SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have pre-conceived ideas about many different cities we have never or barely been to.

Of course the photothreads on SSC can be usefull to know them better but there is always a selection process. In the end photo threads tend to show us what the photographer wants, nothing more.

Now that google street view and some other local softwares is covering an increasing number of cities, we are almost free to look at how any place looks like directly.

So, like the title thus suggests, has street view changed the way you see some of these cities? Or even "Cities" as a whole?

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
Well, I've learned about the style of cities through streetview..but I can't say I have many preconceived ideas about waht the city will look like.

Although, yes, if I 'streetview' a European or Japanese city I will have a preconceived idea that the city will be dense..

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I had a lot of preconceived ideas about Paris, for example. I had been there once before but I only had time to see some of the touristic areas. Although I always consider myself someone who's eager to explore off the beaten path.
But I was looking at the city on streetview and realized that, yes it is a real city and even within the ring road there are plenty of gritty areas, Mcdonalds', poverty, and lots of different people from around the world (not just tourists) in most neighborhoods. But also plenty of beauty around random corners that make the city so varied and interesting. Often this side of Paris is confusingly absent in most media depictions of it. So I wish I could have seen more of contemporary Paris in person instead of the touristy 19th century idea of what many people consider the city to be

I also enjoyed seeing Rio de Janeiro on Streetview

I found London and Barcelona to be rather ugly in the looks department. I was surprised at how beautiful Madrid looked on Streetview but a little to "classical" and "old world" for my taste:lol:

·
No More Italian Mod
39,863 Posts
Not particular preconceived ideas, but streetview, anyway, gave me the opportunity to 'visit' many places of cities you can hardly visit as 'tourist', as suburbs, for istance. Learning many many interesting things... ubviously it is stuff for urban maniacs like SSC forumers, not for normal people :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think it will be an excellent tool for future historians. Can you imagine if we had detailed pictures of almost every single building and street in cities from the past?

In fact on Google Earth there is already something like that as you can get (in some cases) aerial and satellite images going back to the 1970s.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
Australia just looks boring on Street View.

But I could have told you that before.

·
Margela Schurkel
1,939 Posts
I think it will be an excellent tool for future historians. Can you imagine if we had detailed pictures of almost every single building and street in cities from the past?

In fact on Google Earth there is already something like that as you can get (in some cases) aerial and satellite images going back to the 1970s.
There are even pre-war pictures of German cities. You can see the intact street and building-pattern.

·
pooh bear
7,619 Posts
Yeah, its really gave me a better understanding of how Latin American cities are structured (they may look messy, thus poor, but no real slums). Also Macau looks ridiculously rich on street view, really made me want to take a visit there. Europe looks exactly like I envisioned it, except for Eastern Europe (only Czech Republic so far), a lot more commieblocks than I had thought. Hawaii looks awesome, but the rest of US and all of Japan are in low resolution so I have no desire to look at them until they retake the photos.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I was quite surprised about the lack of houses in european suburbs and the quantity of it in Japan, i always thougth it would be the other way around. And i was surprised too that Hong Kong had only 6 millions inhabitants, because the way they put giant towers everywhere make it seens it could be much more.

And, although i'm not alienated and even thougth it was really fun to see all the brazilian forumers geting suddenly surprised that their country was so poor, but i was expecting something better from São Paulo.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was really fun to see all the brazilian forumers geting suddenly surprised that their country was so poor

I want to see that, was it a thread on the brazilian forum?

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
^^

Yes it was. Some people thought cities were like shiny glassy towers everywhere...

Street View is a brilliant tool, in fact is a very nice way to understand the dynamic of cities. It has helped me to realize how boring sprawly cities are and how interesting dense places can be.

·
Taking On The World
26,452 Posts
^^ The reactions are very interesting, although there is clearly something pathetic about them...
FEW people were surprised. Elitists who never left their rich bubbles. The nationalists who only praise Brazil at the international forums.

the other people are just pointing out "it IS poor, stop being stupid"

·
Banned
4,637 Posts
FEW people were surprised. Elitists who never left their rich bubbles. The nationalists who only praise Brazil at the international forums.

the other people are just pointing out "it IS poor, stop being stupid"
Brazil is not poor.

For a considerable minority, Brazil offers a splendid lifestyle, MUCH higher than the average european can dream of. :)

If you are lucky enough to be in those bubbles in Brazil, few places in the world would match.

·
Taking On The World
26,452 Posts
Brazil is not poor.

For a considerable minority, Brazil offers a splendid lifestyle, MUCH higher than the average european can dream of. :)

If you are lucky enough to be in those bubbles in Brazil, few places in the world would match.
THUS, its poor. :eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
Brazil is not poor.

The richest 1% or 2% of the population lives very well everywhere!

1 - 20 of 179 Posts