Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://connectingclarendonpark.com/

There are tons of nimbies in Uptown as well.
What do you guys think of this project?
Please show your support if you like it.
I think this area of the city desperately needs
investment and skyscrapers!

Tons of nimbies on Uptown Update

·
The City
5,935 Posts
^ Nah.

I say let Uptown NIMBY's have what they wish. If they want to oppose the arrival of hundreds of market rate individuals/families into their neighborhood which would improve their property values and support local businesses, then let them reap what they sow.

They can have their crime and gang-bangers and their section 8 housing, but they really better stop complaining about it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I think is funny is that the Nimbies
couldnt stop Wilson Yard a senior/lowincome density
that is alarming. That was a worthwhile project to stop
and they couldnt. Now they want to stop market rate housing?
That is ridiculous.
Some people are just up in arms with TIFS for some reason.

I for one did sign up for it because I have to pickup
my son every week in Uptown and I want it to be safe there.
There are alot of good people in Uptown who do want
things to get better and you also have alot of
super liberal nuts who cant make up their mind what
they want and ofcourse alof of people who just want
the status quo. I voted for it because the violence does
spillover to other parts of the City.
I always root for the underdog too.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ While we all hate NIMBY's and, yes, they do often get what they want....trust me....developers are not the underdog in Chicago.
Uptown was the entity I was referring to as the underdog.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Predictable, but Uptown Update picked up on this thread and isn't very happy.

I'm with TUP on this one. Most of the people who live there (the most vocal ones, at least) deserve what they get. They have three huge musical venues bookended by two CTA stations and they're unable to do anything with it. One of the most successful realtors in Chicago spent money to beautifully rehab an Uptown building and it still sits vacant, the Borders across the street is about to die at any moment, and places like Wild Pug that symbolized a potential shift in fortunes are gone. Who knows how these people will react when the insurance company (which moved its workers downtown) building on Broadway is redeveloped. Or what bad leaders they'll elect next. I'd write-off Uptown for at least another 10-15 years.

Better to focus on infill projects in Lakeview or Lincoln Park. Or the greater possibilities for density in Edgewater or Rogers Park.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As someone originally from Uptown and persona non grata at Uptown Update, my theory about these people is that some of them thought that they were going to make a killing buying distressed real estate and are bitter because it hasn't worked out the way they planned. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people who could afford to live in better neighborhoods but move into a slum and expect the city to suddenly move heaven and earth to change an entrenched situation.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As someone originally from Uptown and persona non grata at Uptown Update, my theory about these people is that some of them thought that they were going to make a killing buying distressed real estate and are bitter because it hasn't worked out the way they planned. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people who could afford to live in better neighborhoods but move into a slum and expect the city to suddenly move heaven and earth to change an entrenched situation.
Understandable. But....
To try to keep Uptown a shooting gallery
with drugs and bullets flying all over would be stupid
for the Entire City. Uptown was a premier neigborhood
of Chicago and I think it will be again.
And to have that happend the Uptown theatre
has to restored, (100million job).

Change is in the air. If you follow Uptown Update
you can see that the public just wont stand for the current situation and why should they?

I know some people really messed up and bought for way too much, sure. I see Uptown continuing to improve.
Bullets or No. Its interesting because its
an unstoppable force versus an unmoveable object,
(gentrification versus cha/section8/lowincome housing).

·
Registered
229 Posts
The NIMBYs have real reason for concern... however, as I have said before, I think they would be better off putting their effort and resources towards ensuring a higher quality product being developed within their community instead of blocking it entirely. The design of Lakeview Station as it stands sucks, plain and simple. But aside from aesthetics and the destructive "city block podium", it will bring a large number of quality units into Uptown and will draw a lot more attention to the area. Which, compared to shots fired, boarded up buildings and Wilson Yards is like a gift from god.

Besides Uptown NIMBYs transforming this blah project into something better, the best thing the neighborhood has going for it is the Aldermanic election in 45 days.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^ Nah.

I say let Uptown NIMBY's have what they wish. If they want to oppose the arrival of hundreds of market rate individuals/families into their neighborhood which would improve their property values and support local businesses, then let them reap what they sow.

They can have their crime and gang-bangers and their section 8 housing, but they really better stop complaining about it.
While I completely agree that current residents can benefit from bringing in market-rate residents and the economic revitalization that would follow...they certainly do have a valid concern of being priced out of their neighborhood (both the current residents and current businesses have a valid concern here). Why would they want to live there? Several reasons: it's probably one of few low-income areas that are very well-served by public transit, and is within relatively short commuting distance of jobs.

This project can either go right or wrong, and Chicago doesn't exactly have a perfect reputation for gentrification projects that are inclusive and economically diverse, although the city has learned a lesson or two in more recent years.

The NIMBYs have real reason for concern... however, as I have said before, I think they would be better off putting their effort and resources towards ensuring a higher quality product being developed within their community instead of blocking it entirely.
Totally agree. And part of the better quality that they should be demanding is mixed-unit developments, which include both larger, more expensive units, as well as small, affordable units.

There needs to be a balance between attracting market-rate residents, and making sure that current residents can stay and benefit from the new neighborhood. I really do think that many gentrifying areas of Chicago still have low enough density that you can keep the current residents while attracting newer ones as well. Take for example the Little Italy/Taylor Street/UIC area, parts of which are dense with renovated [and presumably market-rate] 19th-century/early-20th homes, but there's also the empty lot eyesores here and there.

The design of Lakeview Station as it stands sucks, plain and simple. But aside from aesthetics and the destructive "city block podium", it will bring a large number of quality units into Uptown and will draw a lot more attention to the area.
Well, the podium has its commercial purpose obviously, and it is quite street-friendly. But I'm with you on a podium taking up the entire block; I'm not too crazy about it either (if I'm understanding you correctly). Such block-podiums can look a bit Disney-ish/suburban-fake.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Uptown should of been the Midtown (NYC) of Chicago. It is a shame to see such great structures rotting up there and having a neighborhood like that one in Chicago staying so stagnant.

Obviously I cannot comment on the people that are deciding what is and isn't going on in Uptown or why there are NIMBYs against any changes to that area because I don't live in Chicago and have only had outside observations of that neighborhood. But it still falls into an interesting "what if?" category that I am curious if it will ever have a chance to be something like Midtown.

Oh and to be fair, isn't Borders struggling as a company? I know they closed down the downtown Borders here in Portland, and I thought I remember reading something that was talking about Borders and most bookstores in general being hurt by Kindle and Amazon.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uptown should of been the Midtown (NYC) of Chicago. It is a shame to see such great structures rotting up there and having a neighborhood like that one in Chicago staying so stagnant.

Obviously I cannot comment on the people that are deciding what is and isn't going on in Uptown or why there are NIMBYs against any changes to that area because I don't live in Chicago and have only had outside observations of that neighborhood. But it still falls into an interesting "what if?" category that I am curious if it will ever have a chance to be something like Midtown.

Oh and to be fair, isn't Borders struggling as a company? I know they closed down the downtown Borders here in Portland, and I thought I remember reading something that was talking about Borders and most bookstores in general being hurt by Kindle and Amazon.

I agree that Uptown should be Chicago's Midtown.
The Broadway Bank Building is awesome.
And you have the Old Aon or Combined Insurances of America
office building on Broadway, which unfortunately looks like it
will be a senior building.

Right now its the Social Services/Drug/Psych/Senior/Homeless
center for Chicago, will some cool night clubs and bars
and venues as well. Still has alot of potential.
Wilson Yard was a step in the wrong direction.
Imagine if that instead of being Senior Housing,
was an office building? That wouldve helped so much more.
For some reason in Chicago all the commercial office buildings
are all squished into downtown. Boring.....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I think the comparison with NYC's Midtown is apples to oranges; Midtown is a very large CBD, larger than the Loop, and it's been largely destroyed with post-WWII developments.

But I completely agree with you that this area has a lot of potential as a sort of mini-CBD with density, and can serve as one of the city's premier commercial and entertainment spots, and can also serve as as a major center of jobs outside of downtown. I'd rather work in an office building in a revitalized Uptown, than in the Loop.

I completely agree on all the beautiful buildings in the area.

Again, I do think the NIMBYs have valid concerns. I do not think that these concerns should stop investment and market-rate housing in the district, but the city and developers should find a away to invest in the area, bring in market-rate housing and commercial developments, while also addressing the NIMBY concerns, so that current residents and businesses are able to stay and benefit from a revitalized district.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think the comparison with NYC's Midtown is apples to oranges; Midtown is a very large CBD, larger than the Loop, and it's been largely destroyed with post-WWII developments.

But I completely agree with you that this area has a lot of potential as a sort of mini-CBD with density, and can serve as one of the city's premier commercial and entertainment spots, and can also serve as as a major center of jobs outside of downtown. I'd rather work in an office building in a revitalized Uptown, than in the Loop.

I completely agree on all the beautiful buildings in the area.

Again, I do think the NIMBYs have valid concerns. I do not think that these concerns should stop investment and market-rate housing in the district, but the city and developers should find a away to invest in the area, bring in market-rate housing and commercial developments, while also addressing the NIMBY concerns, so that current residents and businesses are able to stay and benefit from a revitalized district.
I didn't mean it in the sense of a direct connection, but more so in the sense of the history behind Uptown and the direction it was heading at one point. Before being stopped by the depression and the outward migration from the area, if the area would of had an iconic office tower, something Chrysler or ESB style building built in that area or even a Mies tower, it could be a completely different story today.

But even still, the bones are still there to turn Uptown into something great for the city and could make for a great commercial area for the northern end of the city.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.