·
Banned
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Arena mall in Herzliya marina is getting a second redesign
This time a unique experiment by Foster & partners:

1. Taking off the entire roof
2. Creating 6 pedestrian streets,
A type of pedestrian street-mall like Mamilla mall in Jerusalem with 6 alleys connecting through it to the marina.

Herzliya LPC has approved the plan without adding sqm for the 45,000 sqm mall.
The new owners also plan to turn some stores and open empty spaces into co-work office spaces.

Arena mall already went through a huge 70 million shekel makeover in 2008 by the previous owners.

קניון ארנה בהרצליה קיבל אישור להסיר את הגג

הוועדה המקומית לתכנון ובנייה הרצליה, החליטה השבוע להפקיד להתנגדויות את התוכנית החדשה לקניון ארנה
שהגישה קרן ריאליטי, בעלת הקניון. כך נודע ל"גלובס". התוכנית שאושרה כוללת בין היתר פתיחה של הקניון אל
הסביבה, הסרת הגג המקורה והסבת המבנה מקניון סגור לשישה רחובות מסחריים פתוחים, בדומה לקניון ממילא בירושלים.

http://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1001220163

Arena Mall

·
9,589 Posts
Yeah I just read it and wanted to post.
You beat me to it :)
So whats the big idea?
How is roof removal going to help the mall?
If they want to make the mall more accessible from the street, wouldn't it be better to remove walls, rather then roof?
Or maybe at least add more entrances?

·
arctic tern
3,336 Posts
Yeah I just read it and wanted to post.
You beat me to it :)
So whats the big idea?
How is roof removal going to help the mall?
If they want to make the mall more accessible from the street, wouldn't it be better to remove walls, rather then roof?
Or maybe at least add more entrances?
It seems like they want to turn the stores into offices, so removing the roof will enable them to turn some walls into windows.

·
9,589 Posts
Not sure I understand how this is related.
How removing the roof will enable them to turn walls into windows?

Also, did they get permits to change the usage?
And last, but not the least, isn't converting mall spaces into offices usually a sign of the mall being a commercial failure?

·
arctic tern
3,336 Posts
Not sure I understand how this is related.
How removing the roof will enable them to turn walls into windows?

Also, did they get permits to change the usage?
And last, but not the least, isn't converting mall spaces into offices usually a sign of the mall being a commercial failure?
Do you prefer your office to face an empty hallway with fluorescent lights or an open square with sunlight?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Maybe they just want to save some money by not using air conditioning on large spaces?
Besides, in a hot day the visitors will be more tempted to enter a shop just to cool down. :)

·
4,746 Posts
I think there are a lot of advantages for this specific mall to be open. It's not just about the offices.

For one, there is no free parking in the immediate area, but lots of free parking some ~300 m to the south, an area which also happens to be more walkable. If people come walking to the mall area because they want to enjoy the beach, there's no reason to go into the mall when they have much more interesting stuff visible from the outside on the promenade.

A second reason is that most people come to the area on Shabbat, and there are like 1–2 businesses open in the mall, but most people don't know this. At the very least, those businesses would greatly benefit from being directly visible from the outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts