SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 380 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
APRIL 1ST WEEK ONWARD PARIYARAM MEDICAL COLLEGE WILL BECOME A COMPLETE GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
It was with great difficulty I dug out this thread on health care. It was buried somewhere without anybody visiting it for the last one year. The last post in this thread was exactly one year back.

So are many threads in SSC. Nobody wants to use it. I dug it out for a reason. I thought of posting something on KOVID19. There is no meaning in discussing anything else now.

But the trouble is some thing different. All the protagonists of "velli vara" and shopping "maalams" will be after me in hordes now. Their idea of development is denigrating this old man.

Let it be. What can they do apart from what they are proficient at.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The whole world is in turmoil today. Due to that dreaded 'Corona' virus.

Is an epidemic or pandemic new to the world? Not at all. Even in twentieth century millions of people fell dead due to epidemics like Plague, infuenza, small pox, cholera, TB etc.

In the last century half of China's population was wiped out due to plague. So was the situation in many European countries. Even today more people die in US alone due to common flue than the total number of people who died due to Corona in the entire world. I am not even talking about diseases that do not fall under epidemics, but under life style diseases like cancer, HIV, heart ailments etc.

Even in Kerala there were many times epidemics like small pox and cholera where lacs of people died. Even people abandoned their relatives and villages and fled.

There may be millions dying due to malnutrition or road accidents in the world. Or due to war and terrorism or even due to pollution.

Then why this pandemonium on Corona?

I will deal with it in the next post.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The whole fear about corona arises out of its fast transmission. By the time you shut and open your eyes it passes from individual cases to community transmission to pandemic.

But the funny thing is Kovid19 virus is not air borne like small pox.

It can be transmitted only through body contact and bodily secretion during sneezing etc. Or touching the surface like door knobs touched by a patient.

Then why is it so difficult to contain it?

Because the world is a global village today. Where travelling world wide is so common. In old days epidemics were contained in small areas.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
What is the fatality rate if KOVID19?

It is negligible compared to other diseases like Cancer or heart ailments or liver cirrhosis or even curable TB. It is hardly 3%, and that too this three percent belongs to elderly people. Others recover like they recover from a common cold.

This is not to say it is any consolation. Of course it is never a consolation to those unfortunate 3%.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Is there a cure?

A cure is not in the sight at least for the next one year. That much time is needed for clinical tests before it can be used widely.

The only way out is prevention like many other diseases born out of a virus.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Can the modern medicine end all epidemics one day?

In my opinion, Never. As long as death is a reality, disease also is a reality. We have no other alternative than to live with disease and death.

More over nature is more complicated than what we think. It will always try to find a balance. There is no escape from it.

Once we find a cure for one disease, it will take another incurable form.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Is the current panic in Kerala warranted?

I do not think so. Precaution, especially individual, community and governmental precautions are necessary. But not panic.

In Kerala the work we are doing is commendable. But I am afraid we are a bit over reacting.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Will the epidemic subside?

If we go by the past experiences in history, it must subside. No epidemic goes beyond a six months stretch.

The reasons are two fold.

One. Human body acquires immunity to the pathogen. Nobody knows how. But it happens.

Two. The epidemic pathogens are usually cyclical. It runs for a period and subsides itself. Again nobody knows how.

So every chance is, it will subside by April end.

If it doesn't, and takes a more virulent form and takes frightening numbers of human lives, it can be called a bad human collective 'Karma'. Nobody can do anything else about it.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
What ever control govt is putting is appreciable....
Any dilution in control will turn this to community disease....

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Appreciation has come for Kerala not only from other parts of India, but from across the globe. Central government is taking Kerala as a role model and they are following in the foot steps of our state. It is commendable.

I must congratulate our CM and health minister Shylaja teacher. She is the best health minister we had, as far as my memory can recollect. She is better than many male ministers. She proved it not only on the occasions of epidemics like Nipah and Corona, but also in improving the public health care infrastructure during non epidemic time also. She is a brave lady. And efficient too.

The only black spot is our opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala. He is down right mean and jealous. He doesn't like one thing Shylaja teacher does. He is finding fault with her daily media brief. I find the media brief by her sensible and useful. But Chennithala describes it as media crazy and publicity stunt.

It seems neither the 'Chenni' nor the 'thala' of our opposition leader is working. Instead of giving full support to the government in this time of difficulty, that insensitive fellow is finding fault with every thing the government does. His jealousy leads him to try to score some political brownie points on the dufficult situation we are facing today.

Shame on him. He has completely forgotten his opposition Dharma.

·
Keralite
156 Posts
Please take care guys next 14 days could be crucial for us. if there is a secondary contact in next 14 days it will be very difficult for us to control.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Only things we can do are the following.

1. Avoid a crowd as much as possible. Purchase your provisions in bulk. Do not visit stores quite often. Purchases that are non essential can be postponed. You can postpone the purchase of rebook shoes or Lenin shirts or denim pants till the pandemic subsides. Wear a 'mundu' or 'chappal' if you don't have jeans and shoes. Avoid marriage receptions. Stop visiting malls and multiplexes. (I expect a lot of attacks from the development freaks).

2. Do not fall prey to western concepts. Avoid a hand shake. Say 'Namaste' instead. Wash your hands often, especially after coming from out side. The most dangerous thing is handling of currencies. It is a store house of germs. Do not depend too much on sanitizer. It is only a secondary line of defence. The best way is to wash your hands.

3. Keep a positive mind. The worst thing that can happen to you is death. And death is the only thing certain in life.

I am prepared for it. Are you?

Cheers!

361 - 380 of 385 Posts