SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 807 Posts

·
10th February 2008
57,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trafford Council fights back and unveils plans for a new Town Hall and site for LCCC.

Longjohns, your friends at the Civic Society are not happy.

Town hall moves to help cricket club.

This.

to be replaced by this.

PROPOSAL: New town hall.

TRAFFORD town hall may be bulldozed to make way for a new ground for Lancashire Cricket Club.

The secret plans came to light after inquiries by the M.E.N's sister paper, the weekly Metro, prompting Trafford council to hurriedly go public.

Lancashire County Cricket Club bosses have been considering selling Old Trafford because of fears the ground, built in 1864, is not up to modern standards and would not be able to host international matches.

Advertisement your story continues below
But under the plans Trafford council would move from the Talbot Road town hall, opposite Old Trafford, into new headquarters near the Trafford Centre.

For the cricket club to make use of the town hall land the area's road layout would need to change.

Council bosses hope by making their home available to LCCC they will persuade them to stay in the borough.

Global

Officials at the cricket club have been considering moving from Trafford. A huge site near Wigan which would house the ground, a hotel and offices has been earmarked, as well as an area at Sportcity in East Manchester.

It is understood Trafford council bosses have been in talks with LCCC for months.

They have also met Trafford Centre bosses Peel Holdings, which owns the derelict land on which the new council headquarters would be built.

Both refused to provide any further details, although council officials say the building's cost would not come from their own money.

Trafford council leader Susan Williams said: "Old Trafford is a global brand for cricket and the club brings many benefits to the borough, both in terms of that international recognition, jobs and investment in the local economy. Our role has been to foster a partnership which has been developing a masterplan for the cricket club area to provide a state-of-the-art Test match venue for the 21st century. Within that partnership it was obvious the council itself could contribute by vacating the town hall site. That's what we're now considering.

Options

"Our options are limited with our existing building. Access is poor, particularly for disabled people, and energy costs are mounting. It was built to suit the old-fashioned council of the 1930s and it's now showing its age. There are major health and safety issues with the annexe."

LCCC chief executive Jim Cumbes said: "As we are still involved in talks with Trafford council we cannot usefully add anything to their statement at this moment."

Coun Williams said a move would save taxpayers at least £3m in urgent repairs to the 1933 town hall, including replacing the heating system.

The new building, off Trafford Boulevard, would be "energy efficient and environmentally friendly".

It would be designed by award-winning architect Simon Bee and house about 1,000 staff. Though the present building is more than 70 years old, it is not protected by listed status.

Trafford council will be presented with the proposals in principle on May 24 and, if given the go-ahead, the new centre could be completed by the end of 2008. The council said it would be the first new town hall to be built in Britain for decades.

The plans were due to be unveiled next week. Opposition politicians said they were furious about being left in the dark. Coun David Acton, leader of the council's Labour opposition, said: "I'm absolutely disgusted this decision has been made straight after the local elections.

'Disgraceful'

"I represent the Gorse Hill ward, where the town hall is based, and I hadn't been consulted on this, which I think is absolutely disgraceful."

Liberal Democrat group leader Ray Bowker said: "It's an unbelievable suggestion. The town hall building is steeped in tradition."

Manchester Civic Society chairman Richard Harvey said: "We'd be concerned about what would happen to the building. We do object when historic buildings are knocked down and replaced with something cheap and tacky."

SHOULD the old Town Hall be vacated for LCCC? Have your say.

·
Registered
745 Posts
surely an alternative site could be found? that hall seems like a very grand old building and would be a bad thing to lose it... surely there must be some former industrial land that could be reclaimed for lancs cricket club

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
That old Town hall isnt the best old building around, I've walked around it before and its not the best state. It would be bad to lose it. I dont really understand most of this.

Questions need answering like where the current road go? Thats an important busy road and it cant just be closed off. Why is there a lake with boats? There isnt canal very near by. What will happen to the old Ground?

·
LocksRocks
313 Posts
There was a chap on the Legends on Century 105.4 from Lancashire CCC who said that Wigan is the hands down favourite for the new ground. No where in Manchester could offer the same facilities (such as two outdoor pitches and indoor winter training)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Farsight said:
IMHO it's all wrong that Manchester City Council doesn't cover the Trafford area anyhow.
It's a given, discussed many times that it is completely inexcusable that Manchester City authority only covers 1/3 of the Manchester posttown area. It's the most illogical arrangement in the UK (maybe Europe). Where is the sense that an inner city district of Manchester like Old Trafford (1 mile from city centre) doesn't come under the city council??? It's a farce and needs sorting.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Balls should the town hall go. Build that newy elsewhere and keep the TH as museum or something. Isnt there a carpark across the road from LCCC?

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Yes i would be worried if the 'old' town hall were to be demolished. There are better examples of this type of thing but never the less it seems a bit desperate and extreme. Quite like that new town hall design though.
Typical Trafford philistines IMO - so desperate to keep them they will give up a decent building.
Sportcity is the best place for the new LCC IMO.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
skymann said:
It's a given, discussed many times that it is completely inexcusable that Manchester City authority only covers 1/3 of the Manchester posttown area. It's the most illogical arrangement in the UK (maybe Europe). Where is the sense that an inner city district of Manchester like Old Trafford (1 mile from city centre) doesn't come under the city council??? It's a farce and needs sorting.
Did it ever though ? if Old Trafford once was in Manchester then you may have a point, but if it was never in Manchester then why should Manchester have it ? Jersey City is half a mile from Manhatten and is in a completely different state.

Incidentally if Manchester had annexed Stretford in the past, the Town Hall would have never been built.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
It's not a great building but then it's not a great council and I wouldn't be too sad to see either of them go. The Sale and Altrincham Messanger says that they new town hall will be down by the Quays rather than the TC. If it's actually near the IWMN, Lowry etc I'd be quite pleased, as it would add a bit of life round there (although it would be a bit of a bugger for those that use the tram to get to the town hall), however putting it in some business park is typical Trafford Tory brain death thinking.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Cherguevara said:
It's not a great building but then it's not a great council and I wouldn't be too sad to see either of them go. The Sale and Altrincham Messanger says that they new town hall will be down by the Quays rather than the TC. If it's actually near the IWMN, Lowry etc I'd be quite pleased, as it would add a bit of life round there (although it would be a bit of a bugger for those that use the tram to get to the town hall), however putting it in some business park is typical Trafford Tory brain death thinking.
Trafford Quays is just next to the Trafford Centre so quite a long way West from The Quays or town.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
The Longford said:
Sportcity is the best place for the new LCC IMO.
Totally agree, I can't see why this isn't the strong option. When the Metro extension gets built, it means it will have ultra great transport links as well.

One of the best things about old trafford at the moment is it's Metro Link, to go to Wigan will be such a pain to get to by public transport (coming from other parts of the UK).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Isaac Newell said:
Jersey City is half a mile from Manhatten and is in a completely different state.

That half a mile is called the Hudson River - a fairly big physical barrier. Old Trafford forms a seamless inner suburb of Manchester. It has Manchester posttown address, postcode, telephone number (Jersey City has a different address and telephone number). People in Jersey don't call themselves New Yorkers, but I've never met anyone from Stretford or Old Trafford that didn't call themselves Mancunians. Instead of you poor analogy here's a better one. Manchester not including Old Trafford is like Liverpool not including Toxteth, Birmingham including Aston, Leeds including Headingley or Edinburgh including Leith. The reason that Manchester didn't expand to include all the other 2/3 of Manchester suburbs it because they created Gtr Manchester county in 1974 and the new mickey mouse boroughs of Trafford, tameside and new Salford. So they should either reinstate a proper Manchester city region where some dummkopf can't pretend that Old Trafford or Salford are somehow not in Manchester, or just go back to the 1945 plans and incorporate the Manchester suburbs (not satellite towns) into the one city of 1.2 million. Nothing could be more logical.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What the hell is wrong with the old building? I mean ..... im not sayin nout

·
SSC Member
1,817 Posts
There was a chap on the Legends on Century 105.4 from Lancashire CCC who said that Wigan is the hands down favourite for the new ground. No where in Manchester could offer the same facilities (such as two outdoor pitches and indoor winter training)
and theres no way in the world that wigan could attract as many spectators. It will be simply too far for many people to bother.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Old Trafford was within the city of Manchester until 1974.

Prior to 74, Manchester (and Liverpool) were still within the county of Lancashire, (but not administered by it).

If the LCCC wishes to remain true to it's 'county' affiliation, then moving to Wigan will not accomplish that goal.

It will have to move to a town in (what remains) of Lancashire.

Or change it's name.

End of.

PS, how can you tell I'm not a cricket fan and don't give a rats arse? ;)

PSS, it's all London's fault. :)

1 - 20 of 807 Posts