Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from visiting the city and IMO it has got to be the most underrated city in Europe if not the world. They have millions of little alleyways with medieval buildings and it is just breathtaking. Look at an aerial pic on wikipedia on Brugge. The old section is humongous! It is nicknamed the Venice of the north because of its canals. I rode on a gondola styled boat for 5 Euros and it was well worth it. They have two large churches with towers as tall as some skyscrapers. The food is great (Belgian wafels with cream and chocalate) and the city is extremely clean. It is funny how the kids ride throughout the old district to get to school. Most American parents are too over protective to let them do such a thing. I stayed in the Crowne Plaza Hotel there and it was luxurious. The architecture around Brugge is beautiful. The rooves are like stairs going up. It is a good day trup for French, Belgians, and Hollanders, and a great point for oversea people to start a European excursion. It is so romantic. If you are traveling around Europe I can't stress enough of visiting this city. I had a wonderful time and trust me, you will too.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Yes. Kind of a smaller, cuter version of Amsterdam, Munich, etc.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Only 2 hours from Amsterdam by train if I remember correctly (via Antwerp). If somebody goes to Amsterdam then they are mad not to go to Brugge. I prefer Brugge to Amstredam. In the late summer, a trip on the canals, then some blonde beer and some fine chocolates. You can't beat it!!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! How is Antwerp? Brussels is nice but is more on the modern side.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brugge is magnificent! In the Middle-ages it was one of the most important cities of Europe. Still...in summer during holidays it's maybe too crowded by tourists..like little Venice or so. But that's the same all over the world.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ I love it so much. What is your favorite part of the city?
IMO there must be 10,000 souveneir shops in Brugge. Seriously-- There were about 3 on every street! Alot of lace, chocolate, and tapestry stores too. But what can you expect? You are in lovely Belgium!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you seen the wooden house. Its nice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts