SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the city centre property market is starting to become saturated, what do you think the chances of highrise blocks appearing in Headingly is? I don't mean 30 story glass skyscrapers, but 7-12 story blocks of flats. From a developers point of view it would make the most sense, large population of students/single people/childless couples who wouldn't mind living in apartments, a substantial amonut of property is already flats, slightly cheaper land prices, high square footage prices, an established property market and large demand for housing.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
-Headingley
-I think its quite likely that a few midrises will appear around Headingley because of the campus, but probably there'd be more mid-rise and maybe high rise development around Armley, and quite alot around Sheepscar. I don't think we should look at much highrise revelopment out of the centre yet, and a bit of midrise development in the inner city areas but not the suburbs yet.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Theres good transport links (when compared to other sections of Leeds) in Headingly too, with the things youve said I think mid-rises could be on the way there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leeds No.1 said:
-Headingley
-I think its quite likely that a few midrises will appear around Headingley because of the campus, but probably there'd be more mid-rise and maybe high rise development around Armley, and quite alot around Sheepscar. I don't think we should look at much highrise revelopment out of the centre yet, and a bit of midrise development in the inner city areas but not the suburbs yet.
Armley may be closer to the city centre, but the prices are lower than Headingley, so there's less incentive for developers, and the demand for a property is much higher in Headingley than Sheepscar. It may be in the suburbs, but you could hardly describe it as suburban. The prices are some of the highest in leeds, and alot of people want to live there, more so than the city centre i imagine, so it seems logical that a few midrise apartment blocks should start appearing.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Just been past the new students flats being built in Meanwood, pretty close to Headingley, and noticed one of the new blocks is around 6 or 7 storeys High.

The development is off Buslingthorpe Lane and looks massive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that the round one? I remember going into Hedingley a few weeks back and seeing quite a large block of student flats, only passed it briefly on the bus, but it looked circular. Was quite far from the city centre, and it's what got me thinknig about possible mid rise development in Headingley.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Theres also some flats (of around 5 storeys I think) going up near Moortown corner.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Skopie said:
Is that the round one? I remember going into Hedingley a few weeks back and seeing quite a large block of student flats, only passed it briefly on the bus, but it looked circular. Was quite far from the city centre, and it's what got me thinknig about possible mid rise development in Headingley.

No, thats the flats opposite the Parkinson Building which is close to the City Centre.

These flats are off Meanwood Road, about 1.5 miles away. It is certainly going to be a large development. New build and convertion of a number of old mills.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I'm not sure developments of this kind would be welcome in Headingley - its already fully saturated with students and the local population and doesn't have many swaithes of development land available. I'd also think that the land would be relatively expensive - its a very pleasant community with good mix of residents and lots of amenities. Its also very green compared to other areas of Leeds. Also its not a regeneration area (like the city centre and heading out along East Street) so there would be few financial perks for developers to make use of. If anything there will be more conversions of the larger old houses in a similar manner to those in Roundhay (Park Mont etc overlooking Waterloo Lake etc). I don't think bland new builds will be welcome.

·
heavymetalmayhem
92 Posts
Also there are now additional planning restrictions on student accommodation developments in an attempt to redress the student/resident balance in Headingley, therefore midrise developments are less likely and if there were any they would not be student accommodation. We have already seen how student developments are being moved to other locations around the city centre.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts