SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Why is it a world class city like Nairobi has no metro ?
because of poor planning but we should have one in a few years

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
If the city of Nairobi did have a metro rail system, how many lines would it have eventually? I'd say around four. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Can Nairobi's Topography be able to support a subway system????

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Four major lines running parallel to the existing roads that feed the City Centre.ngong road,Mombasa road,jogoo road and. Thika road.
I'm sure the residents of Uthiru,Kangemi,Loresho all the way to Westlands also consider Waiyaki way which is their route a "major" which is also worthy of such infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Can Nairobi's Topography be able to support a subway system????
I would think not plus the way they have avoided doing a simple tunnel on the roads in construction currently due to cost, I don't think they would be up for a subway. But in all seriousness, Nairobi's population is small.3-4 million does not warrant a subway, just proper planning which has lacked through the years.

Singapore is how Nairobi should be right now, how long will it take to get there?

·
Banned
232 Posts
i don't think Nairobi is a world class city so it doesn't necessarily surprise me that it has no metro, i would compare Nairobi with Dar es salaam or abuja.

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts
i don't think Nairobi is a world class city so it doesn't necessarily surprise me that it has no metro, i would compare Nairobi with Dar es salaam or abuja.
Dar es Salaam :lol:

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
Come off it, Nairobi is NOT a "world class" city. In SSA there is no such city outside of South Africa.

If my "metro" you mean "subway"...

With Kenyas very low GDP per capita it would be crazy to have a metro. Even much larger cities in much richer countries dont have a metro system!

Kuala Lumpar, Bogota, Lima, Chicago etc etc

I believe that Nairobi will be one of the first with a subway. Along with Lagos and Luanda. But this wont happen this decade.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Egypt has a subway system

but here are Nairobi's subway plans

Reactions: African Foot

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts
Come off it, Nairobi is NOT a "world class" city. In SSA there is no such city outside of South Africa.

If my "metro" you mean "subway"...

With Kenyas very low GDP per capita it would be crazy to have a metro. Even much larger cities in much richer countries dont have a metro system!

Kuala Lumpar, Bogota, Lima, Chicago etc etc

I believe that Nairobi will be one of the first with a subway. Along with Lagos and Luanda. But this wont happen this decade.
A subway is not just built in 'a world class city' or in a city in a rich country, it's built where it's needed - like Cairo is way poorer than Chicago by they need a subway there more than in Chicago and that's why Cairo has one and Chicago doesn't.
Pss - the funny thing up there is where the dude, instead of focusing on the argument at hand, tries to bring in the usual dick measuring contests we are used to from our neighbors south without putting in mind that in Nairobi, the subway is the current talk while in his city, people still don't know what a subway is. :lol:

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
A subway is not just built in 'a world class city' or in a city in a rich country, it's built where it's needed - like Cairo is way poorer than Chicago by they need a subway there more than in Chicago and that's why Cairo has one and Chicago doesn't.
Pss - the funny thing up there is where the dude, instead of focusing on the argument at hand, tries to bring in the usual dick measuring contests we are used to from our neighbors south without putting in mind that in Nairobi, the subway is the current talk while in his city, people still don't know what a subway is. :lol:
I would have confronted his argument, but better yet i had to show him the plans. Speak for yourself there people in nairobi aint dumb ask five people in the street today what a subway is and they will tell ya.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sadly you are entitled to your own opinion.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Antyime I look at the Thika Highway pics, I remember all the negativity that was spewed in SSC, when I look at the state of infrastructure now and compare to what we had in 2002, I am thrilled. So let all the naysayers continue rubbishing these projects (that are already in the pipeline). As I always say, do not listen to those who say it can't be done.
@Adm.Adama, thanks for the map.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Dar es salaam has won of the best infrastructure in Africa it will grow by 85% by 2025 while Nairobi will only grow by some 40% also the fact that most of Nairobi's structures are some 10 to 15 years old while Dar's are some 5 years old. Nairobi is no where near to being a world class city in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts