Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all these are skyscrapers but each has historic or architectural significance. Hope you enjoy.

The Old State House
Built 1796, this building sits on the site where General George Washington first met French General Rochambeau. Together they planned the Yorktown Campaign that won the Revolutionary War. The building itself was the site of the Connecticut Convention and the first Amistad trial.

The Colt Building
Former armory, rebuild in 1865, site where American industrialist Samuel Colt produced the Colt 45 among other weapons. Many myths surround the rooftop blue onion dome but no one knows the its true origin. Currently being turned into apartments

The Connecticut State Capitol.
Started in 1871 and finished 1879, its architectural style is described as high Victorian Gothic. Amazingly detailed building is the seat of government.

The Mark Twain House
Built in 1873, parts of the house were modeled after a Mississippi riverboat. Twain lived here for 20 years and wrote many of his most important works in that time. It is currently a museum.

The Travelers Tower.
Constructed in 1919, it was New England’s tallest building and the world’s 7th tallest building when completed. It was the first building taller than 500 feet (527) built outside of New York. Still home to the insurance company that bears its name.

The Phoenix Mutual Building. (The Boat Building)
The world’s first two-sided skyscraper was finished in 1963. It tops out at over 215 feet but the alternating blue and green glass accents the building horizontally making it look shorter. The boat faces the Connecticut River which is a five-minute walk from its doors.

One Corporate Center. (The Stilts Building)
Added to the Hartford skyline in 1981, the distinctive “stilts building” breaks the concept of the glass box by setting it atop concrete piles. A skeptical city demanded a stress test that filled the 22nd floor with concrete bags before they allowed occupancy.

The Connecticut Science Center.
Finished in 2009, this glass cathedral of science features a 143-foot atrium topped by a floating “magic carpet” roof. The angles, set backs and reflections of the exterior walls give the building a sense of movement as it juts forward from its base.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some other signifcant buildings.

Thought I would add this in. These are not as unique but these three skyscrapers along with the previous mentioned 527-foot Traveler's Tower (Hartford's second tallest) make up the city's tallest quartet.

Hartford 21, the city's tallest residential building, tops out at 444 feet.

Goodwin Square, with its signature octagonal top, reaches 522 feet.

City Place, the tallest building in the city and the state of Connecticut, stands 535 feet.

This is how the buildings relate to each other in the city. Left to right, H21, City Place and Goodwin at the core of downtown, the buildings are within fifty yards of each other. The mostly blocked, small white building in the background between H21 and City Place is the BOA Building which stands 360 feet tall.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Thanks for the tour, I'm looking to visit the city again next weekend.

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Great thread. And the comments about city buildings are very interesting.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Is there an observation deck anywhere in Hartford?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
I'm thinking of going there on the weekend. What is the parking situation in downtown Hartford? I'm used to walking long distances and I just want to leave my car in one place, should I look for a paid parking (any recommendations?) or just park on the street (availability? safety?). Judging by google pics there are plenty of parking lots, are those for employees mostly?

Also, are there any areas that I should avoid due to crime? I'm usually not too worried about crime, but I'm not going alone.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,859 Posts
Maybe this is too late to say since you are probably already there or went there already (it is the weekend after all), but I think you could pay as little as $3-5 or so if you stay for two hours on a weekend day. Downtown is safe, and most problems in general are gang-related and out of the limelight, most of the worst areas in the city are desolate anyway in the daytime.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Thanks, I didn't go, because weather.com reported raining there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only observation deck is Travelers Tower.

The Travelers Tower observation deck is open to the public on weekdays from May through October, free of charge. For more information, call 860-277-4208 or 860-277-0111.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts