Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to ask, where is the highest point of view in London, because I will be there in this holiday... But I'm not talking about London Eye. I think about super-high building :D I know highest buildings of London, but i don't know, have they points of view. Thanks for help. Greetings from Poland. :D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
In terms of buildings or structures, the London Eye (135m) is your best bet. The tallest buildings in London are in Canary Wharf but they do not having public viewing platforms. St. Paul's Cathedral (85m at the viewing gallery) and the Monument (approximately 55m at the viewing platform) in the City of London, both designed by the famous 17th century baroque British architect, Sir Christopher Wren are worth considering too. There's a bar at the top of the 180m Tower 42 which is reasonably tall but probably less fun then any of the public viewing galleries. You could also go to the viewing gallery at the top of Westminster Cathedral (80m) but the views are obstructed by surrounding buildings. A good panorama view of London can also be got from the top of Greenwich Hill. I'd recommend the Eye.

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,632 Posts
According to tourist guides,
- the hightest point of view is London' eye. It's greath during the day and fantastic at night.
- the hightet non moving point of view is St Paul's Cathedral

Maybe it's possible to climb into Canary Warf's buildings or into the Gerkin if you know somebody inside...
Other good point of view: Monument and London Bridge.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for help. So I will watch nice views of London from London Eye. Thanks again :]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'd also recommend taking a walk across Waterloo Bridge as the sun sets. One of the nicest views in the city. So good they named a song after it.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Most things have been mentioned already. But here's my take....

I think the best high views of London are from the London Eye by night and the Golden Gallery at the top of St Paul's Cathedral dome by day. The highest public view is from the Vertigo bar on the 42nd floor of Tower 42 but the panorama is interupted by the vertical metal strips on the building. It's also expensive and you must call to arrange your visit in advance for security reasons.

Although it's not high there is a great panoramic view of London from Waterloo Bridge which is most impressive at night. Standing at the northern end of the bridge you can see right around the curve in the Thames and see Canary Wharf, the City, St Paul's, and Big Ben/Houses of Parliament. Another stunning ground level night view is from the South Bank of the Thames directly opposite Big Ben (just west of Westminster Bridge).

·
cartoon policeman
3,664 Posts
^^ Its an extremely posh and expensive bar...i imagine used mainly by business people wishing to impress - not the kind to go for a fun and merriment.
it's true it's expensive - it's a champagne bar. doesn't mean there's no fun or merriment up there, i assure you.

a free option if you want views of tall buildings is stave hill, rotherhithe - great views of the square mile, and unbeatable ones of canary wharf.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
£2.50 and a good work out = The Monument!...

It's a bargin for that price! It's usually relativley quiet which is nice too and give a great vantage point for the thames, St.Pauls, and the Square Mile! .. Something quite haunting about the spiralling stair case too!.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
It used to be the case that you climb to the top of the camponile of Westminster Cathedral (or was it a lift?)...I dont know if that is still the case? Anyone?

·
Registered
76 Posts
For a free, and relatively central panorama try climbing to the top of Primrose Hill just behind regents park. The whole of London is displayed before your eyes!

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
It used to be the case that you climb to the top of the camponile of Westminster Cathedral (or was it a lift?)...I dont know if that is still the case? Anyone?
Cathedral Tower Viewing Gallery
The Viewing Gallery is open daily from 9.30am to 12.30pm, and from 1.00pm to 5.00pm

www.Westminstercathedral.org.uk

·
1,173 Posts
I am sure it is the Crystal Palace transmitter. It is 797 feet high, so higher than Canary Wharf tower without taking into consideration it being on top of a big hill. AOD is probably over 900ft.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts