3,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
20,819 Posts
Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead - pictures 29/12/19

My last posted pictures on this project were those taken 6 months ago, on post #16 this new thread, (Religious Buildings thread, post #1369) as Alf has being doing a wonderful job of covering the progress with his weekly reports

On a planned multi project route for progress photographs made a short detour on Bank Holiday Monday 27/06/18 and took these pictures at approx 1000 when walking along Rectory Rd to show situation with works being carried out by Meldrum Construction on Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead

Surprised to see work being carried out on a Bank Holiday - but they do have the restriction of not working Saturdays

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
My last posted pictures on this project were those taken 27/08/18, on post #60 this thread (cut down version above), as Alf Stone has done a wonderful job of covering the progress with his weekly reports

On a planned multi project route for progress photographs made a short detour on Sunday 29/12/19 and at approx 1145 took these pictures at when walking north along Rectory Rd to show situation with works being carried out by Meldrum Construction on Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead

With no leaves of trees a fairly decent view of the existing building

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hebrew Congregational Synagogue, 180 Bewick Road, Gateshead

I was quite surprised to see work starting again on the east elevation of the Synagogue. Towards the north end they have removed brickwork to make a large opening. At the south end the work is obscured by the curtain on the scaffolding but similar noises have been coming from behind it.

DSCF5551 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5554 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5556 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5565 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

There is not much to report this Sabbath but they have erected scaffolding around the two structures above roof level:

DSCF5592 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5606 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

I was told by an elder that the structures would allow them to carry out wedding ceremonies there instead of having to erect a chuppa in the car park in Ravenscourt Place every time someone got married as they do now:

Chuppah in Ravenscourt Place by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but while doing a bit of research on this synagogue I ended up looking up synagogues in Newcastle/Gateshead on Google Maps and they all had horrible reviews :( Disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
22,237 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but while doing a bit of research on this synagogue I ended up looking up synagogues in Newcastle/Gateshead on Google Maps and they all had horrible reviews :( Disappointing.

There is a very long list of Synagogues in our Forum INDEX, under "J" for 'Jewish issues'.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

Just to let you know that I haven't abandoned the Synagogue but there has been no external work done since my last post on 2nd February but there is lots of work going on inside:

DSCF5937 Synagogue by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Taking my daily exercise allowance I passed the Synagogue as I do every day and spotted a bit of activity on the site this morning. For the last couple of weeks they have been bringing a large crane on site to load what looks like ducting equipment to the roof area. I have always caught them on a break until today:

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
When I passed the Synagogue this morning they were beginning to dismantle the scaffolding from the east elevation. As it is only two minutes from my house I went down after the workmen had clocked off to see what progress had been made:

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

It's been a long time since there was any change to the exterior but today they have removed part of the scaffolding from the roof area:

141 - 160 of 167 Posts