SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I looked at the fantastic index and was surprised to see nothing under G for ghosts or H for hauntings.

I think you will agree with me that we need a dedicated thread for haunted buildings etc that are here in the North East. NH I hope you won't mind me starting this as a separate thread - this deserves its own distinct place, not squashed into Sidebar or elsewhere.

As a former member of BUFORA I am thrilled and steeped into research of unexplained phenomena. The North East has a rich and varied heritage of spooky tales. There are over a thousand places from the Borders to the Tees that have tales of ghosts, hauntings, wraiths, demons etc.

In fact simply mention the name of some of the most prominent locations or buildings in the North East to someone and the likely first thing they will remark upon is the supernatural content. The Cooperage, for example is bogged down with paranormal entitities. Its history is ravaged with tales of ghosts.

I thought we could use this thread for 2 main puposes:

1) To bring across the related ghosts and haunting stories that are currently in many of the other individual threads about particular places, and...

2) To start cataloguing other revelant places that are known to be haunted.

Hope everyone can enjoy the thread and contribute.
There will be some fascinating and eerie tales to tell, rich in myth and fact!

You can always leave the light on tonight when you go to bed!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll get us started:

The Haunted History of The Cooperage
The management and staff working at the pub had told us a few stories that had occurred in the pub : the most notable one occurring not too long ago when a large television had been set up on the top floor for some of the customers to watch football. When the customers arrived they found the TV wasn`t working and when a memeber of staff investigated they noted that all the wires and cables had been pulled from the back of the television. Where the TV had been set up, it would have been impossible for somebody to have leaned around and pulled them all out themselves.

On top off that stories were told of various noises and tappings that couldn`t be explained along with sudden cold-spots. It appeared that most activity seemed to take place on the upper levels.

A child killers murder: We know of one murder that tuck place here in the 1800s, when a man who was a supposed child killer from old Goats head or Gateshead fled into the building while been chased by four men baying for his blood. The man ran up to the middle level to where he tried to hide in the cooper’s workshop. He was found and pounced on by the men, they beat him and kicked him half to death and then pushed him up against the front wall where the windows now overlook the river, they tuck a dagger and cut deep into his neck and held his head up till he was dead, the men then tried to drag the body back down the steps but found this too much, they then propped him up next to where the toilets are now on the middle floor, the room had been bled red with the blood from the man’s sliced jugular. The men decided to hide his body in a barrel and hoist it down from the front of the building to where the men dragged the barrel to the river side and dropped the barrel with body off the side in to the ice cold and dark river of the Tyne.

The building is said to be haunted by many ghosts but he is the one to watch out for, He shows himself as a black mass with what looks like a hood, but it is not it’s a old waxed fishing hat that hangs over the side of his face. He will make you taste the blood he tasted as he died and this is said to be quite an horrific experience for spirit mediums who puck up on this man.
The Cooperage is the only survivor of this timber framed houses and is one of the oldest houses in Newcastle, dating from the 14th century. It stands almost below the piers of the High Level Bridge. The building backs onto a steep slope and when the various owners wanted to extend they had to go ‘up’ instead of ‘out’. A story was added around every century using bricks brought in as ships’ ballast.

The building is rumoured that its wooden frame was recycled from a ship that sank in the Tyne.

It is thought there may have been a Cooper here earlier but John Arthur started up in 1853 and it continued in the same family. They are still in business but not making wooden barrels. Business would have been brisk during the 18th and 19th centuries as barrels were the essential cargo container. Hailed as an ingenious invention they are far more complex than they appear.

Haunting Type: Apparition’s, Ghostly voices, unseen but heard footsteps, smashing glasses, violent attacks, ecto-mist, orbs and funnel vortex. This location was a amazing for the Ouija board and for forms of divination as we had spirits coming from a time when the land was just land and there were no housing. There is an evil spirit by the name of Vincent as he called himself and confessed to been a kid killer and that he had murdered 2 kids in Goteshead, now known as Gateshead and was hung for this his body was displayed where the pub now stands. There are reports of a man in a tall hat standing next to the 2nd floor window smoking a pipe. We also had 2 little girls come throw that just wanted to talk about Christmas and that there dad was killed on the side steps and used one of the girls as a shield against an attack of a cooper that worked there in the location. Energy: cold spots, Hot spots moving around locations

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Swan House/55 Degrees North

I'm a skeptic, but I know a few folk who worked for BT at Swan House who would have nothing to do with the idea of apartments there due to myriad stories of bumps-in-the-night told by late shift workers. Supposedly it's built above the route taken by condemned prisoners to the gallows, once upon a time?

Have any 55 Degrees North residents popped up with similar tales yet?

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Derek Chisorah and the Most Haunted team visited this place. They are fakes but the place is real.

The Haunted History of the North East Air Museum
A man called Shaw, a pilot who was once based at RAF Usworth, is reported to wander around the museum and it`s hangers. His journey eventually leads him into the workshop, where his footsteps can be heard, and into the adjoining canteen where a cupboard containing the smashed up parts of an old engine can be found. Shaw, allegedly, died in action and when people retrieved his corpse from the wreckage of his crashed aeroplane, they found everything was present - except his boots.

Shaw can be spotted around the North East Air Museum - or at least his legs can. There have been numerous reports from witnesses claiming to have seen a pair of black-trouser legs (no boots) walking around the main hanger when people have looked underneath and through the aircraft stored there. It is also said that Shaw calls out for people asking for help - perhaps to help him find his boots? - and also is said to throw things at people to get their attention.

There is also a story of a woman and a man connected to the site from when it was a World War II airfield. Her husband was away fighting for King and country on some campaign during the war and the lady - sadly we have no name for her - was having an affair with another man based at RAF Usworth. She used to meet with him within the main hanger as previously there was a medical center attached to it - perhaps she was a nurse stationed there? Unfortunately, they both died in a car accident and they can be heard talking to each other as well as seen walking together throughout the hangers and are also said to be responsible for flashing lights in the hangers.

Another story told be the staff at the museum regards a spirit they call George. It is said that one hot summer during the war the man whom they call George, was sunbathing on the roof of one of the hangers, fell asleep and then woke with a start, rolled and fell to his death.

Finally, there is the story of Frank. There are 3 Franks associated with the site but the Frank we are interested in had an injured leg and used to get around with the use of a walking stick. There have been many reports of the click-click-click as Frank still walks around the hangers using his stick for support, today.

·
13,699 Posts
Derek Chisorah and the Most Haunted team visited this place. They are fakes but the place is real..
It s actually Derek Acorah - I know a little about the old fraud because he was exposed at a venue owned by a friend of mine. They did an event at Bodmin Jail.

Essentially they were supposed to have no knowledge of the venue. One member of the team invented a character - as it happens a South African Jailer called Kreed Kafer - an anagram of Derek Faker. It was mentioned to one of the crew and... amazingly DA started talking with ... Kreed Kafer.

I am sceptical about ghosts - but mediums - dishonest or deranged. If they do talk to the departed then an interesting test would be a blindfold trip to [say] Ypres or Auschwitz. There would be so many spirits they'd be curled up in a ball in seconds...

The Lit and Phil is alleged to be haunted. If often go to do some work from there so they might just have seen me on a bad day:

http://www.ghostnortheast.co.uk/LnP.html

http://www.otherworldnortheast.org.uk/fieldwork-research/ongoing-projects/the-haunting-of-the-lit-and-phil/

Try also the follwing list:

Jack the Beadle

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: Jack was a well liked member of the community before being caught and tried for removing and selling lead from coffins. A local legend now places Jack's ghost in the churchyard.

Martha Wilson

Further Comments: The phantom woman haunting the area has been named as Martha Wilson, a suicide who was buried at a nearby crossroads. One man who encountered Martha said she wore a veil - she lifted it up as he approached, in time for him to realise she had no face.

Furniture Mover

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Board Room public house, Stevenson Road
Type: Poltergeist
Date / Time: 1980s
Further Comments: Landlord Richard Bell reported shattering glasses, moving pictures and upset furniture at his pub.

Joseph the Monk

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Former La Dolce Vita nightclub (now closed)
Date / Time: Late twentieth century
Further Comments: A lover of dance when he lived, Joseph's shade would appear to have been kick-started when a nightclub opened near his grave. The tall monk dressed in his robes was seen dancing in the club several times by both staff and customers.

Mummy

Further Comments: It is reported that this Egyptian mummy's ghost is still active, and now walks around the museum at night.

Black Shadow

Date / Time: May 2006
Further Comments: A four foot tall black mass was photographed here during a ghost hunt, seemingly coming out of a wall.

Small Child

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Newcastle Keep, the Black Gate
Date / Time: 2006 onwards
Further Comments: A small child is reputed to haunt this area, and Steve Taylor, the local ghost walk organiser, reports a number of strange occurrences, including stone throwing, growling sounds and strange black shapes. People on the site have experienced being bitten or scratched by unseen perpetrators.

Jane Jameson

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Quayside, area around John Wesley's memorial
Further Comments: Jane was executed in 1829 for the murder of her mother, although she did try to frame her boyfriend for the crime. Jane now calls out for her lover to find her.

Edwardian Man

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Robinson's Wine Bar, Cloth Market
Date / Time: Mid twentieth century
Further Comments: This ghostly figure was seen leaning against a wall within the bar. A manager who witnessed the entity described it as a tall man with grey hair, wearing Edwardian clothing.

Cavalier

Further Comments: This soldier died fighting against the Scots in 1644. His phantom reportedly gazes from the tower window. One witness watched him float from the ground into the air, disappearing into the ceiling - she was later told that a spiral staircase stood where she had seen the apparition.

Girl in Blue Dress

Type: Crisis Manifestation
Date / Time: Nineteenth century
Further Comments: A young curate who fell in love with the daughter of a local landowner was now about to set off to see the lass at home when he spotted her walking around the churchyard. The man ran into the churchyard, but she had vanished. The following day he discovered that she had died at home during the night. Though it is said she still walks the area, none have seen her recently.

Knight

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - St Nicholas Church (now Newcastle Cathedral)
Date / Time: Pre 1882
Further Comments: Before this church became Newcastle Cathedral, there were reports of a tall shadowy knight who would walk around day and night, vanishing around corners and pillars. The clank of ghostly armour was also heard.

Crying Child

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Stevenson Street, North Shields
Date / Time: Pre nineteenth century
Further Comments: A house along this road was haunted by the cries of a child, and the heart wrenching sobs of a woman - an infant's body was later discovered concealed within the building.

Henry Hardwick

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - The Cooperage public house, alleyways near the building
Further Comments: Trying to escape pressgangers, Hardwick was murdered, and has been seen near to where he died. A man dressed in Edwardian garb has also been seen in the area.

Bob Crowther

Date / Time: Twentieth century
Further Comments: The ghost that has been felt as it pushes past people is thought to be an actor who was killed when a stage prop travelling at high velocity landed on him. He also reportedly has a favourite seat, in which he is occasionally seen.

Prior Olaf

Further Comments: This Viking raider who eventually found God has been seen on the site where so much raping and looting took place. Other phantom monks have been observed on site, several appearing to pray at a stone in the graveyard.

Longhaired Man

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne - Unnamed public house along Westgate Road
Date / Time: 1974
Further Comments: This ghostly figure wearing a red coat walked through a barman who was closing the bar.

Heavy Footsteps

Type: Poltergeist
Date / Time: 1835 - 1847
Further Comments: Just a small part of the phenomena, the footsteps were heard first. Over a period of weeks, these developed into bangs, whistling, the sounds of machinery, and finally a voice that spoke. Phantom animals were seen around the building. The family finally moved out, though the spirit stayed a little longer (but was much quieter).

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/newcastle.php

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm sure Claremont Tower, Claremont Bridge and the Daysh buildings at Newcastle University could be haunted. One night a couple of years ago I was in the Mill Computing cluster on the 6th floor of Claremont Bridge. Twice I herd footsteps in the room (despite being in there on my own) and when I looked up I saw a person dressed in white looking at me as they walked towards the exit to Claremont Tower. They disappeared as they walked behind a pillar.

·
13,699 Posts
Funny enough charlatans like Acorah are committing an offence under the Fraudulent Mediums Act, 1951

The act gives 'express provision for the punishment of persons who fraudulently purport to act as spiritualistic mediums or to exercise powers of telepathy, clairvoyance or other similar powers'

1.-(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, any person who-

(a) with intent to deceive purports to act as a spiritualistic medium or to exercise any powers of telepathy, clairvoyance or other similar powers, or

(b) in purporting to act as a spiritualistic medium or to exercise such powers as aforesaid, uses any fraudulent device,

shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person shall not be convicted of an offence under the foregoing subsection unless it is proved that he acted for reward; and for the purposes of this section a person shall be deemed to act for reward if any money is paid, or other valuable thing given, in respect of what he does, whether to him or to any other person.
Doris Stokes the criminal :)

·
Super Moderator
22,724 Posts
Hello everyone.

I looked at the fantastic index and was surprised to see nothing under G for ghosts or H for hauntings.

I think you will agree with me that we need a dedicated thread for haunted buildings etc that are here in the North East. NH I hope you won't mind me starting this as a separate thread - this deserves its own distinct place.

What a great idea for a thread.

I know what you mean, you would think it had been discussed before on here . . . but NO!

As this is going to be 'Post 8' - it looks like it is a successful thread already!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the support NH and NP.

Even if this thread gets no more posts at le\zst we have a proper place for the INDEX to point to for such matters.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The old Tyne Tees Television building had a ghost. He was called Peter.

The buildings that formed the studios had been over the years, warehouses of various descriptions. I think one was used as a meat store or butchers premesis at one time.

The story goes, that Peter hanged himself from a meat hook and that his spirit remained in the building that became Tyne Tees.

Apparently he would appear hanging I think in the scene dock area which when it was a warehosue was the back of the building - a series of arches.

This led to a story I heard - told to me by a security guard there years ago - about how a wind-up went too far one night. They had a new starter on security who had been told about Peter. Now being a TV studio, there was a good supply of props, lighting etc. Apparently for a laugh some of the guys put a dummy hanging from a noose in the scene dock - (It was a tall corridor which ran from a storage area in the yard - next to the blue and whilte building that is till there, right along past studio 2, 3 and 1 - eventually to St5) The scene dock was darkened as it was night and the dummy was appropriately lit. The new guard went on his rounds, saw the "ghost" crapped himself, ran away and never came back.

Parts of the building did have a feeling about them. Not a bad feeling, if anything positive and happy. Bit of a sceptic about stuff like this, but I do think places have good and bad feelings. TTTV and Peter or whoever he was, felt really friendly.

·
Super Moderator
22,724 Posts
The old Tyne Tees Television building had a ghost. He was called Peter.

The buildings that formed the studios had been over the years, warehouses of various descriptions. I think one was used as a meat store or butchers premesis at one time.

The story goes, that Peter hanged himself from a meat hook and that his spirit remained in the building that became Tyne Tees.

Apparently he would appear hanging I think in the scene dock area which when it was a warehouse was the back of the building - a series of arches.

This led to a story I heard - told to me by a security guard there years ago - about how a wind-up went too far one night. They had a new starter on security who had been told about Peter. Now being a TV studio, there was a good supply of props, lighting etc. Apparently for a laugh some of the guys put a dummy hanging from a noose in the scene dock - (It was a tall corridor which ran from a storage area in the yard - next to the blue and whilte building that is till there, right along past studio 2, 3 and 1 - eventually to St5) The scene dock was darkened as it was night and the dummy was appropriately lit. The new guard went on his rounds, saw the "ghost" crapped himself, ran away and never came back.

Parts of the building did have a feeling about them. Not a bad feeling, if anything positive and happy. Bit of a sceptic about stuff like this, but I do think places have good and bad feelings. TTTV and Peter or whoever he was, felt really friendly.

The "Scene Dock" area, as shown here, in a post from the "Historic Newcastle" thread . . .

Newcastle Historian; March 1st 2010 said:
Tyne Tees TV, New City Road Studios (circa 1959)

·
Registered
573 Posts
That schematic isn't totaly accurate. I have that book. Mind you, the image dates from when the station started so things changed I guess. Te boardroom was in the Admin building - the building with mast on it for example.

The Scene Dock is the corridor below St 2 and above Master Control and ST3.

Assuming the building was positioned North South - City Rd being South, the scene dock ran East West. There were roller doors into a yard from city Road. This was on a hill - as the whole site is - at the top on the right were doors into the scnee dock. There were double doors from that into Studio 2, so you could actually drive cars in there for shows. I remember seeing a new Sierra in there when I was a kid!

The scene dock narrowed and went past what you see on the schematic ast Studio 3 up to Studio 1 where it made a 90 degree left turn, then into a bigger scene dock with a lift to ground level - you were actually 5 feet or so below Howard Street at the back. The lift was I guess put in for Sduio 5 which adjoined the scene dock. It was a platform lift for moving gear into the dock. Peter - or so I was old - used to hang out (ahem) round where that 90 degree bend was.

He must be pretty Pee'd off now his home has been demolished.

I don't know how to post images, but you can sort of see the lay out on Google Earth.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It does. Thank you.

The Scene dock went from where the Air Con units are in a row top right. That's above the St5 scene dock and where the lift was. Studio 5 is the big block on the right. The darker strip of roof is basically is footprint of the dock there. Below that, the bigger and different coloured roof is Studio 1 Follow the darker strip left and where it goes light grey, that is the roof of Studio 2.

The raised light grey east-west roof that forms a "T" with the north-south facing block is the scene dock....that is to say it is on the ground floor, there were the control rooms for Studio 1 and 2 above along with a place called CTF which is where the station transmitted from and where Bill Steel used to read the birthdays!

There are four light and dark grey pitched rooves on the left of the bulding bordering the yard. That's where the dock widened out and there was access to the yard, and big doors into St 2.

That was Peter's haunt.

·
Super Moderator
22,724 Posts
Below, are two books on the subject of "Ghosts and Haunting" in Newcastle.

They will, eventually, be covered by me on the BOOKS Thread, unless someone else would like to review them on there sooner . . .

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
Anyone know if Harry Houdini ever performed in Newcastle? If anyone doesn't know, Houdini spent much of the last few years of his life attempting to uncover fraudulent spirit mediums. Fascinating story, desrcibed in this book by Kalush and Sloman:

·
13,699 Posts
^^^^
Quite right too :), though I'd just like to see a revival of prosecutions under the Fraudulent Mediums Act, 1951 per previous postings.

The book; Houdin,The British Tours might help.

There's a preview which lists a lot of the venues, though Newcastle isn t amongst them. However given some of the god-awful places he appeared, including Stockton [Feb 20th - 25th 1905] it's amazing if he didn't appear here. Save for the obvious - London, and appearances in Bristol and Glasgow there's a preponderance of appearances along the M62 corridor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Houdini-The-British-Tours-ebook/dp/B005P7V9S0

·
Registered
36 Posts
My mum used to be the stewardess of the rafa club on bewick road in gateshead. There used to be a lot of strange bumps and noises. Pumps used to start up on their own and footsteps walking down the stairs were heard on a regular basis when no-one else was in the building..

My uncle was also the manager of "ye olde crosse" in Alnwick aka the dirty bottles.
Legend has it that a landlord was putting up a window display one night and died, of a heartattack. Anyone who removed the bottles would also suffer the same fate.
My uncle told us stories of chairs that were stacked on tables at closing would be scattered around the next morning and chairs tables that were unstacked would be arrange in a tall pile the next day.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts