Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wheels...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the amount of sick, phlegm and trash on the streets in the city centre lately?

It is truly vile... I noticed taxi drivers empty their coffee cups and trash where they loiter, and I think the gobbing on the street seems to be from a certain section of the community. I find it really saddening and creates such a bad impression. Is there any law against this?

I also notice the German market is creating large amounts of very drunk and wild people during the evenings, since when did the German market main focus be getting pissed out of your head - thousands of drunk people then swarm out to surrounding bars at 9pm to continue their binge!?

The volume of people up New Street is now a disaster waiting to happen, it's been getting worse each year and I now find it a massive pain in the ass, it seems more like a "cheapo fair ground" load of stalls in part now and has completely out grown the space it was initially allowed to occupy.

If there was any reason for people to vacate quickly it would become a horrendous stampede. People have been getting so worked up with push chairs and kids amid the shoppers and people just trying to navigate the city centre. Last week I was trapped trying to cross New Street, I was stuck in the centre and people were getting vexed just because I was trying to cross to Jones' shoe shop, there have been several occasions where people have come to a stand still because of the ridiculously large cabins that take up a vast area which is intended for volume of footfall navigating up and down New Street.

I love the idea and I think it was initially a great market but biggest in this instance really isn't best... I think it should be moved to East Side or massively scaled down with a ban on drinking, or at least a ban on the beer. You also see people carrying around large beer glasses amongst the crowds... we just don't have that culture of respect in Britain to allow people to play nice in my opinion.

·
Wheels...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd like to add that I've seen two recent occasions where business men who are drunk out of their mind early evening, have started trouble in bars surrounding new street which usually are quite respectable places... this then creates a problem for people outside of the market, bars which usually do not need security.

·
Wheels...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently walked down Newhall Street with a friend and found a large man spread eagle on his back on the steps by the NatWest tower... in full suit attire.

We stopped about 50 metres down the road and looked back with concern as he looked unconscious with his head back. There was a line of taxis next to him waiting for people from Must over the road. No one gave a shit, we then watched in horror as a passer by walked up, tapped him, no response, and he then went through his jacket pockets and robbed him, we ran up shouting and the guy ran off. We then woke the drunk guy and tried to get him into a taxi, the driver was not keen to take him but there were no police around so rather than leave this guy to be done over again we insisted he take him back, or to the police station.

I never thought I'd see the day that people stand by and watch this to happen, but when you consider the amount of taxi drivers in the city who are either unlicensed or are done for not having insurance it is no surprise.

·
Wheels...
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry to continue but even on the steps of my own place I found a guy jacking up recently, and another guy asking me if I wanted to buy some Heroin, loads of tramps are coming back into the city too. It's not good, I had a big grizzly guy threaten me for not giving him change by the Alex Theatre, and another guy walked into Bachus and tried selling the big issue to me and a friend, only he didn't have any (the bar manager had to chase him off), not to9 mention walking into The Old Contemptibles last Sunday to find an empty bar but for the huge smelly tramp stood in there, the stench had to be experienced to be believed and we had to go elsewhere for breakfast. There are also people sleeping rough behind Weather Spoons in Paradise Forum. What must people think who visit the city? Shit Hole perhaps? I know I would if I didn't know some of the better places. These issues really need to be stamped out before they start to get a hold of the city...

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I did notice last year that there was a distinct lack of policing around the markets. I've never seen anyone mindlessly drunk there although I have seen the odd tipsy fella standing up from one of the benches and realising he's had one too many.

I think because it's such a warm-hearted atmosphere, you just don't expect stuff to happen at the markets. It's worth raising the issue with the council at least, as it is effectively the city's jewel in the crown of Christmas events. They wouldn't want to see it tarnished or have places lose their licenses.

As for the other stuff away from the market, it's not really isolated to Birmingham at all. There have been people sleeping rough behind Paradise Circus for some time, now. Really not sure why nothing hasn't been done about it. The staff at the Old Contemptibles have the right to kick anyone out who is being a nuisance or being bad for trade.

These issues have been around for years and will continue to be around for years. They'll just move from one area to the next as the police clamp down in one area.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
I've been to the market three times so fat this year, all to meet people at the singing moose. There are soo many drunks I hate it. It's either 14-16 year olds, some with alcohol from the stalls or some that bring their own, or those from people who work in areas such as Colmore Row area where the only reason for them to being there is to get pissed after work. The family atmosphere has gone.

The bars and half the hot food stores need to move to Centenary Square IMHO. Nothing wrong in having the market split over different squares, it works in Manchester.

I've given up bothering to go to the Xmas market for the market itself. Can't move, and same old products on sale as the last 3-4 years. It's poorly laid out, too many drunks and yo can't physically move.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hear what your saying Elizabeth! Especially about the gobbing on the street I know exactly what your saying about that. Reason I rarely shop in Birmingham City centre nowadays seeing these sort of characters swaggering around just depresses me! I stick to Touchwood or out of town retail parks. I even prefer Merry Hill to shopping in Brum nowadays and I live a lot closer to Brum City than Brierley Hill!!!

·
Banned
3,829 Posts
and I think the gobbing on the street seems to be from a certain section of the community.
Without wishing to mention a particular race, I have also noticed gobbing is very common "from a certain section of the community".

I was walking past the BullRing (near the Bull) a few weeks ago, and there were a group of 20 or so men from this section of the community leaning on the railings (near the rotunda)

As I walked past them a couple of them just leaned over the railings and spat on the floor.

I was also in my local area (Solihull) a few weeks ago outside Burger King and a couple of guys (from the same community) were sitting in their car eating Burger and chips.

As the finished they just opened their car door, threw the wrapper underneath their car, and drove off.

I am afraid this is fairly common, and why certain areas of Birmingham go downhill very quickly.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Without wishing to mention a particular race, I have also noticed gobbing is very common "from a certain section of the community".
Oh just say it, people from India/Pakistan part of Asia. Women even spit, which is even more frowned upon in British culture.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,271 Posts
I find that we've reached a point in our culture and lifestyle where a lot of people are completely put off by being monitored yet the same group would like to see everybody spied on when it comes to anti-social behaviour. Spitting is a hideous act that spreads germs - yes most I've seen are Asian but all races have their underclasses though.
After watching the tv programme Do Gooders about characters like George Dawson and Wilberforce, it is definitely time for the average person to really take stock of themselves, look in the mirror and to say to them self "What can I do to make it a better day for me, my city and its people?". My wife is aware of the nastiness and sheer rudeness of the average Briton and can't understand where we came to be like this.
The idiotic drunken bores around the German Market need to be removed from the vicinity and the amount of homeless people could be solved straightaway if our landlords sorted out some empty spaces for re-use. How many empty buildings are there around?? It's an absolute crime in times of austerity for there to be so many empty buildings around during winter while people sleep rough.

·
The promised land
17,653 Posts
its people not saying thank you when you hold the door open for them that pisses me off.

·
Jersey's finest
5,040 Posts
its people not saying thank you when you hold the door open for them that pisses me off.
Or when you let them out in traffic and get no thanks.

I think without realising it you've brought up some big issues about society EK, i think sometimes a lot of people are too frightened or intimidated to intervene or help. And someone mentioned Paradise circus.... i've had to do deliveries to the underground part (basically underneath central library and the copthorne) and there are many homeless people down there, with semi permanent structures, its like a scene from a disaster film, or what you'd expect to see in a shanty town...certainly not inner city Birmingham!!

I felt awful because i was delivering a load of hot food to Council members having a conference in the library, and literally under their feet were these poor, cold, hungry and forgotten people.

morestoreysplease just mentioned the amount of empty, unused buildings around the city, perfectly habitable buildings which would stop these people freezing or starving to death. its 2010 for gods sake! do people not care anymore?? or are there more pressing matters in the world like what Gillian mckeith is upto in the jungle?

·
Jersey's finest
5,040 Posts
The volume of people up New Street is now a disaster waiting to happen, it's been getting worse each year

If there was any reason for people to vacate quickly it would become a horrendous stampede. .
I couldn't agree more.... and i think the emergency services would struggle to get access.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
It's been mentioned before that there isn't even an issue of lack of places for homeless people to stay. Every night, beds remain empty at hostels throughout the city centre and wider area.

·
Jersey's finest
5,040 Posts
It's been mentioned before that there isn't even an issue of lack of places for homeless people to stay. Every night, beds remain empty at hostels throughout the city centre and wider area.
So i suppose some of the guys/girls out there on the streets are there through choice??

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I don't know. I can't understand why they would be sleeping on the streets in temperatures like these when there are beds available, of which they should be aware.

·
Banned
66 Posts
So i suppose some of the guys/girls out there on the streets are there through choice??
In the main part yes, as there is sufficient hostel accommodation already available. Unfortunately many choose to sleep rough due to mental illness, so its a much more complicated problem than just providing beds.

·
Simples
6,815 Posts
In the main part yes, as there is sufficient hostel accommodation already available. Unfortunately many choose to sleep rough due to mental illness, so its a much more complicated problem than just providing beds.
This has been very true for a large numebr of years in fact i made a similar point about this on this forum ony about 6months ago but actually things have changed for the worse and as there has been a significant uptick in homelessness over the last year which has caught a number of local authorites out and meant there have been times when there has been a shortage of hostel beds - including in Birmingham.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts