SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member of this community and I hope this is the proper forum to post this. I am thinking of moving to a condo in the fall of this year and would like some opinions of condos and the areas they are in.

I currently live in Brevard County and have family in Orlando, Miami, Port St. Lucie and most of my friends are in Brevard. I travel weekly and do need to be near a major airport, either MCO, PBI or MIA. I think I have ruled out Ft. Lauderdale because even though I have family in Miami, it's an extra hour from my other relatives/friends. I've also ruled out Ft. Myers and Tampa because they are not as centrally located to family/friends.

I have narrowed my search to either West Palm, Orlando or Miami. The minimum I want is a 1 bedroom (plus den would be nice) 1 bathroom (1.5 baths would work) and a nice size living room (minimum 15 ft x 15 ft but I could live with less if I really lived the area/condo. A 1 car garage or 1 car enclosed parking space is important. A balcony is important, a water view not so important. I would like a newer condo, built within the last 5 years. I hope to retire in 10 years and really don't want to spend a fortune, maybe $300k-$400k if that is possible. I've lived in single family homes, apartments in the suburbs and a low-rise condo on the beach in Brevard and now would like to experience condo living in a city area.

Where should I start my search? There is so much information on here and that is great but sometimes it seems over daunting! Does anyone have opinions on the areas I've picked? Any links to condos that are fairly new or will be ready late November 2006?

Thanks for the help! I'm not sure this is the proper forum to ask this in, I don't yet understand how this website is organized. Will this also get replies from those in Miami, I notice there is a seperate forum just for Miami. If those in Miami won't see this post, should I also post on the Miami forum (I hesitate to do that because another forum I'm an active member on has a no-no rule against double posting :bash: ).

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i was pleasantly surprised with west palm when i visted.. i thought it was gonna be some podunk, rich-bitch neighborhood but it is a legitimate city with a downtown and nightlife, etc... its got everything you need, and its got some really nice suburbs to raise families in (wellington).. its got the diversity of so fla without the snobbyness.. if value is what you're looking for, i definitely would rule out miami.. orlando is getting expensive too, roughly the same price as west palm.. but at least west palm is an afternoon drive away from all that miami offers, withou all the crap of having to live there

·
Deaf and dumb
299 Posts
I can't help you with individual condo projects, but as for the cities you listed, I would personally chose West Palm. Orlando is far too sprawly and is landlocked, while Miami is very expensive and the crime rate is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Based on what you've said, I'd go with West Palm as well. There quite a few new condos going up downtown to choose from.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you don't venture into the bad areas, the crime rate in Miami isn't bad at all. Look at the crime statistics of Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Aventura...

You just don't go into places you have no business going to, and you'll be fine. Most of the serious crimes like murders are primarily drug, gang, or domestic violence related with people who knew each other. It's very rare that a murder is totally random. Also Miami isn't even the murder capital of the state. That honor goes to Jacksonville.

Here's the story on that.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/8754404/detail.html

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yep. Jax normally leads the state in number murders, that's nothing new, although we have 50 right now, compared to 26, at the same date a year ago. If you want to stay alive here, stay out of the drug trade and domestic disputes.

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
LuvHighrisers said:
Get your family to move to Tampa that way you won't have to settle for second best!
LOL...... absofrogginlutely! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts