SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plans to build a Dollywood in Roanoke Rapids, NC. Right off of Interstate 95. I heard about it on WRAL about three weeks ago. I really don't think that would be the best place to build it though. I think they should build it in Wilson or Johnston counties. If they build it in Johnston county the theme park would be off of I-95 and I-40.(also highway 70) The area is also more populated. Still, it will be kind of cool, even if it is in "stinky" Roanoke Rapids.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The other interesting point is that this area will gain between 2500 and 5000 jobs from this project. There are also plans for an automotive testing facility for this area that is projected to bring between 2000 and 5000 jobs for a combined total of near 5000 to 10000 jobs. A testing facility like this one opened in another part of the US and lead to job growth of over 10000 jobs from peripheral companies looking to be close to this facilty. Roanoke Rapids will be an area, once plagued by heavy manufacturing job loss, to be watched very closely.

·
Registered
140 Posts
well if they're going to have all these visitors they need to do something about the awful stench from all the pulp/paper mills. I'm sure no one wants to be at an open air shop when the open-air smells funky.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"well if they're going to have all these visitors they need to do something about the awful stench from all the pulp/paper mills. I'm sure no one wants to be at an open air shop when the open-air smells funky."

ROTFL

Thats why I called it "stinky" Roanoke Rapids. The way it smells driving through that city I can't imagine a theme park being near by. Guess it all depends exactly where they are talking about. Maybe they will build it a little further south of the stench. (closer to Nash county) hopefully. :)

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
That looks like a great plan :eek:kay: I read a little bit about it in the link provided and I must say I am impressed with the economic impact of that project. I hope it happens and brings that area much needed employment opportunities. Thanks for sharing this piece of news with us!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts