Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this week we're seeing record fuel prices. Have we hit peak oil? Discuss

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's inevitable that peak oil will hit within 5-10 years making massive investment in road infrastructure irrelevent in 40 years time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Biodiesel.

80% lower emissions than standard diesel.

It's basically Canola Oil.

Diesel engines require few modifications to take it.

And the exhaust smells like Pop corn.

Try and fault it! Even Adelaide buses are running on part biodiesel mixtures, don't tell me we're leading in something (besides football)?

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
biodiesel does not solve the problem. It would take too much agriculatural land to 'grow' fuel that should be used growing food.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
ABS said:
biodiesel does not solve the problem. It would take too much agriculatural land to 'grow' fuel that should be used growing food.
Think about it. Ya can probably cook fish and chips inside the engine. It pays off.

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matixvolta said:
Think about it. Ya can probably cook fish and chips inside the engine. It pays off.
Not at the scale that is needed.

·
PTnut
588 Posts
BTW, fish and chip shops don't use canola oil. It's too unproductive - the favour it brings and cookability (not well versed in the lingo here) deteriorates by the 4th packet of '$2 worth of chips'. Fish and chip shops use LARD. Lasts longer and gives deep fried food a better flavour.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
lol.

What about the electric cars that use no fossil fuels at all.
someone else has to have seen Honda's ads for all its prototypes..

Trying to generate interest/public knowledge with theyre campaigns?

Im going to get one when
A) Theyre available
and B) I have the money

·
Watch my Chops
6,035 Posts
Hydrogen Fuel?
HICE (Hydrogen Internal Cumbustion engine) FORD ONLY
Fuel Cell ( Fuel Cell And Iron lithium Batterys)
Biodiesel with hydrogen and Ethenol.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Malt said:
What about the electric cars that use no fossil fuels at all.
The electricity comes from somewhere. In the case of Australia, it comes rom burning coal. I've seen that there's some coal power plants in Australia that pump out more CO2 in a day than melbourne's cars do in an entire year.

Hydrogen has the same problem. You get the hydrogen by splitting water - with electricity. Where do you get the power from to do that? And if you find green power to do it with, what's the point wasting it on splitting water when you can just run cars directly on electricity?

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
Now, if we had hydrogen powered cars that ran on electrolysis of water by solar cells, then I think we make have our answer. I do not think we have enough time, though :(

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
yob, I know that.

But youve got to start somewhere.

Electric Powered Cars...
Then start the slow process of replacing coal powerplants with solar, or whatever. Wind, water... Hydro...

·
6,556 Posts
jacobsian said:
Hydrogen has the same problem. You get the hydrogen by splitting water - with electricity. Where do you get the power from to do that? And if you find green power to do it with, what's the point wasting it on splitting water when you can just run cars directly on electricity?
Or, more commonly, you can refine Hydrogen from... oil!

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hydro electricity isn't particularly green. Building the dams required does more damage than coal power plants.

·
Unacquainted Acquaintance
1,591 Posts
ABS said:
Well this week we're seeing record fuel prices. Have we hit peak oil? Discuss
Not yet. But we're (obviously) getting closer with each passing day. When Peak Oil REALLY hits, we'll be seeing far higher prices in excess of $2 a litre. but these are just the first strains. I too was surprised the other day when I saw 119c/litre in Sydney. I'm glad I'll never have to worry about driving.

It's impossible to switch to clean fuels/electricity totally overnight - that's why the US is SCREWED! It's gonna take at least a whole decade for the human psyche to wean off the oil "drug".

The best way to get out of this mess is to simultaneously promote and subsidise clean fuels while improving and expanding the reach of Mass Transit networks. Promote clean fuels for areas where it's not feasible to expand Mass Transit capability (ie mountainous areas), and progressively electrify the Australian Rail Network, working on the main corridors first - SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE, then connecting the rest of the network up. Finish the Standard Gauge Network (a mistake that needs to be corrected.

The high costs of fossil fuels will eventually kill the airline industry. Research needs to be put into a non-oil solution for high-speed overseas travel. Abolish air transport in land-connected areas, and connect with high-speed rails/maglev.

It's good that many of the emerging Asian nations are now looking at PT networks (China's looking at a high speed rail/maglev network, thank goodness).

1 - 20 of 86 Posts