SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13/00630/SCR | Screenig opinion for the outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 232 dwellings and associated landscaping, access and engineering works. | Eagle Helicopters Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN

Reference 13/00630/SCR
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Wed 18 Dec 2013
Address Eagle Helicopters Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN
Proposal Screenig opinion for the outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 232 dwellings and associated landscaping, access and engineering works.
Status Pending Consideration
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MY955JBS0DL00

Evidently the land is owned by British Gas PLC a hangover from the days when there was a gas works there.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
One assumes that there is some spectacular nastiness lurking under the surface.
Very likely NP. An old gas site they cleaned up in Kings Lynn took almost a year to remediate. The fact there was a tar works too didn't help, they often went hand in hand.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eagle Helicopters, Newcastle City Heliport, Skinnerburn Road

One assumes that there is some spectacular nastiness lurking under the surface.
Well one things for sure, its never been used for housing before - extensive industrial use over the years.

Couple of screen dumps from Google Earth showing current and back to 1945.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low Elswick Gas Works - Eagle Helicopters, Newcastle City Heliport, Skinnerburn Road

Very likely NP. An old gas site they cleaned up in Kings Lynn took almost a year to remediate. The fact there was a tar works too didn't help, they often went hand in hand.
This is from the Sine Project web site @ http://sine.ncl.ac.uk/view_structure_information.asp?struct_id=826

Structure Name: Low Elswick Gas Works

Description:
Gas Works used to produce town gas. Now demolished, although there were reports in the late 1980s that fragments of some walls survived.

Extant: No

Eastings: 423910m (view map)

Northings:
563060m (view map)

Position Accuracy: 100m

Positional Confidence: Absolute Certainty

Structure Types Identified: CHIMNEY, GAS HOLDER, GAS WORKS

Historical Background
Low Elswick Gas Works was begun in 1857 following the closure of two smaller works at Manors and Sandgate, to satisfy the increased demands of the Grainger-Dobson developments in Newcastle upon Tyne. Although the new works were substantial, there were still supply problems in parts of Newcastle, and many complaints about the smell from the site. The widespread introduction of electric lighting in the 1940s ushered in the closure of the Low Elswick works.

Chronology:

1857 - 1859 Low Elswick Gas Works constructed and opened.
1970s Works closed.
1980s Works demolished.

This image is on the Tanfield Railway Flickr Photostream and seems to suggest that this engine is from the Elswick Gas Works:

Elswick Gas Works Diesel
12.04.1969 - Photo by R. Lambeth

A view of the Gas Works from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection on Flickr:

044157: Elswick

Description : Overlooking Gasworks, Leather Works and Shipyards

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Nice pics :) If they were manufacturing gas from coal there was almost certainly some sort of tar works there too as it is pretty much a by product. It could be pretty bad under there. May well mean a substantial clean up prior to building.

Steve

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Low Elswick Gas Works - Eagle Helicopters, Newcastle City Heliport, Skinnerburn Road

Nice pics :) If they were manufacturing gas from coal there was almost certainly some sort of tar works there too as it is pretty much a by product. It could be pretty bad under there. May well mean a substantial clean up prior to building.

Steve
Of course the former Elswick Leadworks is adjacent and this is covered on the 'stalled' Calders Yard | Newcastle | Various - 4 Fl to 9 Fl | Approved project - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983200

So both plots are no doubt heavily polluted and will need some stripping back, especially if they are to become residential.

·
The Legend
13,197 Posts
I'm assuming this will mean we will lose the cities heliport.

It will also mean that it will make it more difficult to increase the capacity and possibly rebuilt the arena in future as well.

I'm all for housing but on this site it any development should be apart of a master plan that takes into account future use of the area.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eagle Helicopters, Newcastle City Heliport, Skinnerburn Road

13/00630/SCR | Screenig opinion for the outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 232 dwellings and associated landscaping, access and engineering works. | Eagle Helicopters Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN

Reference 13/00630/SCR
Application Received Wed 18 Dec 2013
Address Eagle Helicopters Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN
Proposal Screenig opinion for the outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 232 dwellings and associated landscaping, access and engineering works.
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MY955JBS0DL00

Evidently the land is owned by British Gas PLC a hangover from the days when there was a gas works there.
The City Planners have chosen not to give a Screening Opinion or Screening Direction a the applicant failed to provide an Environmental Statement - 14th January 2014.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The City Planners have chosen not to give a Screening Opinion or Screening Direction a the applicant failed to provide an Environmental Statement - 14th January 2014.
Steve, I've looked at the documentation, they have screened the application into the EIA regulations.

It will now be up to the developer to go through the EIA process to produce the required Environmental Statement. The council is encouraging the developer to request a Scoping Opinion to inform the ES.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Steve, I hope this correct , ref no 14/00112/sco received Thursday 13 Feb 2014/ validated13 Feb. 2014 outline application and also design and access statement along with the news of possible removal of gas holders on this and Calder site. looks promising and the site layout and design look ok.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
eagle helicopters site

Steve, I've looked at the documentation, they have screened the application into the EIA regulations.

It will now be up to the developer to go through the EIA process to produce the required Environmental Statement. The council is encouraging the developer to request a Scoping Opinion to inform the ES.
novonew
on Newcastle planning portal ref no 14/00112/sco
received Thursday 13 Feb. 2014

validated Thursday 13 Feb. 2014.
status pending . there are 5 documents and a design and access statement. hope this helps. I am new to this site and I am not sure how to post this info from the Newcastle planning portal so please feel free to do what is needed to post correctly. I hope this is ok

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

novonew
on Newcastle planning portal ref no 14/00112/sco
received Thursday 13 Feb. 2014

validated Thursday 13 Feb. 2014.
status pending . there are 5 documents and a design and access statement. hope this helps. I am new to this site and I am not sure how to post this info from the Newcastle planning portal so please feel free to do what is needed to post correctly. I hope this is ok
I would usually post in this way, it then gives a permanent record as to the proposed development and also to give a steer to where the Planning Application is on the NCC Portal. All a case of cut and paste:

14/00112/SCO | Scoping Opinion for outline proposals for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 232 dwellings and associated landscaping, access and engineering works | Eagle Helicopters Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN

Reference 14/00112/SCO
Application Received Thu 13 Feb 2014
Proposal Scoping Opinion for outline proposals for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 232 dwellings and associated landscaping, access and engineering works
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N1NHGBBS00900

As I say, just the way I would do this, not saying this is a requirement, but find that it offers the sufficient information.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
232 dwellings appears to be a little optimistic given the area available. I guess they have worked it out but seems a little high.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

232 dwellings appears to be a little optimistic given the area available. I guess they have worked it out but seems a little high.
Do you want to count them :)

This is the render from the Design & Access Statement, copyright Archial:

Image hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Ha! That makes sense now, thanks Steve. Also, does that mean the old leadworks building is coming down?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heliport Site | Newcastle | Various | Proposed

2014/1929/01/OUT | Outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 280 dwellings with associated landscaping and engineering works; and details of site access unreserved. | Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7A

Reference 2014/1929/01/OUT
Alternative Reference PP-03750208
Application Received Mon 08 Dec 2014
Application Validated Tue 23 Dec 2014
Address Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN
Proposal Outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 280 dwellings with associated landscaping and engineering works; and details of site access unreserved.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NG9WP6BSGNQ00

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
Newcastle Heliport - pictures showing as it was on 14/10/14

2014/1929/01/OUT | Outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 280 dwellings with associated landscaping and engineering works; and details of site access unreserved. | Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7A

Reference 2014/1929/01/OUT
Alternative Reference PP-03750208
Application Received Mon 08 Dec 2014
Application Validated Tue 23 Dec 2014
Address Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 7AN
Proposal Outline planning application for the demolition of existing structures and redevelopment for up to 280 dwellings with associated landscaping and engineering works; and details of site access unreserved.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NG9WP6BSGNQ00
These pictures by myself Tuesday 14/10/14 approx 1045 for the Newcastle City Heliport, off Railway St, Newcastle and run by Eagle Helicopters

Gates closed, looked a bit desolate when photographed - assume it does still operate?

Or is the north entrance where pictures taken from not the one that is used for public access

This screen print of Google Map image showing the area

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

See the Heliport as it was on 14October 2014 on post http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=118196686&postcount=169 from the "Ghost Signs" thread

KEN

1 - 20 of 66 Posts