SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
34,327 Posts
I went grocery shopping today... and they only let so many people in at a time. Most people were very good at the social distancing. A few were entirely caught up with
themselves and cut in front of people, etc..
I've been wondering about that. I've been in self isolation since I returned to Canada so I have no idea how busy the sidewalks and grocery stores are. It's good to hear that the grocery store was controlling numbers. Were you in the Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens? I'm not surprised that some were behaving recklessly though. There will always be self absorbed people living in their own little world, those who don't get it, and/or don't care. You run into them many times every day all year long.

It's especially noticeable if you drive. They'll be in front of you then come to a complete stop on the road, then put their hazard lights on. They think it's ok to take out an entire lane of road and park as long as their lights are blinking. People can be astonishingly rude and selfish.

·
34,327 Posts
All transit rides are free and on the bus, there is social distancing seating arrangement.
by Hung Lam, on Flickr
IMG_1160 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
by Hung Lam, on Flickr
That's not good enough though. There isn't 2m between seated passengers. They needed to take every other row of seating out completely and have passengers sit by the window only so when people walk down the aisle they're not walking right next to people.

Often the intention is good but the execution falls far short. If they're not able to do this properly they need to shut their buses down completely. It's stuff like this that will keep the pandemic going on for a very long time.

It's not surprising when you see a few random people behaving recklessly but when a transit authority doesn't get it one just has to shake your head in frustration.

·
Administrator
76,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been wondering about that. I've been in self isolation since I returned to Canada so I have no idea how busy the sidewalks and grocery stores are. It's good to hear that the grocery store was controlling numbers. Were you in the Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens? I'm not surprised that some were behaving recklessly though. There will always be self absorbed people living in their own little world, those who don't get it, and/or don't care. You run into them many times every day all year long.

It's especially noticeable if you drive. They'll be in front of you then come to a complete stop on the road, then put their hazard lights on. They think it's ok to take out an entire lane of road and park as long as their lights are blinking. People can be astonishingly rude and selfish.
I've found I'm preferring Metro at College Park. Great selection and fully stocked. In awhile I'll go back to Loblaws, but the first week or so I got depressed seeing their
empty shelves... I'm sure by now they will have stocked up again.

·
34,327 Posts
Ok, thanks. I'm hoping to buy enough so I don't have to go back for a while so trying to find something with parking. Undecided at this point but thank you for the information.

·
Administrator
83,107 Posts
The streets are so quiet with only few people that I believe spending time out side is actually pretty safe.

·
34,327 Posts
Well it's also about limiting transmission. You may be a carrier but asymptomatic. If you've been outside your home in the last 14 days you just don't know if you are or not. Such a person can contaminate any surface they come into contact with. The problem arises if someone else touches that same surface. So yes, the streets may be empty but that doesn't make it a good idea unless you're doing your emergency once a week grocery shop/medication pick up.

·
Administrator
76,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We must do the best we can, and utilize science. If we do go out we must practice social distancing. Wear disposable gloves when touching groceries and wipe them down when you get home. And wash wash wash the hands while making sure you don't touch your face when you are outside. We simply must do our very best, and unfortunately there are a LOT of people who have NOT been doing this. These are the City of Toronto's latest recommendations and I think they are good; they are basically what I have been doing for the past couple of weeks; I do not live in a big suburban home with closets, cupboards, chest freezer, etc.. and have limited storage space, so I cannot store an entire week's of groceries in my kitchen, so I must go to a store at least twice. Also, there is no way I could physically carry home an entire week's worth of groceries at one go, but I do my very best:

"The City's new social distancing recommendations are as follows.
  • Anyone who is not ill or has not travelled is strongly directed to stay home except for the following reasons:
    • accessing healthcare or medication
    • shop for groceries once per week
    • walk their dogs
    - get daily exercise while maintaining physical distancing of at least two metres
  • People returning from international travel must stay home (already a federal order)
  • Anyone over the age of 70, as the province announced this week, is strongly encouraged to stay home as much as possible
  • Increased supports for self-isolation for those experiencing homelessness
  • Only essential businesses remain open, and those businesses maximize physical"
  • distancing and infection prevention and control practices, and limit in-person access to those businesses, as much as possible
  • Increased cleaning and active screening of employees at all businesses

·
34,327 Posts
I'll add that if you wear gloves while doing your grocery shop there are a couple points you need to keep in mind.

1. Epidemiologists say that the virus may stick to gloves even better than it sticks to human skin. They only work if your refrain 100% from touching your eyes, nose, mouth the ENTIRE time you're wearing them.

2. You also have to be very careful taking them off. Pull them off so that they turn inside out when you do it. Put in the garbage. Once again do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth. Follow strict WHO protocol for hand washing. Disinfect the tap and EVERY surface you've touched since you got back home. Be careful not to re-contaminate your hands while doing this step.

Yes, it's a lot but it may end up being the difference between staying safe and getting sick.

·
Administrator
76,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice. We have to assume everything is covered with fresh sprays of saliva and treat it as such. In reality we do not know if someone sneezes on a can whether there will be enough virus on it after 3 hours or a day or a week to actually give another person Covid 19, but we have to treat them as if it is possible.
Many supermarkets have big containers of hand sanitizer at the front of the store, and people seem to be using it. Canadian tire had portable hand washing sinks by their doors.

·
Administrator
83,107 Posts
I don`t use their shopping buggies and baskets anymore, instead I put the items straight to my shopping bags, I also wear the regular gloves when I need to pull the doors open and only use credit card to pay. When I got home I put the gloves, cloths, scarf, hat and even the fabric shopping bags straight to the washer. Since I always wear hat, I don`t need to shower after the shopping.

·
34,327 Posts
I'm increasingly disappointed with Trudeau in his daily addresses to the nation. I'm no fan of Doug Ford, but the level of transparency is night and day between the 2. Ford has performed much much better. With Trudeau, half the time he doesn't really answer the question/skirts around the question and I find myself continually having to read through the lines to get the actual answer.

Getting a proper answer out of him is next to impossible. We have a right to know and I don't take kindly to him sitting on information and not answering questions properly. I didn't want to but I've given up and now listen to Doug Ford announcements, NY Governor Cuomo announcements, etc. instead.

People aren't stupid. They know when they're being told half truths, deceived, left in the dark, etc.

·
34,327 Posts
Can you imagine if the US election gets canceled due to COVID -19 and Trump gets to stay another term?

·
34,327 Posts
Ironic considering the materials used to make those 3M masks are imported from....... drum roll please, CANADA.

Canada PM Says Will Not Retaliate Against U.S. Over Block of Mask Exports

WINNIPEG, Manitoba — "We are not looking at retaliatory measures or measures that are punitive," he said in his daily address in Ottawa. Some Canadian health professionals living along the U.S. border work at U.S. hospitals, and Trudeau said Canada was making no move to stop that practice.

·
34,327 Posts
A relationship can only withstand so many body blows. Messaging coming out of Ontario suggests this is the straw that broke the camel's back. People/government are reeling/fuming over this latest Trump move. It's hard to see how Canada's relationship with the US can recover from this. People aren't going to forget this one ever.

You can tell he's trying to be as diplomatic as possible but the messaging is clear: Never Again.

·
34,327 Posts
Wow.. it has bowled over everyone. Stopping shipments ordered from Canada; really makes you reconsider the concept of "free trade".
The US doesn't get the concept of free trade. They believe in it when they benefit from it and disregard it whenever things work in our favour. They wield a big stick and use it to full effect. So where does that leave us?

There are all kinds of products we no longer make in Canada but perhaps this will be our wake up call. When factories close and production shifts to foreign countries it leaves us strategically vulnerable not to mention all the know how that disappears in the process. Over the last few decades there has been a huge decrease the amount and types of domestically made products. It's now come back to haunt us. We're far too reliant on foreign countries for important products and technologies.

When all this is over, industrial strategy needs to change. Certain products need to be deemed essential to national security, in domestic hands, and made here. There's also the issue of parts and materials to make those products. We need to make most of those things too or at least have the capability to make them if need be.

Side note: We'd be amiss if we didn't mention that 3M has been caught in the middle of all this. They balked at Trump's request saying that they have an obligation to health care workers they supply and it shouldn't matter what side of the border they're on.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts