SkyscraperCity banner

Which type of barrier do you prefer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
Pre-Cast barriers have been used in the Canadian Province of British Columbia since the 1950s. First generation barriers are about 60 cm in height, while ones used as median barrier on motorways, can be up to 120 cm in height.

Cast in place type barriers were used previously, but only as part of a retaining wall combo. Examples still exist on abandoned sections of the original Fraser Canyon Highway (Predecessor to the Trans Canada Highway) and a section of the Pacific Rim Highway on Vancouver Island

The province of Alberta also uses pre-cast barriers, but they are mostly used at major roadworks to protect construction crews. Sometimes they are used as a median barrier on major highways/motorways.

·
53,130 Posts
cast-in-place is a relatively new development in the Netherlands, and is only used in three locations as far as I'm aware, namely A35 Almelo - Wierden, N50 Hattemerbroek - Kampen and A73 near Venlo. But that's just because concrete barriers are not common in the Netherlands in the first place. We largely use metal barriers.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I voted for cast in place because they're surely stronger, being attached to a footing with rebar. It's too easy to imagine a precast barrier being toppled by an errant truck.

there's one place in Atlanta that I know of where precast jersey barriers were used, on I-285's northeastern sector. It looked as though most of the precast barriers used to protect work areas during construction were simply lined up in the median and left there. I guess later on a skim coat of cement was applied, because now it looks just like the cast in place sections.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pre-Cast barriers have been used in the Canadian Province of British Columbia since the 1950s. First generation barriers are about 60 cm in height, while ones used as median barrier on motorways, can be up to 120 cm in height.

Cast in place type barriers were used previously, but only as part of a retaining wall combo. Examples still exist on abandoned sections of the original Fraser Canyon Highway (Predecessor to the Trans Canada Highway) and a section of the Pacific Rim Highway on Vancouver Island

The province of Alberta also uses pre-cast barriers, but they are mostly used at major roadworks to protect construction crews. Sometimes they are used as a median barrier on major highways/motorways.
There are many other examples of cast-in-place barriers being used in the lower mainland. The portion of HWY 1 between Brunette Ave. and Galardi uses cast-in-place... then changes to pre-cast :lol: Did they run out of money or something?? Also, portions of the new HWY will have cast-in-place barriers, but only very small portions. My guess is to save on costs. BC MoT definitely cheaped out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts