SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted these elsewhere, but seeing today's banner prompted me to post them here.

Photos from Havana last June. A small selection of many hundreds I took in Havana and across Cuba, I'll post more if I can be arsed.

It was a bit damp and gloomy because Tropical Storm Arlene was passing by at the time, but its was still beautiful :)

Enjoy!

Ask me nicely I'll post some more :)

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I think Havana is one of the most beautiful cities in the Americas in terms of classical architecture. Although some parts of the city are in desperate need of restoration. Anyways, great photos.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The US is the only country that has an embargo against Cuba. So Cuba can trade, entertain tourists, etc, etc, just like other countries that are either islands in the Caribbean or have coastlines in the Caribbean. I'm talking about places like Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and many smaller islands. Therefore I must ask why is it that Cuba is the only one of these countries that looks like time has stood still since 1959, when Castro took power?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I forgot about that expression; "I can't be arsed", for the longest time I thought people were saying "I can't be asked", which is the most self-realized, pompous thing you could say. I liked it better that way. Some may want me to explain this post further but I can't be asked. Sublime.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
Therefore I must ask why is it that Cuba is the only one of these countries that looks like time has stood still since 1959, when Castro took power?
You have a problem with old architecture? :crazy:

Look closer... see how well restored and maintained it mostly is in downtown Havana. There are some magnificent old buildings there... What do you want? Wholesale destruction and replacement with shopping malls and skyscrapers?

Sure there's a fair few old US cars and Ladas knocking around, but the people aren't cash-rich. Get into rural Domincan Republic and I see no significant difference to rural Cuba, and the people fare a damned sight better than Haitians.

·
I'm Watching You
12,366 Posts
Photos from Latinscrapers

La Habana, Cuba

English: Havana's Capitol Building is a magnificent structure. Its majestic salons and architectural richness and the beauty of its works of art, created by the greatest masters of painting and sculpture of their time reaffirms this.

The Pesos Perdidos Salon, one of the most beautiful areas in the Capitol Building, is especially impressive. Designed for the holding of large receptions, it is furnished only with marble benches and 32 chandeliers in the purest Renaissance Italian style.

The colossal Statue of the Republic, one of the tallest indoor statues in the world, stands a few meters from the entrance. A replica of the diamond which marked the starting point from which highway distances from Havana are measured is embedded in the floor in the center of the solon's rotunda

Español: La ejecución definitiva de este edificio fue en marzo de 1926, cuando arrancó de una vez la construcción del Capitolio de La Habana pese a que, años antes, se habían echado sus cimientos. Su costo total se acercó a los 17 millones de dólares. 25,000 metros cúbicos de piedra de capellanía fueron utilizados en el Capitolio habanero. Fue necesaria una superficie de 388,700 metros cuadrados, para levantar en 3 años el impresionante inmueble. La cúpula del Capitolio de La Habana, 5º en el mundo de estilo renacentista. La cúpula es el segundo punto más alto de la ciudad, precedido por el Monumento a Martí en la Plaza de la Revolución. El pórtico central, soportado por 17 columnas jónicas de granito.

Español: La estatua de la República de Cuba, inspirada en la modelo habanera Lily Válty, surgió de las manos del escultor italiano Angelo Zanelli, quien también la utilizó para esculpir las metópas del pórtico central. La majestuosa escultura de bronce laminado en oro de 22 kilates, mide alrededor de 17 metros, incluyendo su base de mármol ónix antiguo egipcio. Solamente el Buda de Oro de Nava, en Japón, y el Lincoln Memorial, en Washington, superan la altura de esta colosal estatua, que ocupa el 3º lugar en el mundo de las más altas bajo techo, y fue instalada en 1929.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Tubeman, thanks for the pics. i have to ask you, after experiencing first hand Cuba and all the shortcomings we read about under the communist government of Castro, would say you have come back more or less favourably impressed by the country?

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
luv2bebrown said:
Tubeman, thanks for the pics. i have to ask you, after experiencing first hand Cuba and all the shortcomings we read about under the communist government of Castro, would say you have come back more or less favourably impressed by the country?
More. I was very impressed with the availability of good-quality healthcare and education. This is an undeniable by-product of the regime. People certainly didn't appear afraid to discuss political issues, and it felt much less policed and opressive than many other places I've been to.

Everyone's poor by our standards, of course, and consumer goods are in very short supply and expensive. I suppose really you can see the good and the bad of a Communist regime... It does leave you unsure as to whether the average Cuban would be better off 10 years after Castro dies or actually worse off if the education and healthcare systems collapse.

It was certainly fascinating. I loved the way that Cubans were united regardless of race, and the culture and history are very rich.

I'll post some more pics when my hangover wears off.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way those Capitol building interior pics are AMAZING!

We couldn't go inside unfortunately :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wooow, I'm actually really impressed by these pictures! I always knew Cuba was nice, but I never expected it to be this beautiful! It seems like a perfect destination to see, and I can't wait to actually get to see Cuba one day!

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More...

Lots of cars, Place De La Revolucion and a 'Camel' Bus which carries (I think) 250 passengers!

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yet more... Club Tropicana

The world-famous Club Tropicana... Its a Cuban cabaret... About 2 hours with a variety of dance and song from Operatic songs to African-influenced tribal dancing. A great showcase of Cuban culture... and some amazing costumes!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Tubeman, I will admit this much. Those in pre-Castro Cuba that owned the majority of the countries riches were mostly of Spanish descent, while the underclass was mostly of African descent. Those who went to Miami were mainly very light skinned, while those who remained tended to be darker skinned. However, here's the twist. Most of the elites in the ruling Communist Party are also mainly of Spanish origin and also tend to be very light skinned. Castro's family all comes from the area of Spain that is just north of Portugal on the Iberian Peninsula.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
Tubeman, I will admit this much. Those in pre-Castro Cuba that owned the majority of the countries riches were mostly of Spanish descent, while the underclass was mostly of African descent. Those who went to Miami were mainly very light skinned, while those who remained tended to be darker skinned. However, here's the twist. Most of the elites in the ruling Communist Party are also mainly of Spanish origin and also tend to be very light skinned. Castro's family all comes from the area of Spain that is just north of Portugal on the Iberian Peninsula.
Yes, like any Caribbean country with a slaving history White equalled powerful / wealthy and black equalled powerless / poor for many centuries. However when Castro took over a lot of the White Middle Classes fled to the US and there has since been a concerted effort by Castro's regime to reinforce the ideal of 'Cubanness' regardless of racial origin. I think this is reflected by the extremely high rates of intermarriage and very high proportion of Mixed race people. The state went out of its way to address centuries of inequality and prejudice. It probably helps also that everyone is poor (essentially) so there is no wealthy elite or class structure.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Thanks for those pictures, the problem with the cuban photo threads is that they always turn political, while it is not the case for other "worse" countries, and this is far from being limited to this forum only unfortunatly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts