Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the City Councils web site @ http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/news-story/city-gems-open-heritage-open-days

Published date:
Wed, 29/08/2012 - 10:57

Some of Newcastle’s most loved and impressive buildings will be unveiling their secrets when they open for the national Heritage Open Days next week.

Heritage Open Days runs from Thursday, 6 to Sunday, 9 September and will include the chance to see inside a former air-raid shelter, graveyard and the one of the city’s major museums.

Some of those highlighted in this year’s programme include a visit to Jesmond Old Cemetery on Sunday, 9 September from 2.30pm, where visitors can walk around the 19th century private cemetery where some of Newcastle’s prominent personalities are buried.

Fans of the theatre can take a peak back stage at the Jubilee Theatre at St Nicholas’s Hospital in Gosforth on Saturday, 8 September from 11am where they can see a wonderful example of a Victorian proscenium arch theatre, completed in 1899 by John W Dyson. Visitors will also learn that Laurel and Hardy once performed there.

Newcastle’s importance to the Second World War will be brought to light through a festival for all the family which takes place on Saturday, 8 September from 12 noon at Blakelaw Park. This festival will pay tribute to the World War Two heritage of the city and visitors will be invited to watch a Lindy-Hop workshop. You will also find out what life was like during the War by talking to a former member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force.

The Second World War was also plays a role in the history of the Victoria Tunnel which will have guided tours throughout the four-day event. You can learn about its time as a coal wagon-way in 1842 to being used as an air-raid shelter in World War Two. To book your place, email [email protected].

Some of the city’s civic building will also be open and include the Civic Centre throughout the weekend from Thursday, 6 September where you can see the Banqueting Suite and Lord Mayor’s Silver Gallery.

You can also see what goes on behind the scenes at Newcastle City Hall on Saturday, 8 and Sunday, 9 September at 10.30am and 2pm.

Cllr Gerald Bell, Newcastle City Council’s Deputy Cabinet Member for Culture and Leisure, said: “Newcastle has many historic landmarks which have been the backdrop to some of our city’s most important occasions and events like Heritage Open Days give us the chance to take a peak behind these doors. This is a perfect opportunity to learn more about the city’s history and talk to some of the people who know these venues so well.”

For more information about these and the other events in Newcastle over this year’s Heritage Open Days go to www.twhods.org.uk.

·
Super Moderator
22,806 Posts
Thanks Steve, these 'Heritage Open Days threads' produce so much historical information (of the type that this Forum is now justifiably famous for around SSC and beyond) and is great for when people can't always get out to places.

Here (extract from Index Thread) are the LINKS to previous years information . . .

HERITAGE OPEN DAYS . . .

Heritage Open Days - 2010 (Annual Tyne & Wear Heritage Open Days)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=62388507&postcount=1126
Heritage Open Days - 2011 (Historical Discussion Thread)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1440156
Heritage Open Days - 2012 (Historical Discussion Thread)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1532720

·
Part Time Contributor
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I must be getting old as my Saturday visits were restricted to the Castle Keep, Miners Institute and Jesmond Parish Church.

Tomorrow is a walk around the Town Walls and hopefully All Saints in the morning.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Went to a lecture on the development of Victorian Ashbrooke at Sunderland Central Library yesterday, then a visit to see the interior of the Dun Cow, an unspoiled and lavishly decorated early Edwardian pub near the Empire Theatre, designed by B F Simpson.

That bit wasn't part of Heritage Open Days, mind.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All Saints Church - Heritage Open Days

For the second year in a row All Saints Church was advertised as open for the Heritage Open Days - however the many visitors that turned up found it very much closed. Double disappointment!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Bede's World

Only able to get to one event at Bede's World yesterday and it was the first time I had visited it.

A really great well presented exhibition with lots of information about Bede in the 7th Century.

The Anglo-Saxon village was very well done.

I never knew that Gyrwe (Jarrow) was on the river Don which runs into the Tyne.

A short walk to St Paul's Church and Monastery

A candidate World Heritage site, although their bid was rejected I think last year. Will have to find out again why they were unsuccessful?

It overlooks Jarrow Slake or an old map from the 1800's has it as Jarrow's Lake.

Nissan car loading dock is next door.

Must go again soon to the upstairs Bede exhibition.

So much to see. Well worth a look!

NB

I have since added a link to the World Heritage Site which the reason for not awarding status was that the inspectors didn't feel it had the significance that St Paul's/St Peter's were claiming.

http://www.wearmouth-jarrow.org.uk/news/2012/07/17/wearmouth-jarrow-nomination-update-and-faqs

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
All Saints church deserves better tenants if they are able to open for mass then they can open for one day a year. Whats the deal here, does the Church of England rent it out to them?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All Saints church deserves better tenants if they are able to open for mass then they can open for one day a year. Whats the deal here, does the Church of England rent it out to them?
Yes I did think it was a lame excuse given that their parishioners enter the church on a Sunday - even if it was limited access it would have been better than nothing.

My understanding is that the church is the property of Newcastle City Council.

I was surprised that despite ongoing works (allegedly) there hasn't been a Planning Application on the Planning Portal - it is a Grade Listed 1 Building after all?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts