SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illegal aliens that is :D Anyway, it's one of those problems that affect every city especially well developed one such as London, New York or even Dubai.

Every major city will have it's problem of large populations of illegal immigrants or undocumented aliens and the numbers are rising. The main purpose for them coming to well developed cities is work and higher salaries. In fact there are some companies that hire these workers especially construction companies.

Such problem is in HK where there is a significant population of illegal aliens mostly from The Mainland, Philippines or South Asia. That's why HK residents are required to carry their HK ID cards wherever they go or passport if you're a tourist. The HK police do random check if they find someone suspicious and if they think he/she's illegal.

Anyway, is illegal immigration a problem in your city?

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fusionist said:
I could be mistaken, but you yourself seem to be a mixed origin immigrant to HK ?
I was born in HK my but parents moved to HK from The Philippines although my mom's from Malaysia. But my parents are not illegal immigrants and they carry HK Permanent Identity Cards. It give them the right of abode in HK.

But there are several times that I got my ID checked by HK police. I hate it but I get used to it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yes, there are some patrol officers at the border.... they catch maybe 1 out of 1000 of the people who sneak in every day.

·
121,773 Posts
WANCH said:
Such problem is in HK where there is a significant population of illegal aliens mostly from The Mainland, Philippines or South Asia. That's why HK residents are required to carry their HK ID cards wherever they go or passport if you're a tourist. The HK police do random check if they find someone suspicious and if they think he/she's illegal.
Hong Kong's illegal immigration problem has decreased substantially. The illegal alien population is not significant. ID card checks are more for criminal warrant activities such as the triads nowadays and visa overstayers.

Source : http://www.info.gov.hk/hkfacts/immi.pdf

The arrival of the first group of 3743 Vietnamese boat people in May 1975 marked the prelude of a massive influx of Vietnamese migrants into Hong Kong. From 1975-2004, 143,714 refugees were resettled overseas from Hong Kong. During 2004, 164 Vietnamese illegal immigrants arrived in HK compared to 165 in 2003 and 241 in 2002. At the end of 2004, 214 Vietnamese illegal immigrants remained in HK.

In the early 1960s and 1970s, there were mass influxes of illegal immigrants from mainland China. However, the immigration policy was changed in 1980 whereby no illegal immigrant from the mainland was allowed to remain in HK. During 2004, 8 illegal immigrants were arrested each day compare to a daily average of 10 arrests in 2003.

·
artistry is in my blood
119 Posts
KOREANS are invading my city Iloilo. You can see many Koreans anywhere. Most of them are having their schooling here (English) and perhaps some of them are tourists. Maybe because Iloilo is the nearest highly urbanized city to Boracay and is accessible to Palawan.

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ark said:
KOREANS are invading my city Iloilo. You can see many Koreans anywhere. Most of them are having their schooling here (English) and perhaps some of them are tourists. Maybe because Iloilo is the nearest highly urbanized city to Boracay and is accessible to Palawan.
There are alot of Koreans that move to The Philippines but most of them are legal though. It's surprising though that alot of them moved to other Philippines cities such as Baguio or Angeles.

·
121,773 Posts

·
Metallica Band Member
648 Posts
Illegal immigrants in Malaysia comprise a substantial portion of the Malaysian population, numbering as many as two million by some estimates. Most of them are from nearby Southeast Asian countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines.

As of 2005, it is estimated by the government that there are as many as 1.2 million illegal immigrants in Malaysia, a substantial number of them hailing from Indonesia, Malaysia's poorer neighbour.However, a sizeable number are of Filipino, Han Chinese or Indian origin.

The government's estimate of 1.2 million illegal immigrants may be a conservative number, however. Some non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have placed the number of illegal immigrants in the state of Sabah alone in the realm of two million, comprising two-thirds of the state's population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigrants_in_Malaysia

Since the 1980s when Malaysia first experienced economic boom, the country has seen massive influx of immigrants and foreigners from many neighboring countries such as Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Myanmar. Recently, Malaysia has been the destination for many Bangladeshis, Indians and Pakistanis that are looking for employment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendatang_asing

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, firstly, it should say "HAVE aliens invaded your city?" I'm Sorry for being a grammar-nazi, I just had to point that out. I read this article that Idaho was 10% illegal immigrant, but I don't believe it, I'd guess that 5% was fair.

·
Registered
153 Posts
WANCH said:
Illegal aliens that is :D Anyway, it's one of those problems that affect every city especially well developed one such as London, New York or even Dubai.

Every major city will have it's problem of large populations of illegal immigrants or undocumented aliens and the numbers are rising. The main purpose for them coming to well developed cities is work and higher salaries. In fact there are some companies that hire these workers especially construction companies.

Anyway, is illegal immigration a problem in your city?
So, Mainland Chinese cannot live in HK if they so choose? I guess I need to wikipedia Hong Kong and brush up on this!!

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
smartlake said:
Well, firstly, it should say "HAVE aliens invaded your city?" I'm Sorry for being a grammar-nazi, I just had to point that out. I read this article that Idaho was 10% illegal immigrant, but I don't believe it, I'd guess that 5% was fair.
English is my 2nd language ;)

Anyway as with the Illegal Vietnamese in HK, yes alot of them have been repatriated. I actually visited The Whitehead Detention Centre when it was still operational. But now I think it was converted to a recreation area.

·
121,773 Posts
smartlake said:
So, Mainland Chinese cannot live in HK if they so choose? I guess I need to wikipedia Hong Kong and brush up on this!!
Mainland Chinese cannot gain HK residency automatically. That policy has been in place since 1980. HK's illegal immigration problem has died down significantly by the 1990s. It was more a 1970s and 1980s problem.

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hkskyline said:
Mainland Chinese cannot gain HK residency automatically. That policy has been in place since 1980. HK's illegal immigration problem has died down significantly by the 1990s. It was more a 1970s and 1980s problem.
I think what they do is they end up settling in Shenzhen which is right next to HK.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
My first impression based on your title was like ET like aliens invading cities?
Then after reading thru your summary, I realized that you were talking about illegal aliens/immigrants. Well, in the big city like Chicago, you can always be sure there are lots of illegal aliens since Chicago is also known as "the city that works" even for the illegals i guess! :)

·
121,773 Posts
WANCH said:
I think what they do is they end up settling in Shenzhen which is right next to HK.
Not really. There is a secondary border in Shenzhen that restricts migrants from flowing in. While some do get in, there is a control in place to limit those numbers.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
To add to Chicago... for a city that is in the middle of a country, we have many aliens... Chicago is built by immigrants + advanced by immigrants. Chicago is surely an immigrant city of the past, present, and future. Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the US, after LA and fourth largest Hispanic/Latino population after, LA, NYC, and Miami... plus many Azns, probably first or second in South Asians, and like Top 5 for other Asians too... Chicago has the 1st or 2nd largest black population.... for a city with that much immigrants, we surely have aliens...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts