·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hebrew Congregational Synagogue 180 Bewick Road

Looking good!

Is there more to be built sometime in the future, off to the right where the trees are?
When the current new part building is occupied the old Synagogue will be demolished and the new one extended. The apple tree is hiding the much smaller building which was opened in 1938.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

When the current new part building is occupied the old Synagogue will be demolished and the new one extended. The apple tree is hiding the much smaller building which was opened in 1938.
I forgot that I had this sketch from the Gateshead MBC planning application which shows the building as it will look eventually. The view is looking north along Rectory Road and roughly from where I took my photograph:

synagogue sketch by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

I went down this morning in the rain to take my usual Sabbath selection but there was little change to see externally. I was chatting to one of the Jewish elders and he told me that there was ony tidying up to do outside and the builders would be concentrating on getting the ritual bathing area into operation. The new building will have 23 showers whereas the old one has just six. He also said that it would be 10 months before the new buiding was fully operational.

They had installed the gate and what I thought was the last bit of metal railing in the perimeter fence but another piece has appeared and I can't see where they are going to put that:

DSCF7139 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

This is the long view from Rectory Road roughly approximating to the sketch I posted last week but the sketcher was able to ignore the trees:

DSCF7129 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

We have reached that stage of the project where I have to report that nothing has changed externally since last week's Sabbath Selection. However, I can report an unusual occurrence on my visit today. I mentioned a while ago that on a couple of visits I was challenged by security guards after their control room had spotted me on camera. It was all very civilised helped by the fact that I know most of the guards. After those two incidents I made a point of letting the guards know I was takng photographs and all has gone amicably until today. I arrived to find a guard I had never seen before so I explained what I was doing there. He rudely demanded my name and I told him I wasn't prepared to give him that informatiion. He then said he wouldn't allow me to take any photographs until I did. I politely pointed out that he had no power to stop me and I was not breaking any law by taking photographs in a public place. I left him contacting his control centre on his walkie talkie and started taking pictures which I didn't really want as it had become a point of principle or pig-headedness, perhaps. I took my time even though it had started to rain again and I couldn't see the Synagogue through my rain spattered lens. I can only assume that his control told him to leave me to it as he didn't follow me. I can't wait for next week.

·
Super Moderator
22,237 Posts
We have reached that stage of the project where I have to report that nothing has changed externally since last week's Sabbath Selection. However, I can report an unusual occurrence on my visit today. I mentioned a while ago that on a couple of visits I was challenged by security guards after their control room had spotted me on camera. It was all very civilised helped by the fact that I know most of the guards. After those two incidents I made a point of letting the guards know I was takng photographs and all has gone amicably until today. I arrived to find a guard I had never seen before so I explained what I was doing there. He rudely demanded my name and I told him I wasn't prepared to give him that informatiion. He then said he wouldn't allow me to take any photographs until I did. I politely pointed out that he had no power to stop me and I was not breaking any law by taking photographs in a public place. I left him contacting his control centre on his walkie talkie and started taking pictures which I didn't really want as it had become a point of principle or pig-headedness, perhaps. I took my time even though it had started to rain again and I couldn't see the Synagogue through my rain spattered lens. I can only assume that his control told him to leave me to it as he didn't follow me. I can't wait for next week.

Well done Alf, it annoys me when things like this happen.

You handled it perfectly, hope you didn't get too wet !!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

There was no security presence when I visited the new Synagogue this morning and I was able to wander round freely though I guess not unnoticed by cctv. Alas there wasn't much to see externally so it is a mini Sabbath selection. They have worked on the ramp and safety rail near the north west entrance and there is still levelling off going on at the east end:

DSCF7308 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7306 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7312 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

When I went down this morning they had removed the hoardings around the east eleation and replaced them with mesh fencing up to the bottom footpath through Bewick Road Park, They have also removed some of the mesh fencing on the north elevation allowing a better view. They have also resurfaced parts of the road at the north end:

DSCF7415 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7419 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7423 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7424 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7430 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7431 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7430 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7438 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

Another small Sabbath selection from this morning as all of the exterior work has been concentrated on the east end of the site again this week. On 27th. July I reported that an elder had told me that it would be 10 months to completion of the new building but today I was told that they were negotiating to have the work completed in four months because of the rapidly deteriorating state of the old ritual baths.

DSCF7584 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7589 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7590 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7591 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7592 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7593 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

There had been a bit more activity in the last week I noted this morning. They have dug ditches from Rectory Road and up the north side of the site. Meanwhile they have begun to lay out paths on the east side:

DSCF7859 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7861 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7862 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7866 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7867 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7870 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

It has been a short working week because of Rosh Hashanah on Monday and Tuesday. They have managed to fill in some of the trenches with soil and rubble but mostly they seem to have concentrated on fitting new metal railings on the east perimeter. This effectively means that the Synagogue is now completely fenced off from the adjacent park apart the two access points:

DSCF4256 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4258 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4260 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4266 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4271 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4272Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

Another day was lost this week for Yom Kippur and the only external work visible this morning was the reinstatement of the footpath and road on the north side of the site and termac laid on the footpaths on the east side. I had hoped that the footpaths would have been topped off with something a bit more aesthetically pleasing than tarmac. Work for the next two weeks will also be curtailed for more Jewish holidays so there might be little or nothing to report:

DSCF4337 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4338 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4340 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4343 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4345 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF4367 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

121 - 140 of 167 Posts