SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some of you who aren't aware of this story, he's the guy that when Bush spoke in Charlotte recently, he openly let Bush know how he felt in terms of how disappointed he was with how the war in Iraq was handled, the economy, and so forth. Even all of that have seemed to have gotten him some national and worldwide attention. I even read an article in the latest Creative Loafing Charlotte where it mentioned some of the recent protests in Charlotte over the Anti-Immigration issue, where a lot of the Latinos even protested in droves in Charlotte as well as other cities and the protests that took place when Bush was in Charlotte in addition to Harry Taylor's comments directed @ Bush. I've been thinking, with all of this taking place in seemingly conservative Charlotte, this may have given some of the people in Charlotte who have more Liberal viewpoints a new sense of confidence in that they finally have a voice in Charlotte and that they will be a little more vocal now than they have been in the past. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I do not think you have to be Liberal, to question some of the things that are going on in Washington, not only with Bush, but Congress.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
CLTNC said:
I do not think you have to be Liberal, to question some of the things that are going on in Washington, not only with Bush, but Congress.
True, but I think what I'm trying to say is that since he had the courage to speak his mind and say the things he said to Bush, I think that the Liberal groups in Charlotte who felt like they could not speak out on issues that were important to them before because of the conservative influence that was present in Charlotte may use this as motivation to stand up to the Conservative establishment and/or status quo in Charlotte and let their voices be heard and let them know that "We are here and we're not going anywhere, you will have to deal with us." I hope I'm making myself clear on what angle I'm coming from on this.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
prwfromnc said:
True, but I think what I'm trying to say is that since he had the courage to speak his mind and say the things he said to Bush, I think that the Liberal groups in Charlotte who felt like they could not speak out on issues that were important to them before because of the conservative influence that was present in Charlotte may use this as motivation to stand up to the Conservative establishment and/or status quo in Charlotte and let their voices be heard and let them know that "We are here and we're not going anywhere, you will have to deal with us." I hope I'm making myself clear on what angle I'm coming from on this.
It very may well encourage more liberals to be more vocal and may draw more of them. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There's an underlying (and, I think, false) assumption here that liberals have been historically afraid to speak out in Charlotte. Also, I question the connection between Latin immigrants and liberalism.

Politics here, like politics anywhere, are pretty complicated. Just because Charlotte seems conservative, doesn't mean it doesn't have an active liberal community. Harry Taylor is just one example of that community speaking out on a national stage.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I don't think Charlotte is as conservative as outsiders think. Local politicians are republican-heavy, but I believe the liberal candidate took Charlotte in the last two presidential elections, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nostyle said:
I don't think Charlotte is as conservative as outsiders think. Local politicians are republican-heavy, but I believe the liberal candidate took Charlotte in the last two presidential elections, if I'm not mistaken.
I think Bush won Charlotte in 2000, but Kerry won Charlotte in 2004. I remember researching this stuff some time ago last year.

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
prwfromnc said:
I think Bush won Charlotte in 2000, but Kerry won Charlotte in 2004. I remember researching this stuff some time ago last year.
That is correct; to give you a point of reference, Kerry beat beat Bush in Columbia by about 30% and in Richland County by 15% and Gore won by about the same margins in 2000.

·
Registered
659 Posts
nostyle said:

I agree NoStyle. Charlotte - and NC as a whole - are not as conservative as some of our neighbors...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts