SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The 2014 Human Development Report - Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience provides a fresh perspective on vulnerability and proposes ways to strengthen resilience.

According to income-based measures of poverty, 1.2 billion people live with $1.25 or less a day. However, according to the UNDP Multidimensional Poverty Index, almost 1.5 billion people in 91 developing countries are living in poverty with overlapping deprivations in health, education and living standards. And although poverty is declining overall, almost 800 million people are at risk of falling back into poverty if setbacks occur. Many people face either structural or life-cycle vulnerabilities.

http://hdr.undp.org/en
Better look at below link for a more detailed and larger font report:
http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/hdr14-report-en-1.pdf

Wiki country rankings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will the UN's 2008-2009 report be release ijn this month? I'm very interested to see the latest one since ADP revised some developing countries' PPP GDP (including China).

·
Registered
240 Posts
27Qinghai0.6840.7510.6720.702
28Gansu0.7080.7310.6230.687
29Yunnan0.6750.7560.6270.686
30Guizhou0.6830.740.5540.659
31Tibet 0.6560.5540.6520.621

The last column is the most important number. The HDI. For comparison Botswana has an HDI of .65 and India is .62. China is making amazing progress but the last figures should be pondered. Not enough investment in the southwest. Cancel the maglev train and build some roads in Yunnan.

·
pooh bear
6,867 Posts
Botswana's actually quite rich, it has a GDP per capita of around $17,000. I think Yunnan is getting plenty of investment with roads, spending excess money on it will produce diminishing returns and will not increase HDI much faster. There's only 4 regions under .7, it is a great achievement; let's hope in a decade that there will be none.

·
Registered
240 Posts
"I think Yunnan is getting plenty of investment with roads, spending excess money on it will produce diminishing returns" You can say that about a lot of places in China but not Yunnan.

It takes like 9 hours to go from Lijiang to Kunming by bus but 30 mins by plane. That's ridiculous. I can't imagine how excessive spending will have to be for it to become excessive.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
9 hours by bus is not bad. A plane I took from Shenzhen to Xiamen also takes 30 mins, the bus ride on the return trip was 8 hrs. Yunnan's terrain is also more mountainous so relatively the expressway system would be good there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We should keep in mind that the figures given in the report are inaccurate, as the data used in the reports were not adjusted for PPP. The actual GDP indices (and therefore the HDI values) are lower than those stated in the report (mainland China's actual HDI in 2006 was 0.762 and not 0.781 as stated).
... let's hope in a decade that there will be none.
However, I don't disagree with this comment.

·
pooh bear
6,867 Posts
"I think Yunnan is getting plenty of investment with roads, spending excess money on it will produce diminishing returns" You can say that about a lot of places in China but not Yunnan.

It takes like 9 hours to go from Lijiang to Kunming by bus but 30 mins by plane. That's ridiculous. I can't imagine how excessive spending will have to be for it to become excessive.
My 2006 china road atlas clearly shows an expressway between Kunming and Dali and a semi-expressway (快速公路) between Dali and Lijiang. Right now that is an almost luxurious amount of access for a sparsely populated area with less than 1.5 million people. For people who are really in a rush, there's already the 30 min plane and for people who just need to travel to/from there at any speed, there's the bus. I heard that they're building a train to Zhongdian (Shangri-La), maybe this will have an upgrade of the track to Lijiang.

·
Registered
240 Posts
"For people who are really in a rush, there's already the 30 min plane and for people who just need to travel to/from there at any speed, there's the bus."

It's the horse that pulls the carriage.

If they had better roads they would have a more productive economy and more people who are in a rush.

I find such a line of reasoning peculiar. Do you feel that the master planners of the infrastructure and the economy can make no mistakes? Everything they are doing must be correct!

·
Registered
336 Posts
^^ They used PPP values, post-revised actually :)
The UN Human Development Report for 2008, which was released after this China-specific report, stated the lower HDI.

In fact, take a look at one of the footnotes in the China report on page 11:
The US $1 per day poverty line uses purchasing power parity (PPP)-based exchange rates, not nominal market exchange rates. In November 2007, the World Bank’s International Comparisons Project released a revised PPP-based exchange rate, which gives lower US dollar estimates of Chinese income data, and therefore leads to higher US $1 per day poverty incidence. As the exact impact on poverty calculations of the new PPP numbers is not yet clear, this report uses the earlier numbers.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
"For people who are really in a rush, there's already the 30 min plane and for people who just need to travel to/from there at any speed, there's the bus."

It's the horse that pulls the carriage.

If they had better roads they would have a more productive economy and more people who are in a rush.

I find such a line of reasoning peculiar. Do you feel that the master planners of the infrastructure and the economy can make no mistakes? Everything they are doing must be correct!
Japan has plenty of massive roads and bridges leading to nowhere in small rural communities. Just because you build it, doesn't mean they will come.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Japan has plenty of massive roads and bridges leading to nowhere in small rural communities. Just because you build it, doesn't mean they will come.
Japan built a $300 million dollar airport in a community so small that it would only receive 2 flights a day.

I'm talking about modern roads spanning a province.

Do you not see the difference in potential utility?

I guess not because the master plan is flawless. No infrastructure need is being ignored, underinvested, etc. in China. Things are immaculate!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Japan built a $300 million dollar airport in a community so small that it would only receive 2 flights a day.

I'm talking about modern roads spanning a province.

Do you not see the difference in potential utility?

I guess not because the master plan is flawless. No infrastructure need is being ignored, underinvested, etc. in China. Things are immaculate!
I'm not attacking you personally, you don't have to be sarcastic. You can offer more specifics to your posts so that people don't misunderstand you.

You have only specifically mentioned a link to Lijiang in your posts. Other than that all you have said is "build more roads," which is vague to say the least.

·
Banned
12 Posts
HDI of Chinese provinces compared

Similar to the population thread.

Many area in China is still under developed compared to some other area. Each province in China is so big, it is the size of a large country compared to countries in Europe and Asia!

Alot of people may think Hong Kong is the only high standard living city but this list show that even Shanghai and Macau is higher than developed countries like South Korea!

Shanghai has almost 19 million people. bigger than Chile, Netherlands, Greece, Cuba!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_administrative_divisions_by_HDI

↓ HDI (2003) ↓ Life expectancy ↓ Adult literacy rate ↓ Gross enrollment index ↓ GDP per capita (PPP) ↓
Value Rank Years % % US$
High human development
Japan 0.943 82.0 (99.0) 84 27,967
Hong Kong 0.916 81.6 93.5 74 27,179
Republic of China (Taiwan) 0.916 76.1 97.0 97 23,911
Shanghai 0.913 1 79.05 94.12 84.0 24,580
Macau 0.909
Singapore 0.907 78.7 92.5 87 24,481
South Korea 0.901 77.0 97.9 93 17,971
Beijing 0.882 2 76.85 95.39 87.1 16,868
Brunei Darussalam 0.866 76.4 92.7 74 19,210
Tianjin 0.855 3 75.96 93.64 79.8 13,959