SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure how much other cities have heard about the recent controversies at Ohio University, but it's been getting ugly down here. First off, a prominent professor was brutally stabbed to death by his son last week, but that's not what I'm referring too. Our student newspaper, The Post, has gone to hell-in-a-handbasket, and has printed articles opnely advocating the genocide and destruction of Arabs and Muslims.

Ohio University is sometimes falsely labeled as "liberal" and "open-minded", but that mainly applies to Athens city and county, not the school. Really, OU is a party school, period. All most kids are concerned with is drinking, doing drugs, and having sex. They are mostly apathetic and ill-informed upper class suburban kids. Ohio University is one of the only party schools without a big football team, and it parties 24/7 (and trust me, there's no school that throws as many ridiculous block parties as OU- Halloween, Palmerfest, Mill Fest, High Fest, the list goes on). Greek Life is also very small at OU, so the party reputation comes from regular students, not drunken frat boys and sorority girls. I've never been to another place with such an obsession with Tuesday and Wednesday drinking as Athens, Ohio. As they say at OU, "Wednesday is the new Friday." The school is nowhere near as progressive as it used to be, and it has largely moved away from its hippie roots. There certainly are some progressive groups on campus, but it's important to notice the general trend at the school. The school is sinking to new lows.

The highly-regarded and ultra-selective Scripps School of Journalism has admitted some remarkably hateful and ignorant people into its ranks. The student-run newspaper, The OU Post, has printed some atrocious articles by writer Joe Vance, arguably the most racist journalist in Ohio. Students are protesting and boycotting The Post (myself included) and there have been large campus demonstrations calling for the firing of Post staff members. There also have been rumors of death threats. This is what started it all:

America needs to eliminate threats, protect itself, make a choice
Published Thursday, September 13, 2007.
Written by The Voice of Reason, Joe Vance

Against the backdrop of the sixth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker delivered long-awaited congressional testimony this week about progress in Iraq. But whatever military gains might have been made recently, the war remains a charade. The time has come for the United States to abandon Iraq and launch a new offensive that will actually leave America safer and end the senseless martyrdom of our soldiers.

For too long we have reflected on 9/11 as a “tragedy,” as if the 3,000 slaughtered innocents were the victims of a hurricane or earthquake. Not only was the attack an act of cold-blooded murder, it was unequivocally an act of war. Six years later, America is losing the war with militant Islam, but this need not be so. Unfortunately, the sense of rage Americans felt six years ago has been all but extinguished by the twisted policies of the Bush administration and its neoconservative cronies. But we must not let this deter us as we move forward to face an enemy that refuses to relent.

Americans are disillusioned, and rightfully so, but the enemy is as focused as ever. Some would have you believe we are dealing with a handful of extremists who can be hunted down individually. Unfortunately, the threat is far more expansive than that. Many of these same voices argue that Islamic terrorists are international criminals whose atrocities should be dealt with by police, but the notion is foolish. The fact is that several governments in the Middle East actively sponsor terrorism. And despite all the politically correct lip service paid to moderate Islam, a majority of those in the Middle East condone the actions of Islamic terrorists. More frightening even than the images of the World Trade Center collapsing were the subsequent images of public celebration in Pakistan, a supposed ally.

President Bush, shackled as he is by the “love thy enemy” bromides of Christianity, refuses to eliminate the threat. He instead blesses Iraq and Afghanistan with “democracy,” or more accurately elected Islamofascism. While the most recent BBC/ABC News polls show the vast majority of Iraqis support attacks against American forces, a similar majority still wishes us to remain in their country. This is not surprising, considering we removed a secular dictator and replaced him with a theocracy that will give Iraqis what they truly desire: hard-line Sharia law of the type Iran currently imposes. The Iraqis are a primitive people who have no genuine desire for liberty. Accordingly, not a single American life is worth the attempt to civilize them.

Our current approach in the Middle East is akin to America having crushed Germany and Japan in World War II, only to help ensure Nazism and Japanese imperialism remain intact to threaten another day. We leveled their cities and imposed order with an iron fist. We showed regard not to political correctness and world opinion, but to victory and survival. We can afford no less today.

It falls to the electorate to purge Washington of its insiders, Republican and Democrat alike, and end the shadowy foreign policy that has come to epitomize America in the eyes of the world. We can no longer suffer the standard policy of aligning with one enemy to defeat another, a recipe for future conflict. Our enemies have made their intentions clear. Iran, Syria and our “ally” Saudi Arabia all sponsor terrorism and should be issued an ultimatum to either stand down or have their cities carpet bombed. The vile regime of Iran should be dealt with first and made an example of before it pursues its nuclear and imperialist agendas. Pakistan’s secular dictatorship stands imperiled by an Islamist uprising. They already have nuclear arms, which could soon fall into the hands of Islamofascists. Meanwhile, democratic Israel deserves America’s full approval to eliminate the Palestinian terror regime. The war with Islamic jihad has only just begun, but it must be fought for the survival of Western civilization.

But before any of the above objectives can be met, America must seek an endgame in Iraq. The next administration must withdraw our ground forces, as the Democrats have refused to do, and level Baghdad. Whatever government arises thereafter will be too demoralized to threaten America again.

All of humanity’s finest achievements—moral, intellectual, technological and otherwise—are threatened by a bloodlusting barbarism determined to extend its shadow across the globe. The choice of whether to extinguish this threat, or surrender to it, is entirely ours.

http://www.thepost.ohiou.edu/Articles/Opinion/2007/09/13/21140/

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A great follow-up editorial:

Free speech a right; good taste being trampled

Published Tuesday, September 18, 2007.

Letter to the Editor
Not to be outdone by Ashley Herzog’s anti-feminist girl power or Chris Yonker’s knee-slapping racism, Thursday columnist Joe Vance has managed to tunnel beyond rock bottom, dragging The Post’s opinion page down to a new subterranean stratum of hateful and utterly bewildering right-wing idiocy. Vance is not a conservative but a fascist who believes America has the right to subjugate or simply eradicate the world’s “primitive people.” In a stunning example of his superior moral character, Vance advocates accomplishing this noble mission through aerial bombardment.

The most indiscriminant form of warfare short of biological or nuclear attacks, aerial bombardment claims vastly disproportionate civilian casualties. Way to out-do those terrorists, Joe! The 9/11 attacks killed only some 3,000 civilians. Vance’s dream of “level[ing] Baghdad” — a city of seven million men, women and children — would kill exponentially more. What better way to cap off an unwarranted and illegal war — one through which the U.S. has already put Al Qaeda’s civilian-killing credentials to shame many times over, even more impressively than the U.S. managed to do in Afghanistan. Better for these “primitive people” (who, Vance explains, “have no genuine desire for liberty”) to be sacrificed than any more of our valiant Christian soldiers to be “martyred” carrying out their noble crusade on the ground. “Whatever [Iraqi] government arises thereafter,” Vance explains, “will be too demoralized to threaten America again.”

Yes, “again.” You do remember all those WMDs Iraq threatened us with last time? And let’s not forget 9/11.

Afghanistan, Syria and Saudi Arabia are also targets of Vance’s Final Solution — er, I mean “end game.” So too are the stateless Palestinians living under a half century of U.S.-backed Israeli military occupation, colonization, expropriation, displacement and apartheid. Pakistan too, should its friendly “secular dictatorship” fall. For Vance, all of these nations of “primitive” brown-skinned people represent “a bloodthirsty barbarism determined to extend its shadow across the globe.” Thus the U.S. must kill, terrorize, torture and subjugate to protect our most enlightened and libertarian values of freedom and equality — for us and no one else, of course.

Is it possible for a human being to be so oblivious to irony? Or is the real irony that someone as obscenely self-centered as Vance has not spent enough time admiring his own reflection to notice the bloodthirsty barbarism staring back from the mirror? Vance is like Frederick Funston, the imperialist U.S. general who helped conquer the Philippines at the turn of the last century. The great American author and anti-imperialist activist Mark Twain wrote, “No satire of Funston could reach perfection, because Funston occupies that summit himself. In his own person Funston is satire incarnated.” Similarly, Vance’s love affair with “Western Civilization” recalls Gandhi’s quip that the concept might be worth a try.

Vance is as entitled to freedom of speech as any neo-Nazi or Klansman handing out photocopied pamphlets on a street corner. Ohio University’s student newspaper, on the other hand, ought to exercise better editorial judgment.

– Damon Krane is executive coordinator of activist development centerPeople Might and project coordinator for The InterActivist.

http://www.thepost.ohiou.edu/Articles/Opinion/Your Turn/2007/09/18/21222/

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
This is very interesting - please keep posting this. A few weeks ago at BGSU, the former head of the College Republicans posted a piece comparing gays and lesbians to drug addicts, insinuating that they had no rights and should be institutionalized. You also heard about the school vandalism in Sylvania? Swastikas and white power spray painted all over the building on 20 Sept. This is strange to me because I find Ohio to generally be a friendly and welcoming place...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You also heard about the school vandalism in Sylvania? Swastikas and white power spray painted all over the building on 20 Sept..

That is not school-sponsored hate (I'm sure Sylvania Public was in uproar), and can of course happen anywhere. That kind of stuff happens in every small town on occasion. In almost every suburban town, there is a small group of social outcasts who identify with neo-Nazis, particularly during the teenage years (some outgrow it thankfully). That doesn't really surprise me or anything, as it was an act of vandalism- dumb suburban kids who have nothing better to do than break into school and spray paint swastikas. It's sadly pretty common in America, though most Americans find such actions deplorable. Kids like that are generally complete outcasts, not regular writers on newspapers.

A few weeks ago at BGSU, the former head of the College Republicans posted a piece comparing gays and lesbians to drug addicts, insinuating that they had no rights and should be institutionalized.

College Republicans do that everywhere. It's expected behavior (though I'm assuming the Republican kids at BG aren't calling for a "brown-skinned" genocide like some of the ones at OU). What's really bad at OU is that regular writers on the school newspaper are doing this. The school is basically sponsoring the hate at Ohio University, and the original article was calling for a large-scale genocide. The paper is sponsored and funded by the university. I have never seen anything like this, and to see it happen at my own school is what's most frustrating. The paper also prints plenty of woman-hating articles too (ironically, they're written by a girl named Ashley Herzog who idolizes Ann Coulter). The OU Post reaches for the gutter, and the school is just sitting by idly watching a catastrophe unfold. Ohio University is a mess right now, plain and simple. After the murder last week, and now all the protests, this school seems ready to explode. The Homecoming block party could be a riot, literally.

This is strange to me because I find Ohio to generally be a friendly and welcoming place...

It depends where you are at and what level of influence the CCV has (strongest in Cincinnati and the Statehouse). Ohio is a very oppressive state in some ways, particularly when it comes to drug law, adult entertainment, and gambling. There is quite a bit of variety in this state and it's home to some of the most racist, homophobic, sexist, and overly conservative propaganda in America (WLW, Cincinnati Enquirer, OU Post, etc., etc.). In some parts of Ohio, conservative propoganda makes a LOT of money and is the most popular media in its market. I just can't believe a former hippie hub like Athens is moving in that direction too. It sucks to see this in your own town. And to think that Ohio Univeristy's journalism program is the top-ranked in the Midwest makes this even more disturbing. Kids from OU get big jobs with national media.

Thankfully, in Toledo, you'll never see a staff writer at the Blade or Free Press write trash like this. They have some journalists up there who are among the best in America. I've come to greatly respect The Blade, and it's my favorite newspaper in the Midwest.

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
This is very interesting - please keep posting this. A few weeks ago at BGSU, the former head of the College Republicans posted a piece comparing gays and lesbians to drug addicts, insinuating that they had no rights and should be institutionalized. You also heard about the school vandalism in Sylvania? Swastikas and white power spray painted all over the building on 20 Sept. This is strange to me because I find Ohio to generally be a friendly and welcoming place...
Bowling Green is in a part of Ohio where it isn't generally friendly or welcoming due to it being isolated and in the middle of cornfields. Think of it as Terre Haute with a trashy college. You shouldn't be surprised about swastikas in Metro Toledo, as the metro has had a racial problem with riots for a while. There is a reason why Columbus ignores that part of the state.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
^and once again, you don't know what you're talking about. You shouldn't be surprised that CCV has a hold on the Statehouse and Cincinnati's most popular station puts up billboards with cartoonish caricature of Mexicans.

as the metro has had a racial problem with riots for a while

Really? The last race riot was over 30 years ago. Toledo had a riot of people trying to beat up neo-Nazis from Virginia in 2005, but that hardly qualifies as a race riot due to the number of whites, Arabs, and Hispanics present. Of course, you are ignoring that simple fact.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again. Metro Toledo is racist, it has had the most recent riots in the state since Cincinnati in 2001, and is opressive, country, and (as shown by cjfjafan) apparently anti-semetic. No surprise here.

Riots don't mean anything by themselves (other than Toledo can't withould the urge to beat up neo-Nazis). Race riots mean something, and Cincinnati had the most recent ones.

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
Well, I am talking to a person who just wrote this:

Thankfully, in Toledo, you'll never see a staff writer at the Blade or Free Press write trash like this. They have some journalists up there who are among the best in America. I've come to greatly respect The Blade, and it's my favorite newspaper in the Midwest.

Again. Metro Toledo is racist, it has had the most recent riots in the state since Cincinnati in 2001, and is opressive, country, and (as shown by cjfjafan) apparently anti-semetic. No surprise here.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
apparently anti-semetic.

Sylvania has always had problems with that. There is a huge Jewish population there, and some conflict. Nothing out of ordinary America though.

opressive, country

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Where do you live again?

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
^and once again, you don't know what you're talking about. You shouldn't be surprised that CCV has a hold on the Statehouse and Cincinnati's most popular station puts up billboards with cartoonish caricature of Mexicans.

as the metro has had a racial problem with riots for a while

Really? The last race riot was over 30 years ago. Toledo had a riot of people trying to beat up neo-Nazis from Virginia in 2005, but that hardly qualifies as a race riot due to the number of whites, Arabs, and Hispanics present. Of course, you are ignoring that simple fact.
I don't care about Cincinnati, I'm talking about racist Toledo. And we all know in Ohio that Toledo's "riot" was quite heated (shown nationally) and was "whiter" than Cincinnati because Toledo is basically a "white" city.

Arabs hahahahaha.:nuts:

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts

Riots don't mean anything by themselves (other than Toledo can't withould the urge to beat up neo-Nazis). Race riots mean something, and Cincinnati had the most recent ones.
No, I'm pretty sure Toledo has the most recent race riots.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/15/nazi.march/

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
Again folks, Cincinnati we all know has racial issues (as most Midwest cities do). Toledo probably has the worst in the state of Ohio (I mean, Neo-Nazi riots? For Christ sakes) but it isn't heard about because Toledo itself isn't heard about, other than "Holy Toledo" or something. Plus, Toledo is basically a white city and you KNOW it's bad when a WHITE city has a race riot! Atleast Detroit and Cincinnati had an excuse (they have actual blacks).

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what Neo-Nazis ever rioted? Grow up. They ran back to Virginia.

Toledoans rioted against the neo-Nazi's and police who saved their lives. If anything, that shows Toledo's hard-nosed stance and hatred towards neo-Nazis. They neo-Nazi's very well could have been killed had the police not intervened.

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
what Neo-Nazis ever rioted? Grow up. They ran back to Virginia.

Toledoans rioted against the neo-Nazi's and police who saved their lives.
You're not getting the reason WHY Virginian Neo-Nazis went up to Toledo in the first place. They probably felt at home and hell, the police saved their asses, so...

Again, Toledo is probably Ohio's most racist city. I mean, accept it. Toledo has something to brag about finally.

Case in point:
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/NEWS09/70823010/-1/NEWS

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I'm pretty sure Toledo has the most recent race riots.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/15/nazi.march/
Nowhere in that article was it called a race riot, because guess what? It wasn't a race riot.

the police saved their asses

it's their job to prevent murder and assault regardless of who the person is.

Again, Toledo is probably Ohio's most racist city

Yeah, East Toledo, sure. You're making a lot of sense...:cheers:

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
Well, when the term NEO-NAZI is used, it generally is KNOWN that it involves RACE. Much like "The Detroit Pistons" would imply basketball.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, when the term NEO-NAZI is used, it generally is KNOWN that it involves RACE. Much like "The Detroit Pistons" would imply basketball.

A race riot involves rioting by one race against a perceived racist force (generally government).

If Toledo had a race riot, it had a black, white, Hispanic, and Arab race riot. Toledo had a bunch of people who were mad they weren't allowed to beat up some neo-Nazis.

WHY Virginian Neo-Nazis went up to Toledo in the first place

because there wasn't organized Neo-Nazi party in Toledo. That's why they had to bring in people from out-of-state. They do demonstrations like this everwhere, but they never got such a violent response like in Toledo.

·
King of Flyover Country
1,073 Posts
But again, it's alright to be in denial of Toledo's racism. Cincinnatians used to be in denial of the riot but quickly got over that. Granted, Toledo is smaller, less important, and media-wise is on the same tier as Youngstown, but it should get over its racist past soon with new bridges, a new arena, and well, the Erie Street Market.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.