Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and welcome to the Hartford Development News thread.

All Greater Hartford development will go on this thread from now on. I have been asked to split Hartford, and it will happen now. I WILL continue to post in the parent thread, Connecticut Development News, but that will be development articles outside the Hartford Area.

Thanks for reading! I hope that this thread is a success like the Connecticut thread!

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some background information:

Hartford, Connecticut

Hartford is the capital of the State of Connecticut. It is located in Hartford County on the Connecticut River, north of the center of the state. As of the 2000 census, it had a population of 121,578, but a July 1, 2005 Census estimate put the city's population at 124,397. It is the third largest city in the state, after Bridgeport and New Haven. Greater Hartford is also the largest metro area in Connecticut and 44th in the country (2004 census estimate) with a population of 1,184,241.

Sometimes referred to as the "insurance capital of the world," Hartford houses many of the world's insurance company headquarters, and insurance is one of the region's major industries.(The State of Connecticut is sometimes still known as "the land of steady habits.") The region has a relatively low population of adults between the ages of 18 and 25, although Hartford itself has a relatively young population.

More information on Hartford can be found on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All from the Capital City Economic Development Authority:

Adriaen’s Landing

The 30-acre Adriaen's Landing site includes the new Connecticut Convention Center and Downtown Marriott Hotel. Two additional components are under development: The Connecticut Center for Science and Exploration and a residential/retail district. Tying together acclaimed destinations such as the Connecticut River and the Wadsworth Atheneum, the development is part of a comprehensive effort that is re-energizing Connecticut's Capital City of Hartford and the region.

The Connecticut Development Center:

Already Completed in 2005. All info below is from the website at http://www.ctconventions.com/

About the Convention Center:

The Connecticut Convention Center is the Northeast's newest, most ideal location for trade shows, conventions and business meetings - or any occasion that demands a dramatic riverfront setting. The Connecticut Convention Center is located on the eastern edge of Downtown Hartford, overlooking the beautiful Connecticut River and Adriaen’s Landing, the city’s exciting new riverfront district.

THE VENUE.
With over 140,000 square feet of exhibition space, a 40,000 square foot ballroom and 25,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, it is the largest convention facility between New York and Boston, featuring exceptional highway access at the crossroads of New England, where Interstates 84 and 91 meet. Already a prominent visual addition to Hartford’s skyline, the Connecticut Convention Center’s 110-foot glass atrium dramatically rises ten stories above a grand public plaza and a tree-lined riverfront esplanade.

THE AMENITIES.
A pristine new venue, the Connecticut Convention Center has been constructed to spare no detail in making every function accommodating. From state-of-the-art rigging, wiring and WiFi to flexible spaces, abundant pre-function areas and on-site sheltered parking, the facility has taken every facet of hosting an event into consideration.

THE SERVICE.
The Connecticut Convention Center offers total coverage from start to finish with every event. Our SALES STAFF will ensure your event’s success and exceed your expectations for personal service from planning to follow-up for EVENT PLANNERS, EXHIBITORS and ATTENDEES alike. The EVENT MANAGEMENT STAFF takes a hands-on approach to client service, developing a reliable partnership by offering comprehensive event planning information designed to minimize the complexities and maximize the success of each event. Additionally, our COMMUNICATIONS STAFF, BUSINESS CENTER and exclusive CATERING SERVICES will enhance the experience of having an event take place with the greatest of ease.

·
18,282 Posts
It was time for this thread. I've been looking at the "Connecticut Development News" thread recently, and it has some good activity. Hartford is too big of a city to get lumped in with the rest of the state, and there is too much going on in other parts of the state to let Hartford get mixed in with all of this. So, I told Rotten777 to spin off Hartford.

I'd prefer if Rotten or someone made a list of the projects in Hartford, and gave other information: height, usage, status (proposed, under construction, etc), location, and so on. Try to have that somewhere on the first page so that everyone can see it without having to look around everywhere.

Let's limit this to things going on inside Hartford's city limits. East Hartford, New Britain, suburbs, etc can go in the Connecticut thread. Also, let's do a good job of keeping discussions about developments in Hartford out of the Connecticut thread.

I think this thread will do well.

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Connecticut Science Center:

Under Construction, completion projected for 2008. Here's a rendering:

Official Website: http://ctsciencecenter.org/

Facts & Figures:

-Located in Hartford, Connecticut’s capital city, on the banks of the Connecticut River

-Part of the exciting 30-acre Adriaen’s Landing development and the downtown Hartford renaissance

-144,000 square foot building

-40,000 square feet of exhibit space

-3D Science Theater – 200 seats

-The “Aerie” – an observation platform extending over the river from the building with dramatic views of the Connecticut River and surrounding landscape

-An accessible, planted roof which adds to the energy-efficiency of the building while allowing visitors to relax outdoors, view the night sky, and attend special functions

-Pfizer Science Education and Discovery Center – Four specially equipped classrooms, including a Forensic Science Lab

-Outdoor plaza providing easy access to the Connecticut River waterfront via direct connection to the Riverwalk Promenade and the brand new Connecticut Convention Center

-Parking for approximately 470 vehicles

-Conference and facility rentals for private, corporate and community use

Construction Progress Photos as of May 2007:

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was time for this thread. I've been looking at the "Connecticut Development News" thread recently, and it has some good activity. Hartford is too big of a city to get lumped in with the rest of the state, and there is too much going on in other parts of the state to let Hartford get mixed in with all of this. So, I told Rotten777 to spin off Hartford.

I'd prefer if Rotten or someone made a list of the projects in Hartford, and gave other information: height, usage, status (proposed, under construction, etc), location, and so on. Try to have that somewhere on the first page so that everyone can see it without having to look around everywhere.

Let's limit this to things going on inside Hartford's city limits. East Hartford, New Britain, suburbs, etc can go in the Connecticut thread. Also, let's do a good job of keeping discussions about developments in Hartford out of the Connecticut thread.

I think this thread will do well.
I will make a complete list of the developments in a few hours, when I come back.

Sorry for that, I thought when you were talking about a list, you meant to show all the developments going on all at once, one by one. A definite list will come soon.

·
PC LOAD LETTER
7,749 Posts
I don't quite understand the rationale for the decision to split off the threads. At CT Devo News we only have 5 regular contributors (me, StamfordCT, tyork, rotten and VOR), of whom only the last two are in the capital region. This is barely enough participants to get one thread going and the conversation flowing, not to mention two threads.

Also, there really isn't enough going on in the city of Hartford to warrant its own thread (perhaps if you include W Hartford and E Hartford, it may be different, but still).

What I suggest is forming a "Connecticut Development News 2" (incl. Hartford) thread where we can outright list the current projects in the state on the first page, along with heights, status, renderings, etc. This should all be in one or two posts; I can contribute the info for southern CT; then we can continuously update it to add pics or new projects.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't quite understand the rationale for the decision to split off the threads. At CT Devo News we only have 5 regular contributors (me, StamfordCT, tyork, rotten and VOR), of whom only the last two are in the capital region. This is barely enough participants to get one thread going and the conversation flowing, not to mention two threads.

Also, there really isn't enough going on in the city of Hartford to warrant its own thread (perhaps if you include W Hartford and E Hartford, it may be different, but still).

What I suggest is forming a "Connecticut Development News 2" (incl. Hartford) thread where we can outright list the current projects in the state on the first page, along with heights, status, renderings, etc. This should all be in one or two posts; I can contribute the info for southern CT; then we can continuously update it to add pics or new projects.
agreed,

I appreciate seeing my city up there but Stamford has more going on right now :(

anyhoo i gotta sleep Im sick

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woonsocket, if you are willing to make that thread, it would be a great idea.

If it is made, I will repost this data in the new thread.

Anyway, here is the list for Hartford's high-rise projects (note: some have been completed). I have added pictures and renderings to make it more visible to see what is going on.

More on the other projects, like residences (including in the suburbs) tomorrow!

Downtown:

Marriott Hotel at the Convention Center: Completed in 2005.

It is 22 stories tall, with 700 rooms. It is also linked to the Convention Center which I already talked about above.

Hartford Civic Center, with Hartford 21 development

The Hartford Civic Center has been renovated greatly, with the demolition of the failing Civic Center mall inside. What has taken it's place is a 37-story residential tower which will contain apartments (tallest building built in Hartford in over 20 years), with street-level commercial development. While it's completed, I don't think it's finished yet.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
The Hartford Civic Center has been renovated greatly, with the demolition of the failing Civic Center mall inside. What has taken it's place is a 37-story residential tower which will contain apartments (tallest building built in Hartford in over 20 years), with street-level commercial development. While it's completed, I don't think it's finished yet.

Looks like Hartford is really beginning to catch the development wave! This residential towers is very impressive. Certainly there's more than enough development underway in Hartford to warrant a seperate local thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although it's nice I'm skeptical that this project will be completed by the end of the decade, if it gets off the ground. It seems that everything in this city is done at a snail's pace. In the four years I lived in Vancouver, dozens of highrise condos went up. Is it the bureaucracy that holds things up in Hartford? After being here a year it seems that lots of projects and renderings come out but they either never get built or are much smaller and unimpressive once completed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is a project by Northland Corp. They just finished a 35-floor apartment building a few block away. It's already 2007 and this is a big project so the end of the decade is not out of the question. Projects of this size also go through revisions, that wouldn't be a surprise. But Northland has a track record of following though on their ideas. As I said, they have already bought the land.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
That's a sharp tower! I hope it gets built.

·
Premium Member
30,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Although it's nice I'm skeptical that this project will be completed by the end of the decade, if it gets off the ground. It seems that everything in this city is done at a snail's pace. In the four years I lived in Vancouver, dozens of highrise condos went up. Is it the bureaucracy that holds things up in Hartford? After being here a year it seems that lots of projects and renderings come out but they either never get built or are much smaller and unimpressive once completed.
Vancouver is in a totally different position than Hartford.

There, they really don't need to attract people to come downtown, because people already do. They are in a total different time stage than Hartford, which is still trying to attract people to move in.

Bureaucracy isn't that big of a problem here, as the government is the main player in all this revitalization, it's the fact that developers and politicians aren't thinking big enough. They are afraid of a White Elephant.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That Condo is planned for the YMCA residential towers location on the Park.

I wouldnt hold my breath for 2010 because I am sure the plan was to get Hartford 21 up close to full occupancy before starting another hundred million dollar project downtown. The City likely could sustain it now as they are condos and not apartments, But Northland wants to be in a better position I'm Sure. Hell they have a great deal of retail space that needs tennants at the Civic centert mall area that would act as indicators of Hartfords downtown health.

This is the first rendering I have seen of the project and Its very nice. I am not sure though if I would like something a little more historic looking in that location however. you have to remember this building will mirror the capitol building. So for my money it has to either "fit in" or contrast so greatly that it works (like the John Handcock tower in Boston)

1 - 20 of 134 Posts