Registered
3,054 Posts
Hebrew Congregational Synagogue 180 Bewick Road

The above is post #1196 from 15/05/17

Finally something starting to happen ?

On Gateshead Planning Portal on 04/12/17

EXTRACT

DC/17/01280/NMA

Proposed non-material amendment of application DC/15/00475/FUL to allow scheme of intrusive site investigation measures to be described as 'phased' scheme of intrusive site investigation measures.

Hebrew Congregational Synagogue 180 Bewick Road Bensham Gateshead NE8 1UF

Status - Decided

Decision - Grant

Decision Issued Date - Fri 01 Dec 2017

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=OZVPWHHKK4I00

From Planning Documents the phasing plan, http://myserviceplanning.gateshead....j.pdf?DocNo=19875273&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

Also posted to Gateshead thread

KEN
Work has finally started.

DSCF2452 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2453 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2454 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2457 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2458 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2464 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Registered
20,898 Posts
Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead - pictures 17/02/18

Alf beat me to it with his pictures in post immediately above

Set to be covered by myself on a pre-planned multi project route for progress photographs on Saturday 17/02/18 took these pictures at approx 0845 to show situation with works being carried out by Meldrum Construction on Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead from a few different viewpoints

On seeing Alf's post had a good look through the documents on the Planning Application associated with the project

DC/15/00475/FUL

Demolition of the existing synagogue and the construction of a new shul (Synagogue), community rooms and mikvehs (ritual baths) (additional info received 02/07/15 and 07/07/15 and amended 21/07/15).

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NO0SUOHKICP00

From the planning documents the Design & Access Statement http://myserviceplanning.gateshead....j.pdf?DocNo=17437701&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf makes no reference to the likely presence circular brickwork uncovered by the works

and neither do the documents associated with Coal Mining Risk although Tyne Main Seam present in the area- suggests not associated with mine shaft

From size and shape together with location close to Windmill Hills area possibly the remains of a historic windmill - checked on an 1860 map but nothing shown then

Extract of text from http://englandsnortheast.co.uk/Gateshead.html wemsite

Despite its early industrial development Gateshead was still little more than a large village noted for "oak trees and windmills" in the eighteenth century. The area of Gateshead known as the Windmill Hills near Bensham recalls the mills that were once an important feature of Gateshead's landscape.

The hills and their mills are remembered today in the Windmill Hills Park just to the north of Bensham Road. This was Gateshead's first public park, established in 1861. Historically, however, the Windmill Hills covered a much wider area than this.

As late as 1834, Mckenzie's History of Durham recorded that the Windmill Hills were "studded with corn mills which seen at a distance, impart a lively and picturesque effect to the landscape". It was a windy spot which was once home to around ten mills, though there were others mills in various parts of the town. One mill was still standing at Carr Hill as late as 1964.

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Alf beat me to it with his pictures in post immediately above

Set to be covered by myself on a pre-planned multi project route for progress photographs on Saturday 17/02/18 took these pictures at approx 0845 to show situation with works being carried out by Meldrum Construction on Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead from a few different viewpoints

On seeing Alf's post had a good look through the documents on the Planning Application associated with the project

DC/15/00475/FUL

Demolition of the existing synagogue and the construction of a new shul (Synagogue), community rooms and mikvehs (ritual baths) (additional info received 02/07/15 and 07/07/15 and amended 21/07/15).

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NO0SUOHKICP00

From the planning documents the Design & Access Statement http://myserviceplanning.gateshead....j.pdf?DocNo=17437701&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf makes no reference to the likely presence circular brickwork uncovered by the works

and neither do the documents associated with Coal Mining Risk although Tyne Main Seam present in the area- suggests not associated with mine shaft

From size and shape together with location close to Windmill Hills area possibly the remains of a historic windmill - checked on an 1860 map but nothing shown then

Extract of text from http://englandsnortheast.co.uk/Gateshead.html wemsite

Despite its early industrial development Gateshead was still little more than a large village noted for "oak trees and windmills" in the eighteenth century. The area of Gateshead known as the Windmill Hills near Bensham recalls the mills that were once an important feature of Gateshead's landscape.

The hills and their mills are remembered today in the Windmill Hills Park just to the north of Bensham Road. This was Gateshead's first public park, established in 1861. Historically, however, the Windmill Hills covered a much wider area than this.

As late as 1834, Mckenzie's History of Durham recorded that the Windmill Hills were "studded with corn mills which seen at a distance, impart a lively and picturesque effect to the landscape". It was a windy spot which was once home to around ten mills, though there were others mills in various parts of the town. One mill was still standing at Carr Hill as late as 1964.

KEN
I also thought of an old windmill but as you say it doesn't show up on the early maps and I can't find any reference to a windmill on the Rectors Field anywhere else. The mention of old mine workings is interesting though as Bensham is riddled with them. There have been lots of incidences of susbsidence over the years but the major one was in 1968 when parts of Westminster Street and Hydepark Street began to collapse and the houses had to be evacuated. The houses were eventually demolished and the park facing St. Chad's Church was installed on the site. Much earlier than that, however, there was another subsidence incident in Bensham:

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail on 9th. April 1895:

COLLAPSE OF A STREET
A BIG HOLE AT GATESHEAD
A pit-fall of an alarming scale has taken place in the thoroughfare at Mardale-parade, Bensham, Gateshead. The road in front of the houses there, and facing the vicarage, suddenly collapsed to a great extent a few days ago and left a cavity that at once put a stop to all vehicular traffic. As a result of the subsidence there is at present a hole, circular in form, which cannot be less than twenty feet in diameter. It extends to a depth of about ten feet or so, and then to the centre there is another hole some sixteen feet in diameter which is evidently an old pit shaft. The latter is at least thirty feet in depth before water is reached and how far the water extends has not been ascertained. The shaft which is probably an air shaft when that part of the district would be fields seems to have been covered over with timber, the cavity above it being filled up and the roadway subsequently made. The timber seems at length to have given way and the amount of earth that fell into the shaft during the late subsidence must have been enormous. It is proposed to build an arch of bricks over the shaft mouth before the thoroughfare is renewed. The subsidence has caused a good deal of alarm in the locality.

Mardale Parade was where the Yeshiva is now and it is just possible that there was another ventilation shaft nearby.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

Alas they have boarded up the western side of the site (Rectory Road end) which was hitherto the best viewing point:

DSCF2568 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

The north side is still acccesible through the railings:

DSCF2563 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2561 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

At the north and eastern ends they have extended the metal fencing so that it is harder to get close and they have laid down a concrete apron on what used to be part of Claremont Park in accordance with the land swap deal:

DSCF2556 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2557 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

There has been nothing much to report since the snow was cleared and they continued digging a big hole. This morning, however I saw a delivery of plastic pipes and went back this evening to investigate:

DSCF2653 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

There was also a strange looking contraption which looked like one of Kim Jong-un's missile launchers:

DSCF2652 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

Then there was the big hole:

DSCF2649 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2648 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2655 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

And this:

DSCF2654 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
20,898 Posts
Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead - below ground conditions

^^

Looks similar to the equipment used over at the Northbourne St housing scheme in west end of Newcastle - used for drilling holes in advance of grouting to stabilise the ground where mining activity has taken place

See http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=120548403&postcount=716

Picture and text from that post

and mine working remediation work is being carried out by Groundshire Ltd, Littleburn House, Littleburn Industrial Estate, Langley Moor, Durham DH7 8HJ, main website http://www.groundshire.com/ involving what appears to be drilling holes and grouting, http://www.groundshire.com/?page_id=145 - 2 drilling rigs and other equipment on site and lots of projecting pipes to be seen where work has been carried out,

From the Planning Documents for the Synagogue project

See http://myserviceplanning.gateshead....j.pdf?DocNo=17564871&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

EXTRACT

The new proposals for the site do not alter the original findings in relation to the risk from shallow mining. Consequently exploratory boreholes drilled to investigate the site have identified voids and broken ground:

The voids and broken ground are probably associated with the Metal Seam which is indicated on the geological section to have a seam thickness of up to 70cm. Rock cover in ordinary circumstance would be acceptable however the inclusion of, and the existing basements will require precautions to be incorporated into the construction.

AND also see text on this document, http://myserviceplanning.gateshead....j.pdf?DocNo=17574528&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

KEN

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

There was a small army of workmen deployed today to spoil our view of the site:

DSCF2688 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2689 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2690 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2692 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2695Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2696 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

It was in marked contrast to 1938 when Dr. Max Chalk (Mordka Chalkowski) almost single-handedly raised the cash to buy the land, recruited a direct labour force and in his spare time supervised them in building the current Synagogue. As it says in They Docked At Newcastle and Wound Up in Gateshead by Millie Donbrow - "In between attending to women in labour, and patients in waiting, Dr. Chalk ordered bricks and sand and cement, and stood in the clay of Bewick Road directing building operations."

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

They are still earth clearing at the moment though I hope to see some other activity shortly as do the members of the Jewish community. I have heard several of them telling their youngsters that is where the new schul will be as they look through the fence at the mud:

DSCF2787 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2790 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2791 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF2794 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

I didn't pass the synagogue site until after working hours today so I don't know if they had returned to work after the holiday weekend but there is a lot of water around:

DSCF2807 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

I walked by the site this afternoon and it was deserted. I was wondering if work might be suspended during Passover.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
21 - 40 of 167 Posts