SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
P.E. Aubameyang
5,932 Posts
Dar es salaam has won of the best infrastructure in Africa it will grow by 85% by 2025 while Nairobi will only grow by some 40% also the fact that most of Nairobi's structures are some 10 to 15 years old while Dar's are some 5 years old. Nairobi is no where near to being a world class city in my opinion.
I am not Kenyan, but I think that you are jealous. For me, Kenya is widely more moved forward than Tanzania. it's visual. make a poll in oasis on the question, you will see the answers. :)

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Dar es salaam has won of the best infrastructure in Africa it will grow by 85% by 2025 while Nairobi will only grow by some 40% also the fact that most of Nairobi's structures are some 10 to 15 years old while Dar's are some 5 years old. Nairobi is no where near to being a world class city in my opinion.
Is their any proof of those facetious claims, Plus nairobi under old regimes had lost 24years of infrastructure upgrading and we are making up of lost time rather quickly. Another question why are you trolling nonsense???

@Suns i agree

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,116 Posts
I would think not plus the way they have avoided doing a simple tunnel on the roads in construction currently due to cost, I don't think they would be up for a subway. But in all seriousness, Nairobi's population is small.3-4 million does not warrant a subway, just proper planning which has lacked through the years.

Singapore is how Nairobi should be right now, how long will it take to get there?
I don't think a city's size should determine if it has a subway system. The determinants should be:

1) Is it cheaper or more expensive to build above ground rail transit.

2) The geography of the city and if building a subway is possible or needed in certain areas (perhaps building above ground in fairly dense areas would be impossible).

And btw you said Singapore is how Nairobi should be. Well, Singapore has an extensive subway system.;)

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,116 Posts
Come off it, Nairobi is NOT a "world class" city. In SSA there is no such city outside of South Africa.

If my "metro" you mean "subway"...

With Kenyas very low GDP per capita it would be crazy to have a metro. Even much larger cities in much richer countries dont have a metro system!

Kuala Lumpar, Bogota, Lima, Chicago etc etc

I believe that Nairobi will be one of the first with a subway. Along with Lagos and Luanda. But this wont happen this decade.
Chicago has portions of the L underground.

I don't like comparing cities. Just because one city doesn't have a metro doesn't mean another can't or doesn't need it. Every major city is unique with its traffic inflows, and so it should solve them in the best way that is deemed possible.

And at the rate Nairobi's population is growing, no one should be surprised if it doubles in the next 20-30 years. And I agree Nairobi will more than likely be among the first. But of course it won't be this decade (though planning for it may start).:yes:

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Antyime I look at the Thika Highway pics, I remember all the negativity that was spewed in SSC, when I look at the state of infrastructure now and compare to what we had in 2002, I am thrilled. So let all the naysayers continue rubbishing these projects (that are already in the pipeline).
And the sad thing is were it not for the fuckery of world bank Mombasa road would be on your list.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I know that Kenya is far more progressed than Tanzania but that doesn't mean that Nairobi is a world class city in my opinion.
I may have missed it but when did Kenya start competing with our neighbors down south? And please point to a post that states Nairobi is a world class city. Quit trolling and contribute positively, otherwise save us your grief.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
èđđeůx;92718818 said:
I don't think a city's size should determine if it has a subway system. The determinants should be:

1) Is it cheaper or more expensive to build above ground rail transit.

2) The geography of the city and if building a subway is possible or needed in certain areas (perhaps building above ground in fairly dense areas would be impossible).

And btw you said Singapore is how Nairobi should be. Well, Singapore has an extensive subway system.;)
In Kenya's case I do think population size matters. If Nairobi was to have a metro system and reliable BRT system, it would NOT need a subway system. One because for the time being, traffic problems would be solved and two if proper planning was in place(given we have lost 40 some years) rural to urban migration will be reduced and Nairobi would cease to be a focal point. Extend Nairobi to the planned vision 2030 (machakos, ngong , kikuyu etc ) then develop other parts of Kenya. For one I would love Northern Kenya be developed and expanded and see migration north.

At independence, Kenya and Singapore were at par. Now what a difference.

Finaly, Nairobi was built on maasai mash land, it is possible for a subway but thG wiuld include massive amounts of concrete for stabelisation driving up the cost.
Maybe our new found wealth in Turkana can assist if properly managed.

I hate auto correct!! Arrrggghh

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
And the sad thing is were it not for the fuckery of world bank Mombasa road would be on your list.
Quite true. That's why I am glad Kibaki is looking the Brazilian way. We need to look for funds anywhere we can get them, relying on the WB has really slowed down the pace of some projects.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The comparisons with Singapore do annoy you about kenya. One of the main things is the population difference.

at independence
Kenya Population c.8 Million
Singapore Population c.2 Million

Today
Kenya Population c.40 Million (5 Times More)
Singapore Population c.5 Million (2.5 times More)

GDP at independece Pretty much the same
Today c.34 Bill against c.210 bill (6 TIMES MORE)

So as kenyans, We had tones more babies who are today you and 7 of your friends (8) produce 1/6th of what a simmilar chap in singapore does.

Lets have less kids and get that economy growing before this 6 times becomes 600 times. I know politicians this politiciant that, but the kids bit is down to you and me, the rest we can atleast claim no control over.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So as kenyans, We had tones more babies who are today you and 7 of your friends (8) produce 1/6th of what a simmilar chap in singapore does.
:rofl:

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts
èđđeůx;92718931 said:
Chicago has portions of the L underground.

I don't like comparing cities. Just because one city doesn't have a metro doesn't mean another can't or doesn't need it. Every major city is unique with its traffic inflows, and so it should solve them in the best way that is deemed possible.

And at the rate Nairobi's population is growing, no one should be surprised if it doubles in the next 20-30 years. And I agree Nairobi will more than likely be among the first. But of course it won't be this decade (though planning for it may start).:yes:
A subway is cheaper than the road system, considering the fact that most Kenyans are generally poor, I think the subway is still the best option for Nairobi though the geography of the city makes it very expensive to construct one, we can do it in phases though, if all goes well, by 2020 some works may have begun judging from the seriousness of government.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,116 Posts
In Kenya's case I do think population size matters. If Nairobi was to have a metro system and reliable BRT system, it would NOT need a subway system. One because for the time being, traffic problems would be solved and two if proper planning was in place(given we have lost 40 some years) rural to urban migration will be reduced and Nairobi would cease to be a focal point. Extend Nairobi to the planned vision 2030 (machakos, ngong , kikuyu etc ) then develop other parts of Kenya. For one I would love Northern Kenya be developed and expanded and see migration north.
Fair enough, and I agree. I only said a subway should be constructed if it's needed.:yes:

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,116 Posts
The comparisons with Singapore do annoy you about kenya. One of the main things is the population difference.

at independence
Kenya Population c.8 Million
Singapore Population c.2 Million

Today
Kenya Population c.40 Million (5 Times More)
Singapore Population c.5 Million (2.5 times More)

GDP at independece Pretty much the same
Today c.34 Bill against c.210 bill (6 TIMES MORE)

Lets have less kids and get that economy growing before this 6 times becomes 600 times. I know politicians this politiciant that, but the kids bit is down to you and me, the rest we can atleast claim no control over.
Ehh I don't think you can compare them though. Singapore is tiny and due to its size and population it was forced to consider how to improve the tiny island's development, or would be in time.

Singapore was apart of Malaysia for two years (1963-1965) that were tarnished with varying ideologies between the Federal and Singapore's state government. Not to mention racial issues (see race riots of 1964) as well. Had Singapore not split from Malaysia, I wonder if it would have the same status is does now.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
If Nairobi did have plans for a metro rail system, which would be the first line to be realized?

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
i mean, Nairobi already has a four-line commuter rail network (which is to be upgraded in the future). There's a map of the commuter rail network on page 14 of the project's thread. (Post #275)

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Some arguments for and against a metro in Nairobi:

User:Adm.Adama pointed out in this post that apparently, due to the terrain in the area, developing an underground rail transit system within Nairobi would be hard since the ground below is very uneven and cost alone would run into the billions. Then again, constructing a rail transit system in any city is difficult. Can somebody evaluate what the terrain in the Nairobi area is like?

An overground system feasible? I don't know about an overground-only system, for aesthetic reasons. If we can't build a metro completely underground, then it is possible to have some portions aboveground and some portions underground.

I believe Nairobi will end up having to develop a light rail system with level crossings (similar to Addis Ababa?), which won't be enough for the area in the long term, and may be difficult since Thika Road and Outer Ring Road are becoming controlled-access roads.

For example, if a metro line were built along Thika Road, could the road be torn out to create a (cut-and-cover) rail transit tunnel and stations?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Some arguments for and against a metro in Nairobi:

User:Adm.Adama pointed out in this post that apparently, due to the terrain in the area, developing an underground rail transit system within Nairobi would be hard since the ground below is very uneven and cost alone would run into the billions. Then again, constructing a rail transit system in any city is difficult. Can somebody evaluate what the terrain in the Nairobi area is like?

An overground system feasible? I don't know about an overground-only system, for aesthetic reasons. If we can't build a metro completely underground, then it is possible to have some portions aboveground and some portions underground.

I believe Nairobi will end up having to develop a light rail system with level crossings (similar to Addis Ababa?), which won't be enough for the area in the long term, and may be difficult since Thika Road and Outer Ring Road are becoming controlled-access roads.

For example, if a metro line were built along Thika Road, could the road be torn out to create a (cut-and-cover) rail transit tunnel and stations?
Here's a very detailed and informative PDF on the topography of Nairobi and if it can handle a metro system. http://www.academia.edu/8475293/Geo...ribing_subsurface_city_development_in_Nairobi

21 - 40 of 58 Posts