SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was just wondering why Floridas 5th largest city still hasnt had the development the rest of floridas large citys are expierencing?
I was wondering if any of you know anything about this. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's kind of like Hyundai... can be nice, generally a good value for the money... but absolutely, positively no prestige. None. Nada. Nil.

Also, until very recently, the roads in and out utterly sucked. It might has well have been a peninsula... Liberty City (to the east, on the Wrong Side of the Railroad Tracks) was too dangerous for anyone sane to drive through, there were no good bridges over the river to speak of, the 2 or 3 that did exist were wacky, weird, and all majorly crippled in some (usually intentional) way, and all the roads to the south (near downtown Hialeah) converged in a single clusterf**k chokepoint at LeJeune Road + 36st + Okeechobee Rd + S. River Drive + SR112 that was dysfunctional to the point of making Lagos, Nigeria look like a shining example of efficient traffic planning. The only REAL escape route was the Palmetto... and the Palmetto & all the roads running to and alongside of it were only slightly less dysfunctional than the interchange at LeJeune Road.

That said, I think Hialeah is in an excellent position to become Miami's next boomtown. It's not rich... but it's not really poor, either. Compared to Wynwood, Edgewater, and the rest of the Upper Eastside about 5 years ago, Hialeah is Coral Gables by comparison. The only reason most of Hialeah's single-family neighborhoods haven't seen much wholesale demolition is because they're mostly owner-occupied, and most of the homes there have been continuously (but, ahem, "unofficially") enlarged over the past 20 years anyway. Wait for a hurricane to lay waste to Hialeah and the insurance checks to start coming in, and watch the city's single-family neighborhoods mansionize into Pinecrest overnight.

If I had the cash, I'd buy as much property by Hialeah Metrorail Station, and on/adjacent to LeJeune Road, as I could. In another 10 years, maybe sooner, that whole area is going to be worth serious money. Especially if it gets "Miami21" Fever and decides to turn LeJeune road into an urban corridor flanked by streets of expensive Chicago-style townhomes (3-4 stories, 2-3 car garage off alley in back, home office or rental unit on first floor, family living on the 2-3 floors above).

Think about it... a safe, if not quite pretty (yet), area that's still semi-affordable... 5 minutes from the airport (but almost entirely out of the flight path), 10 minutes from downtown Miami and downtown Coral Gables, and 15 minutes from South Beach. Which is exactly why Miami's gringo population has been swarming over the area for the past year or two, even as their Cuban friends turned up their noses and swore they'd rather live in a cardboard box in Overtown ;)

247 Posts
...........down here.............. Im not sure where you are from but as a born and raised true Miamian I can tell you the reasons are obviouse.First off you probably know this but ill say it just in case. Hialeah is in the Miami area and classified as its own city.Hialeah is definitly one of the largest suburbs or urban spraws of Miami.Ok the reasons there is no rapid development there is first no one speaks english there and trust me im not exagerating. Its like a giant little havanna.There is alot of poverty there but not everyone is in poverty.The roads are beat up and have cracks and potholes all over the place yet they are always under construction and it never ends.People in Miami are classified as the rudest drivers in the country.Now in the Miami area Hialeah has the ruddest drivers in this city. So as far as driving its the worst of the worst lol.Many of the apartments and houses are very close together and not taken care of as well as the endless amounts of strip malls junk yards warehouses and strip clubs. its extemely hot because its all concrete and it has virtually no trees at all.It seems like there is no zoning laws there.you have some neighborhoods in the middle of a bunch of warehouses and industrial areas.its very crowded and the roads are nothing but a parking lot.Its far inland from the coast and far from the attractions.to top it off the cost of living in hialeah is a ripp off.its not that cheap to live there.for example kendall is alot better in many ways besides the traffic yet its nearly the same price.Yet another reason is because the roads and street numbers dont match up and are very confusing.For example you go from 10 street to 156 street in one block then the next block is 20 street. lol hard to beleave but its true.The number one reason Hialeah has little development is because there is no land left at all there.Although they did recently manage to buy acerage that used to be preserved land to prevent cutting further into the everglades.so little by little there is some developement in extreme western parts of hialeah mostly low rise apartments and zero lot homes.but who would want to live there? :runaway:

247 Posts
""DOWN HERE"" I have all the answers to your question

...........down here.............. Im not sure where you are from but as a born and raised true Miamian I can tell you the reasons are obviouse.First off you probably know this but ill say it just in case. Hialeah is in the Miami area and classified as its own city......................... Hialeah is definitly one of the largest suburbs or urban spraws of Miami.Ok the reasons there is no rapid development there is first no one speaks english there and trust me im not exagerating. Its like a giant little havanna.............There is alot of poverty there but not everyone is in poverty.The roads are beat up and have cracks and potholes all over the place yet they are always under construction and it never ends...............................People in Miami are classified as the rudest drivers in the country.Now in the Miami area Hialeah has the ruddest drivers in this city. So as far as driving its the worst of the worst lol.Many of the apartments and houses are very close together and not taken care of as well as the endless amounts of strip malls junk yards warehouses and strip clubs. its extemely hot because its all concrete and it has virtually no trees at all ............................... .It seems like there is no zoning laws there.you have some neighborhoods in the middle of a bunch of warehouses and industrial areas.its very crowded and the roads are nothing but a parking lot.Its far inland from the coast and far from the attractions........................to top it off the cost of living in hialeah is a ripp off.its not that cheap to live there.for example kendall is alot better in many ways besides the traffic yet its nearly the same price.Yet another reason is because the roads and street numbers dont match up and are very confusing.For example you go from 10 street to 156 street in one block then the next block is 20 street. lol hard to beleave but its true.........................The number one reason Hialeah has little development is because there is no land left at all there.Although they did recently manage to buy acerage that used to be preserved land to prevent cutting further into the everglades................................so little by little there is some developement in extreme western parts of hialeah mostly low rise apartments and zero lot homes but who would want to live in hialeah ? ? :eek2: :runaway:

247 Posts
..........Miami canes........ I can't dissagree with you on the possibilities of Hialeah. If O.T. and biscayne blvd can develope any area can lol. Please dont take affense but i dissagree on two things. the location is not good its to far inland and the traffic is only going to get even worse. Also in no way is Hialeah pretty to the eye lol. its ugly ugly ugly. neglected roads strip clubs junk yards indutrial buildings apartment buildings that are never painted and sometimes falling apart aspecially after the recent hurricanes.The houses are often very ugly as well with ugly medal standard fences sourounding the front yard.mud and dirt instaed of grass and many cars parked all over the front because many houses are illeagally turned into multi family mini apartment buildings. One thing I agree with is next to the metro rail station has potential only for that one reason. If i had to invest in Hialeah I would buy no more than 8 blocks to the metro rail station.Maybe for the south americans or latin people but any americans or europeans would never be able to function there.not only because of the language but the culture as well.

247 Posts
EVER NOTICE THE COLOR OF THE HOUSES THERE? LOL

I forgot to mention the colors they paint there houses lol.dark brown, dark green, bright purple, lime green, black, school bus yellow icecream trucks and mini schoolbuses parked in the yards and so on. multi families living in small houses with zero lot lines. There seems to be no regulations there. :eek2: now if they had rules like most other american cities and not like cuba or haiti for example then it wouldnt look so ugly.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think you need to take a trip to cuba to notice that the architecture there is some of the best in this world and overall they manage to take care of there buildings...

cuba only started going through some neglect back in 1960 while southbeach
had 100 years of neglect and are just now improving there infastructure.

as for hialeah not developing its becuase the city hasnt done anything about mass transit and for any condo buildings to go along 49 street there would have to be a trolly or some light rail to get people moving faster.

i suggest you take a drive to hialeah miami lakes and other areas so you have a better feel for what its about and as far as everyone speaking spanish. my cousins came from cuba in 1991-92 and less then a year later spoke english to this point they are unrecognizable as latins when they speak or the way they carry themselves and they all live in hialeah and work in hialeah...

johnson and johnson is based out of hialeah starting pay for a secretary 45k others there make about 200k a year and this is just one company in hialeah there are plenty of others just like it...

i may not like hialeah but i know that there is alot of money there and alot of culture and it beats kendall as far as traffic and location anyday...

247 Posts
RX I agree with you some of the architecture in havanna is very nice but only in the downtown havanna area but the buildings are very neglected. My wife came from cuba at about that same time 90-91. I saw photos of their home it doesnt even have any walls.her grandfather built it himself. Most people are to poor in cuba to buy homes. She knows spanish but almost never speaks it.as for your cousins i respect them as i do my wife for speaking and learning english. be honest though most of the people that live in Hialeah do not speak english even the few that know english most of the time choose to speak spanish I mean most of Miami is bad enough but Hialeah trully deos not feel like america at all.You cant get a job in hialeah and not know spanish. A non english speaking person has a much better chance of getting a job in hialeah.You cant go to the stores or resturaunts or mechanics or gas stations or fast food or hire a plumber or make freinds with neighbors in hialeah just everyday things in life become almost impossible if you dont know spanish.All of Miami dade county is like that but Hialeah is one of the worst. I stay in kendall and only one person in my complex speaks english out of nearly a thousand.Hialeah is still even worse.There is no way that you can say that hialeah is mostly english speaking people that would be a lie.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Hialeah has two pretty big strikes against it, imo.

First, the complete disregard for zoning there has left much of Hialeah a chaotic jumble of businesses and residences (sometimes one and the same).

I think even its biggest boosters would agree (if they're being honest) that much of Hialeah...particularly its main thoroughfares...is painfully ugly.

Second, while Greater Miami isn't exactly a mecca for high-salaried jobs, Hialeah is probably the regional epicenter for extremely low-paying, zero benefits manufacturing jobs staffed largely by undocumented immigrants.

When those dynamics make up your economic base, it's hard to envision Hialeah becoming an attractive destination anytime soon.

I think Hialeah has evolved something akin to what the Lower East Side was to NYC many years ago. An immigrant mecca...a place to get started in a new country...but also a place for many to "escape" from when their economic condition allows it.

247 Posts
I know alot about Hialeah I used to lived there for 4 years growing up. Samauri lakes in Hialeah gardens. go see that apartment complex its discusting. I really am not saying Hialeah has no hope. it does but right now to me its a mess. Maybe if you just came from a third world country its okay. By the way there is at least one metro rail stop in Hialeah. If they get on the ball as far as dealing with property rules, improve the train system further, and fix the confusing numbers of the streets. It could have a good future.No one who does not speak spanish would ever want to live there not only is there comunication problems but they would get treated like pretty bad. but for people who are latin and know spanish it might have potential in the future because of its density.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sorry, but I have to disagree about the "nobody in Hialeah speaks English" assertions. Compared to Sweetwater, Westchester, and Fountainbleau, Hialeah is Mainstreet USA. "Everyone" in Hialeah might speak Spanish by default, but in stark contrast MANY other parts of Miami, just about everyone in Hialeah is perfectly capable of speaking English when given an excuse to do so. Now, I certainly wouldn't recommend Hialeah to a family relocating to Miami from Iowa... and the city's aesthetics have a long way to go... but it does have plenty of tolerable neighborhoods... especially now that the new flyover to Okeechobee Road is done and the horrid interchange that used to be on Le Jeune road has mostly been rebuilt.

Hialeah is no different from working-class white ethnic neighborhoods in any other big city... it's not a terribly inspirational place to live today... but you could certainly do a lot worse. And like I said... over the years, lots of those homeowners have become a lot wealthier. Not wealthy enough to unilaterally just demolish and rebuild... but just wait until a hurricane does the job for them, and the insurance company ends up subsidizing lots of the cost.

...and with no zoning laws or legislated aesthetic standards to get in the way, post-hurricane Hialeah lots will be VERY valuable, because it'll be one of the few places where an upper-middleclass family can legally build a 4-story 12,000sf single-family home on a 50 x 100 lot perched above a 4-car garage with porte-cochere covering the entire paver-clad front yard :)

Actually, Hialeah's "live and let live" attitude is probably one of its under-appreciated great features. It's probably the only place in America where you can sell used tires from your front lawn, and have your neighbors show up to support your right to do it. Its neighborhoods might not be pretty, but for the most part, they embody the kind of organic human-driven mixed-use growth that Nu-Urbanistas pretend they want to create, but don't, because that would mean compromising standards to levels non-millionaires can afford. While architects and city planners from elsewhere will doubtless wring their hands and grouse about Hialeah's residents post-Hurricane homes being limited in size only by their construction budgets and egos, the people who live there will be happy. And really, that's all that matters.

247 Posts
Hey Miami canes I respect your opinion but a have to be honest i dont agree on everything.Onething that you did pointout is the live and let live attitutd.I never thought of it like that.Honestly i think its a very good point.it is a plus plus that it has in commin with south beach.humm maybe hialeahs future is bigger than i thought.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
JUST SO YOU KNOW THAT HIALEAH ALTHOUGH PEOPLE SPEAK SPANISH THEY ALSO SPEAK ENGLISH AS THERE SECOND LANGUAGE.

Famous residents

Some of our nation’s greatest have their roots in Hialeah such as knuckle ball pitcher Charlie Hough; fast ball pitcher Alex Fernandez; outfielder John Cangelosi; pro-football player Vince Kendrick; space shuttle Columbia astronaut Ken Mattingly; and popular vocalists K.C. of K.C. and the Sunshine Band, Terry Desario, and John Secada,Red Farmer, NASCAR driver just to name a few

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
JUST TO DISAGREE AGAIN WITH ONE MORE POINT

"All Ways Lead to Hialeah" was one of the city’s first slogans. At the time, Glenn Curtiss and James Bright could not have imagined the important link in the transportation chain provided by Hialeah’s location. Sitting in the heart of northwest Dade, Hialeah has access to every major thoroughfare - linked by I-95, I-75, the Palmetto and Sawgrass Expressways, and the Florida Turnpike. Hialeah also provides direct economical access to both Opa-Locka and Miami International Airports, the Port of Miami, Amtrak, Tri-Rail and Metro-Rail stations are conveniently located within the city.

THE TRI-RAIL METRORAIL IS THE FIRST STATION IN HIALEAH AND CONTINUES ALL THE WAY TO THE PALMETTO STATION. I BELIEVE ITS 4 OR 5 STOPS TOTAL FOR HIALEAH...

·
Registered
904 Posts
For anyone who hasn't been to Hialeah recently, or been to the eastern end, try this little experiment: drive north into the city on Le Jeune Road from the airport. Let's just say it's a MUCH different experience than trying to drive into Hialeah from the Palmetto. Because that area was historically near-inaccessible due to the horrid traffic problems at the interchange, most of the city's apartments and commercial developments ended up crammed into the last mile or two before the Palmetto. The Le Jeune corridor is mostly single-family homes, and has a totally different "feel" from the rest of the city. I pity anyone who had to actually drive into or out of that area a decade ago (when driving to Le Jeune along 103ST from the Palmetto could have easily taken a half hour or more), but right now, they're probably feeling pretty good about their area.

For road trip #2, start at the airport, and head to northwest-bound Okeechobee Road. Marvel at how getting there is now painless and uneventful thanks to the new flyover (and feel your skin crawl while thinking about what it must have been like to try doing the same thing even 5 years ago). Then, after driving a quarter mile or so, turn right and check out the area. Wow. nice homes. Not "West-Broward-nice", but comparable to the general area between the Palmetto and Turnpike between Miller and 836.

Eventually, in a mile or so, you'll get to downtown Hialeah. Yeah, Hialeah actually HAS a downtown. A decent one, in fact. In another 10 years, it could easily become like the Ponce de Leon corridor through downtown Coral Gables... especially if they had fast, frequent connectivity to a Metrorail station from there.

Part of the reason I knew about that area is because when I was in college, I had a few friends who lived in that area and drove there a couple of times during the summer when I made trips over to Miami. At the time, all I noticed was the god awful gridlock (Gratigny was still under construction, and instantly transformed the accessibility of one friend's house when it opened), but then when I started looking around Miami for a house or condo a few years ago, I remembered that area.

247 Posts
first off dont think i hate hialeah because notice i never said that.would i ever live there ? no way.It seems there is at least one or two people in here that love hialeah.I am not backing off on anything i said but at the same time i dont want to be misunderstood.I admit i say things some imes that some may not want to hear but im not affraid to speak the truth.Trust me i have no intensions of affending anyone.Also i respect everyones opinions aspeacially in this forum.You all got somthing in commin with me.We all love Miami.Hialeah is very much apart of Miami.In fact Miami wouldnt be Miami with out Hialeah.I partially grew up in the west Hialeah area.Saumarri lakes apartments to be exact.I got my memories there and Hialeah does have alot of character im sure everyone would agree on that.would I recomend it to a family or person Moving to Miami from elsewhere in the united states lol no way.would i recomend it to a person moving from a latin country maybe but there are better places.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
i for one would never live there and i know the neighborhood you grew up in it really sucks.

but what you say about hialeah is personal and not a fact and that is why some people choose to correct you on your opinions becuase if we where to go by opinions miami is one of the unsafest cities to live in and everyone speaks spanish those opinions would make this building boom not happen...

dont judge hialeah on what your experience was like living in that one little section of it...

247 Posts
That would never hurt the building boom.Remember Miami thrived after a show based on its drug lords and violence. Miami vice lol .one of Miami s unique features is its high crime and exotic latin people. If people are not honest about the real Miami they might come but they will only move back out. Besides that I beleive Miami,s uniqueness is what lures people here not the false fantacies tourist afficials portray.what lures people to a city is excitement and Miami has it like no other. Really I dont even have to point this out, people see it.dont cover it up.covering up the real Miami will slow the building boom.Look around the more exciting the city is portrayed the more people want to go.why do you think Miami and nyc and LA and vegas are the most popular tourist destinations in the united states it sure as heck aint salt lake city utah or omaha nebraska or biose idaho lol think about it. people want to be in an exciting spot and crime is exciting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.