Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleveland Browns Stadium. No corporate sponsership and no corporate $$$ to the team.

How in the heck did you pull that one off? And wouldn't it be nice if the rest of us could do it, too.

(Note: our Chicago Bears were forbidden to change the name of Soldier Field by legislation when the new stadium replaced the old. The idea was to keep honoring the servicemen, so our cirumstances were different from yours))

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Cleveland Browns Stadium. No corporate sponsership and no corporate $$$ to the team.

How in the heck did you pull that one off? And wouldn't it be nice if the rest of us could do it, too.

(Note: our Chicago Bears were forbidden to change the name of Soldier Field by legislation when the new stadium replaced the old. The idea was to keep honoring the servicemen, so our cirumstances were different from yours))
Ummmm we still have Lambeau Field ya know.....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Some of the naming rights of the entrance gates have been sold, but the city (Which owns the building) decided not to sell the rights when it built the stadium basically.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Up until the newest stadiums were built, Detroit didn't have a single stadium that was corporately named:

Tiger Stadium
Pontiac Silverdome
Palace of Auburn Hills
Joe Louis Arena
Cobo Arena

Ford Field isn't that bad, because you could say it was named after an important man in Detroit's history, but Comerica Park is tacky, especially since they decided to abandon the city only a few years after they named the park. I hope that when the renewal comes up, the Tigers have the balls to kick Comerica out of the park...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Same with Jacobs Field, right?
Jacobs Field is named after Dick Jacobs the previous owner of the Indians and also head of The Jacobs group a real estate developement company. So Technically it wasn't corporation free. As of now the new owners are looking for someone to sell the naming rights to.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the naming rights of the entrance gates have been sold, but the city (Which owns the building) decided not to sell the rights when it built the stadium basically.
naming the entrance gates instead of the stadium? your city deserves a medal on that one. i can't imagine a better win/win situation. nobody gives a shit about gate names, but they do about the ball park name.

Cleveland is a genius city. Is CWRU the new Harvard?

·
Registered
679 Posts
That's how it is at Lambeau Field too. The lobby and other various entrances are sponsored by miller, sargento and a few others.

Technically, while Miller Park is obviously named so because Miller Brewing paid for the naming rights, the founder of Miller Brewing, Frederick Miller is a prominent figure in Milwaukee's history. So, it's kinda like Ford Field with that because while it is now a company, it is a company named after a citizen.

Milwaukee's Bradley Center is named after the family who paid for its construction in the 1980's. So no naming rights there, although I wouldn't be completely surprised if that didn't change when they remodel.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Up until Gund Arena became Quicken Loans arena (Fall 2005) Cleveland had no Corporate named sporting venues.
the "Q" is just about as bad as Indy's new "Lucas Oil Stadium", something that says absolutely nothing about Indianapolis, IMHO. At least we have managed to keep our find minor league ballpark free of corporate monikers - Victory Field.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
unfortunately chicago has US cell-out to corporate greed.
I dont think the corporate naming of stadiums is all that bad...US Cellular Field (the cell) underwent a massive face lift by selling the naming rights. If the park was still called Comiskey, none of the improvements would have taken place.
The way I see it, is that its just a name. Most of our skyscrapers are named after corporations anyway (Sears, Aon, etc...)

·
Registered
408 Posts
the "Q" is just about as bad as Indy's new "Lucas Oil Stadium", something that says absolutely nothing about Indianapolis, IMHO. At least we have managed to keep our find minor league ballpark free of corporate monikers - Victory Field.

Same in Cleveland. The Akron Aeros' stadium Canal Park is free of Corporate branding. The other one where the Lake County Captains play originally opened as Eastlake Stadium, but the city couldn't afford the stadium payments, so to help pay for it they renamed it Classic Park, after a chain of local Car dealerships.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I dont think the corporate naming of stadiums is all that bad...US Cellular Field (the cell) underwent a massive face lift by selling the naming rights. If the park was still called Comiskey, none of the improvements would have taken place.
The way I see it, is that its just a name. Most of our skyscrapers are named after corporations anyway (Sears, Aon, etc...)
Well the corporations built those skyscrapers. As I recall, the good citizens of Illinois built new Comiskey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts