SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uptown Bound
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I know it's still early, but I'm already planning some hiking trips for the summer. I was hoping you all could give me some suggestions...I'm looking for an area I could camp for 2-3 days with several 4-5 mile trails coming out of the campground or nearby area. I'd really like to find a place where I could take some college buddies, so I'd prefer an area that allows significant alcohol consumption. Also, has anyone ever climbed Mt. Rainier or Mt. Olympus?

I figure this could be a good thread to discuss all hiking/outdoor activities in western WA and the Northwest. :cheers:

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Hello all,

I know it's still early, but I'm already planning some hiking trips for the summer. I was hoping you all could give me some suggestions...I'm looking for an area I could camp for 2-3 days with several 4-5 mile trails coming out of the campground or nearby area. I'd really like to find a place where I could take some college buddies, so I'd prefer an area that allows significant alcohol consumption. Also, has anyone ever climbed Mt. Rainier or Mt. Olympus?

I figure this could be a good thread to discuss all hiking/outdoor activities in western WA and the Northwest. :cheers:
One of my favorite places to hike is Iron Goat Trail...

Off hwy 2 on the way to Steven's Pass

Google it and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm not sure Cougar Mountain has camping? It's surrounded by suburbs isn't it? I'm a 4 hour 'let's make this a workout' kind of hiker and I go there sometimes.

There's a whole section on hiking at the REI downtown, I think they usually staff people with 'experience' maybe you could stop by and ask them?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Skys, Are you wanting real hiking? Then, no offense, but cougar mountain doesn't quite qualify...(seriously, no offense). I definitely recommend the National Parks, or somewhere in the North Cascades non park areas. My favorite area would be Cascade River Road out of Marblemount. Stay at the Cascade River Campground...lightly used, no one would think twice about some booze. And the territory is seriously WORLD CLASS. Think National Geographic. 4-5 mile day trips from near the campground would be Cascade Pass/Sahale Glacier, Hidden Lake Peak, and Boston Basin, all unbelievable. These will give your buddies an amazing intro to real mountains, glaciers, and wilderness, less than 2.5 hours from Seattle. Trust me, you will not forget this region.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Marble Creek Campground, not Cascade River, sorry. But it is Cascade River Road. Another great base would be White River CG in Mount Rainier National Park. Lots of great hikes around there; Fremont Peak, Berkely Park, and Van Trump Park. All fantastic. But my first choice would be North Cascades and Marble Creek! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you're willing to stray north of the border:

Stawamus Chief
Black Tusk
Manning Park
West Coast Trail

Not a camp area, but another one worth trying is the Grouse Grind.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts