Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to emporis, add up all the highrises from every city in a metro. Completed, Under Contruction and proposed. For example: Dallas + Fort Worth + Arlington + .... Obviously New York and Chicago will come in first and second, but who is third? From some quick checks Miami and Washington DC suprisingly appear head and shoulders above the rest.

For Miami: Miami + Ft.Lauderdale + Miami Beach + Aventura + Sunny Isles + Coral Gables + West Palm +...= 1269 either complete or in various stages of development.

Washington + Baltimore +.... Looked to be over 1000 as well. I'd be interested to see the LA numbers. Also I just used Emporis which VASTLY undercounts Miami Beach. It lists MB as only having 156 when a more accurate count would probably be closer to 300.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i think metro miami is second and chicagoland is 3rd, followed by metro LA in fourth.

one thing is for ABSOLUTE certain, NYC is definitely #1.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
actually one of the editors from Emporis.com listed the stats for metros over at SSP about a year ago and Miami was third after NYC and Chicago....all with over 1,000+ highrises respectively.
LA isn't even in the top 5 if I recall.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they give a total for NY? That would be interesting. NY + Jersey City + all those NJ cities.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried Washington DC + Baltimore + Alexandria + Arlington + Bethesda + Tysons Corner + Chevy Chase + N. Bethesda and came up with 879. I'm sure I missed some cities that could raise that value a little.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If DC has the 800+ highrises it's a real disapointment because you can't see more than a few from any single point (except DT Balt. which is a pretty small and low grouping). Its' hardly a skyline IMO if you have to drive for miles to see a few 12 story buildings here and there. The bay area is better but again the buildings outside SF and Oakland are too far apart to be seen as a group. It seems like the definition of a skyline should include how impressive it is from one vantage point.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actaully Houston is not even in the top 10!!! I made a complete list and am making a new thread for it.

·
chek ur hed
473 Posts
They count high rises as 12 or more stories which kind of bugs me but D.C. and Miami, maybe the Bay Area, seem like logical choices.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts