in these towers have views towards swan river.they said they couldnt believe how good the project was.harrys always thinking.
atleast ther not boring glass boxes. :)

·
Here
6,589 Posts
My favs of his would be the MLC (as shown above), the QV1 in Perth (2 below) and the Horizon (last pic).

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
chrilaz89aus said:
what perth can expect soon by harry-
They look pretty much akin to Marina City (corncobs) in chicago after a tornado has half demolished them, IMO.

I rate Capita Centre above his other buildings.

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
my fav will always be MLC. its still most powerful looking skyscraper in Australia!
all sides go up to full height. not many can boast this.even Rialto only has one skinny 3m wide section that rises full height.Eureka will only have a small narrow side rising full height from immediate ground level.most of tallest in Australia have either setbacks or spire terminations.Q1 will only have a narrow section rising to highest part which will be front.
but not harrys fortress!
228m straight up.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
sirhc8 said:
No pictures truly do Capita Centre justice. It's an amazing building in person.
The funny thing is many of us like this above all his other towers... it deviates so strongly from his modernist roots - I have always wondered why he went down this path - it is really the black sheep of his large building projects, in Australia anyhow.

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,467 Posts
it is with deep , and i mean deep regret, that unfortunately, i don't have a favourite " Harry Building ! "

:puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke::puke: :puke:

Cheers

Lozza :rock:

·
5,160 Posts
An architect is truly amazing when he can generate such disparate opinions on his work.

Seidler's designs are truly unique (as in, from other architects' designs - not necessarily from each other!), and I think they (well, most of them) are fantastic!

With the exception of Blues Point Tower, I like them all, and I really love Horizon, Cove, Australia Square, Grosvenor, Riverside Place and the new Perth towers! :D

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
The Collector said:
It's Australia Square and The Capita Centre pictured below that do it for me. :)
My faves too.

Although Capita Centre isn't doing too well in the Rate Our Talls series. James2390 thinks it's a joke, even after I posted all the nice pics of it I could find. :no:

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
in todays paper they said harry is still in a serious cond but stable.it might be a while until we see harry again.

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
i dont mind his Blues point tower.
simple, elegant brick highrise. tallest apartments in Australia by far in 1961.first strata titled also.

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Muse said:
My faves too.

Although Capita Centre isn't doing too well in the Rate Our Talls series. James2390 thinks it's a joke, even after I posted all the nice pics of it I could find. :no:
None of Harrys buildings do well in Rate Our Talls, strange that. He has never really been that well regarded overseas, (except for in Austria).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts