Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21795937-2702,00.html

Hebron sister city anger

A SYDNEY council's proposal to build a sister-city relationship with the Palestinian town of Hebron has triggered outrage among Sydney's Jewish community and accusations of "gross abuse" of ratepayer trust.
Leichhardt City Council, in Sydney's inner west, approved a motion last month by Labor Mayor Alice Murphy to investigate a friendship or sister-city relationship with Hebron, which is governed by the Palestinian Authority, following representations from a local peace group.

According to the council's minutes, Ms Murphy told the meeting Hebron had suffered years of destruction and occupation by Israeli forces.

But George Newhouse, the Mayor of Waverley Council, in Sydney's eastern suburbs, said a sister-city relationship between Leichhardt and Hebron would be a gross abuse of ratepayer funds and trust.

Mr Newhouse, who has been endorsed by Labor to challenge federal Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull in the eastern Sydney seat of Wentworth, said he had called Ms Murphy and been assured by her the arrangement would involve no funding and would assist only legitimate groups such as the Red Cross to raise money for Hebron.

But when informed of the content of the motion passed by council, Mr Newhouse said its language was inflammatory and indicated a greater commitment of financial and in kind support than a mere fundraising exercise.

"Do they know who's on Hebron council?" Mr Newhouse said. "Do they know who runs that place? And what protections are in place to ensure the council isn't dealing with people with blood on their hands?"

Vic Alhadeff, from the Jewish Board of Deputies, said the council had been led astray by a hard Left group and had no business getting involved in the global arena in a partisan political way.

And Paddy McGuinness, a former Leichhardt councillor and editor of the conservative magazine Quadrant, was even more blunt. "They're w.....s," he said. "It's the usual inner-city Left loonies. They're silly and of course they're anti-Semitic."

Ms Murphy did not return calls, but Greens councillor Kate Hamilton supported the council's move. "I think that the Middle East is in a highly sensitised situation at the moment and I'm taken aback a little that the Jewish community has taken it this way," she said. "Our role is to act as glue for different sections of the community."

Ms Hamilton said the last the group wanted to do was "generate any sense of factionalism or hostility".

"We have banners all over the town hall saying we don't support the federal Government's industrial relations legislation and don't support the current approach to what's called practical reconciliation.

"But we wouldn't do anything that would be divisive of the community."
------------------------------

The Daily Telegraph's headline is "It's the Inner-West Bank". :lol:

Anyway, good on them.

Even though I may be called a "usual inner-city Left loonie" by a conservative magazine editor, i'm all for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Petty on the part of Australia's Jewish community.

It's just a sister city relationship!
They're absolutely shit scared of the wider community turning against them.

Remember what happened the last time everyone around them turned against them?

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Am... Australia should not alienate/sever ties with palestine because of a jewish community. We should not do this to any place in the world.

Except .. North Korea... haha
And a number of African dictatorship countries...

·
Banned
419 Posts
I dont dislike jews, but come on, some of them are just hypocrites - they do the same thing to the Palestinians as that of the Nazis to them. You would think they from all ppl would know better. Its not all jews though. Its just the Frank Lowy sort of jews that ruin it for the rest of them.
Did any1 see that poll in the BBC - Australia rated amongst the highest in the world for a country who views Israel as the worlds most negative... even more than some of the Arab countries. Does any1 have a link to it??????

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I dont dislike jews, but come on, some of them are just hypocrites - they do the same thing to the Palestinians as that of the Nazis to them. You would think they from all ppl would know better. Its not all jews though. Its just the Frank Lowy sort of jews that ruin it for the rest of them.
Did any1 see that poll in the BBC - Australia rated amongst the highest in the world for a country who views Israel as the worlds most negative... even more than some of the Arab countries. Does any1 have a link to it??????
there are hypcorites in every race, like some people saying there should be peace between Israel and Palestinians and then continueing to supply bombs and rockets to Hamas.

but anyway this is a good move despte what those Jews think.

·
Registered
470 Posts
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

True true, not unlike the Americans who preach peace in the region and continue to provide Israel with gunships, planes, missiles and artillery
exactly, you shouldn't generalise a group of people but I don't think american goverment preaches peace at all, after all they are still in Afghanistan

·
Banned
419 Posts
Yes but ppl r getting sick of Israel... i dont think it enjoys the same amount of support as it did 20,30 yrs ago. The current political climate and detrioration of support of America and trend extrapolation (i.e. Vietnam) tells us that the next 20 yrs are going to be the toughest for Israel. Maybe we can finally see some news channel referring to "Israeli state terrorism" as subjectively as they do to "terrorist" Hamas. I dont think there is a difference at all, except Israeli state terrorism kills more innocent people with dignity.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
If as Australians we had to put up with the number of bombings and murders that the Israelis have, and were surrounded by enemies who hated us, we may be a little hard line as well.

Hopefully, eventually a binding agreement will be reached giving the Palestinians the Gaza Strip and a good portion of the West Bank, whilst allowing Israel to feel safe from attack.

I'm mostly angry with other nearby oil rich nations who I believe have been deliberately using the Palestinians as pawns in their own grudge with the Jewish state.

And the end point to all this is that no Australian city council should even be thinking about involving itself in such a divisive situation.

·
Banned
419 Posts
^^ Yes, I can just imagine us Australians being invaded by The Kiwis, them taking our land because its their "promised Land" in some bible, and we just happily dance in to another area. LOOK AT THE ROOT CAUSE. Thats the whole point of why the situation is not being rectified, because of idiots like you, who know nothing about the situation, only wat murdoch tells you. And all stupid ppl ever think of is a quick-fix.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Whatever..... Sister city relationships are a waste of money & are a junkett for local councillors who otherwise couldnt make it to the perk ladden position of member of parliament.
Our local council has numerous sister city relationships with at least 6 other cities world wide (there are at least 6 other tragic areas on earth that means) & no economic benefit has come of it.
in this case, councillors would be mad to take a "fact finding tour' of Palestine but this smacks of idiocy to me.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
LOOK AT THE ROOT CAUSE
Right so we eliminate religion OK? Then the area which is currenltly the state of Israel and the Palestinian territories can become just some semi-desert craphole to everyone instead of just people who aren't Jewish, Christian or Islamic. Are you lining up to become the first muslim to convert to atheism?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts