SkyscraperCity banner

301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
^^ pretty sure it was always SCC & Queensberry's plan to do stabilisation works to Leah's Yard under HotC2 and as one of the earlier phases at that - which is what the planning app will relate to (I haven't looked at the app yet thiugh). I think proposals for full refurb of that building complex to complement the adjoining Food Hall block will take much longer to come to fruition.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Following this and news regarding the office block (H2) due to come forward as part of Block H, hopefully the whole block will move forward in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
502 Posts
News on Block H

Sheffield city council has put firms on notice for the next phase of work at its £470m Heart of the City II mixed-use scheme.

The main contractor will be completing work on a £37.5m development designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley, known as Block H or Five Ways Square.
The winner of the latest contract will start work this October and complete in June 2022.

Bidders have until 30 March to express interest.
https://www.building.co.uk/news/more-work-up-for-grabs-on-sheffield-scheme/5104543.article

·
Registered
502 Posts
I may be reading into this too much but...

Radisson Blu has been chosen by the council as the preferred hotel for the Pinstone street block. Does this mean the hotel company have agreed yet or it's just what the council would like to see happen?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/stylish-chain-chosen-flagship-heart-city-ii-sheffield-city-centre-hotel-2441672

Radisson Blu has been chosen by Sheffield Council to anchor the city centre development.

The hotel, on Pinstone Street, overlooking the Peace Gardens, is expected to have more than 150 rooms.

The upper upscale international hotel brand is operated by Radisson Hotel Group and is renowned for its personalised service in stylish spaces.

The hotel will anchor the new Heart of the City II scheme which is already home to global bank HSBC and which will also shortly welcome prominent international law firm CMS.

Part of Block A in Heart of the City II, the hotel will be housed in a Victorian architecture building towards the top end of Pinstone Street, adjacent to the Barclays building on the corner.

Developed by Sheffield Council and its strategic delivery partner Queensberry, Block A sits between Pinstone Street, Burgess Street and Barker’s Pool.

A council spokesman said: “Providing a key gateway to the Heart of the City II district from the east, Block A will also feature premium retail units at street level and 45,000 sq feet of office or residential space.”

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I take it to mean that it’s a a done deal. Not sure what the point of the council saying they’d like xyz operator would be.

That said it’s always hard to tell from articles in the Star. They’re not the most credible of newspapers.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'd say that was a done deal also - if a company has been selected, it means they put in bid to be the operator, competing against others, and the council chose them.

Radisson are really good - stayed at the Radisson in Leeds a few times, which is also in a lovely old building, adjacent to The Light. It will be really good to see some detailed plans for this block, and those plans come to fruition as it's been in a poor state for some time.

I wonder how they will decide whether the other floors will be residential or office? Whatever the greater demand I suppose. I think office space would be better - given the Wellington Street towers, Elephant Works, and the proposed tower on MidCity site.

Seperate i know, but I wonder if there will be any movement on The Citadel this year.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The citadel isn’t in the scope of HOTC2 strictly speaking but a planning application has gone in to renovate it and convert it to a restaurant. Originally was to be a bar but another planning app has since gone in.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The citadel isn’t in the scope of HOTC2 strictly speaking but a planning application has gone in to renovate it and convert it to a restaurant. Originally was to be a bar but another planning app has since gone in.
Yeah i know it isn't in scope for HOTC2, and I never understood why, or why it was omitted from other versions, including Sevenstone.

Restaurant be a good use, just depends how they use the layout. Or maybe they would just gut it and start afresh.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's a busy week over at Sheffield council.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/block-h-cultural-heart/?doing_wp_cron=1584010597.3183009624481201171875

Block H plans have been confirmed and are going out to consultation.

The 'new' H2 block that's already posted, alongside retaining the Henry's building and adjacent buildings. (H3).

Definitely retaining most of the facades on Cambridge street but i'm not sure if some of the buildings are going to remodelled like the ones under construction adjacent.

Public consultation for H2 and H3 runs 12 March-7 April, with public drop-in sessions, at the former Clicks and Mortar shop on Pinstone Street, taking place on 25 March (15:30-19:00) and 26 March (11:00-16:00).

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
https://www.heartofcity2.com/news/

Block H to become ‘cultural heart’ of Heart of the City II

March 2020

Exciting plans to retain a significant amount of heritage and create a new ‘cultural heart’ in the Council’s Heart of the City II development were unveiled today.

Block H, which is located on the site between Wellington Street, Carver Street and Cambridge Street, will provide a wide-ranging development split into three distinct elements (H1, H2 and H3). A period of public consultation on H2 and H3 begins today, ahead of a planning submission this Spring.

H2 will be a brand-new building offering approximately 70,000 sq ft of Grade A office space, split across seven upper floors and boasting an impressive south facing roof terrace, with retail and food and beverage units on the ground floor.

The visually striking, dark-coloured metal building will take inspiration from Sheffield’s celebrated industrial past. H2 has been designed to minimise operational energy, emitting around 40% less carbon than a typical Building Regulations compliant design. This efficiency will also continue to improve as the embodied carbon in the electricity grid reduces.

In contrast, the development for H3 (to be known as Cambridge Street Collective) will be aiming to retain as much of the quality, existing fabric and façades along Cambridge Street and Wellington Street as feasible – helping to attractively balance the old and new across the site.

Proposals for Cambridge Street Collective include a large, industrial-style space, which would be perfectly suited to a food hall or similar sociable, communal offer. Wrapping this space would be complementary shops, a bar and restaurant, and an upper level leisure space. The existing Bethel Chapel building will also be renovated, with plans for this to become a live entertainment venue.

Although not part of this planning application, the site is also home to Leah’s Yard (H1) – a Grade II* Listed building housing a collection of small former industrial workshops. Plans are still at an early stage, however there is a real desire from the project team to maintain the building’s unique Sheffield character by providing similar workshops for the city’s next creative generation. In the meantime, Listed Building Consent is being sought to undertake the structural works required to make the buildings secure.

Councillor Mazher Iqbal, Cabinet Member for Business and Investment at Sheffield City Council, explained the vision:

“We will be retaining a lot of attractive heritage across the Heart of the City II site, while also ensuring we create new spaces that are sustainable to the local economy.

“With some of the most interesting architecture in the city centre, Block H was always going to be one of the most rewarding blocks in the masterplan. We truly believe that these new plans will help provide a cultural heart and social anchor to the scheme.”

In a bid to ensure a viable and attractive development – one that also respects the heritage assets on the Block H site, Sheffield City Council and its Strategic Development Partner, Queensberry, have been working closely with heritage interest groups in the city. They have been discussing design and usage ideas.

The emerging proposals for this block now showcase the retention of far more original architecture than envisaged in the 2018 masterplan. Plans now include the preservation and sympathetic restoration of the quality fabric and façades along Cambridge Street and Wellington Street, including the listed Bethel Sunday School and Leah’s Yard, as well as the Bethel Chapel and the buildings that formerly housed Brewhouse and Henry’s. The historic buildings fronting these streets will be kept with internal adaptations and reconstruction carried out where necessary to bring them back into use.

Nick Roscoe of Hallamshire Historic Buildings, said:

“Sheffield City Council should be commended for taking this enlightened and forward-thinking approach to the interesting range of buildings that we can see on Cambridge Street and Wellington Street today.

“They have brought in first class architects and consulted carefully with stakeholders to make the most of these precious heritage assets. This is a project to be proud of and an approach we hope to see followed again.”

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I said when plans for this corner first showed these buildings going that although I wanted to retain them, they would come to be out of scale eventually, given the other new buildings around them, but I welcome these plans to retain them, and given the office block behind, and the extended rooftops above (the orange sections in the picture above), I think the massing works well actually, so I'm definitely 100% behind keeping them. People say, 'these aren't special' but honestly, human nature for most people does put a heavy importance on heritage, and knowing you have a city of buildings from certain eras etc.; for example. Marmadukes in the new office block is nice, but ultimately you know deep down you are in a room in an office block. I think keeping the Henry's unit et al, with new buildings behind is the best of both worlds.

301 - 320 of 327 Posts