Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Helsinki clearly is the most underrepresented city here on ssc I though a thread of this kind would be welcomed. I´ve been taking pics from all over the city, mostly in the city cenrte though.

The thread will be updated with new pics atleast twice a week.

Please comment and ask if there´s anything you´re wondering! Enjoy! :cheers:

End of part 1.

·
39,909 Posts
Just got back from there last week. Helsinki is simply gorgeous, a fairy tale land. It was block after block of beautiful buildings, picture post card vistas, and charm. Highly under rated city.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your kind comments! :)

Just got back from there last week. Helsinki is simply gorgeous, a fairy tale land. It was block after block of beautiful buildings, picture post card vistas, and charm. Highly under rated city.
I´m really glad you liked it. Helsinki does have its dodgy bits (like all cities do), but overall it´s really a charming city.

·
Gotta lite?
6,078 Posts
Great to see this thread, we have three like this now on SSC :O) I'll keep a subscription on this and have weekly "walks" around Helsinki.

By the way, there is a bit of a yellow colour cast to your photo's. You don't have a Sigma lens do you?

·
Gotta lite?
6,078 Posts
Hmmm, there shouldn't be that much yellow colour cast then as the S3 generally has pretty good colour reproduction. I'd check your white balance is on auto, "My Colors" is set to off and if you can switch off the "special scene mode" then take a few test shots.

Of course, ignore me if you prefer the colours like this ;O) I don't want to step on your creativity here. But I thought I'd make a couple of suggestions as the yellow is very strong in these pictures. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, there shouldn't be that much yellow colour cast then as the S3 generally has pretty good colour reproduction. I'd check your white balance is on auto, "My Colors" is set to off and if you can switch off the "special scene mode" then take a few test shots.

Of course, ignore me if you prefer the colours like this ;O) I don't want to step on your creativity here. But I thought I'd make a couple of suggestions as the yellow is very strong in these pictures. :cheers:
Don´t worry, creative feedback is always welcome. I usually don´t play around with the settings that much (I´m too lazy). As long as the pictures turn out sharp and not too light or dark I´m happy. Actually, I did adjust the exposure to 1 o whatever from the menu since the weather was rather weird and I therefore found it helpful.

Thanks again for your replies :cheers:

·
39,909 Posts
Thanks for your kind comments! :)

I´m really glad you liked it. Helsinki does have its dodgy bits (like all cities do), but overall it´s really a charming city.
I'm sure Helsinki does have its unpleasant bits, but I didn't find any. It may also depend on what you're used to. Here in Toronto you can walk from spectacularly beautiful to a chaotic pile of hideousness in 2 blocks. The chaos, unpredictability, and sensory overload is its charm. Helsinki didn't seem like that. To my eyes, Helsinki and the rest of Finland looked quite close to perfection architecturally. I didn't suddenly stumble upon something ugly.

I'll be back soon. I'm Finnish on my mother's side so have a connection to your country. I miss the Esplandi! :(

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Daughter of the Baltic

Helsinki is my favorite European city. Clean enought to eat off the streets! And stunning architecture--old and new. Would consider spending serious time there but for the cold, dark winters. Summer is great, though.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts