SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
There's good photos to be found on this forum too:

This one of the gasworks is good, I never realised the River Blackstaff was quite as prominent- pity it couldn't have been fully uncovered and incorporated into the gasworks redevelopment.

And just down the road on Ormeau Avenue, we got rid of this building for some reason.

Ormeau Avenue by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

Nevermind though, the surface carparks that blight the area to this day are lovely too...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Recently colourized these photos of Holywood, from B&W negatives using AI Deep learning tools. Sort of brings it to life. May do more with Belfast photos. I'm not sure when they were taken, the info says 1865-1914. Maybe a Holywood-ian can help date, a church tower is being constructed or maintained in the last image (clue?).

·
22,114 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Managed to find a more recent image of the train station. While some things disappear with the passage of time, some things never change

·
22,114 Posts
Thanks bug I tried using Google yesterday but found nothing. Yeah another land mark victorian building lost over nothing.
I don't see this link road ever being put in there but it would be nice if they cleared the car parks and replaced them with an urban park that reached through the gas works and even connected to Ormeau Park via the pedestrian bridge
So many beautiful buildings lost to needless acts. Though this could still have been demolished without the Troubles. The proposed inner-ring road would likely have seen this torn down regardless.

I agree the area would make for a nice linear park. Something to suggest to BCC and Nichola Mallon I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
There's good photos to be found on this forum too:

This one of the gasworks is good, I never realised the River Blackstaff was quite as prominent- pity it couldn't have been fully uncovered and incorporated into the gasworks redevelopment.

And just down the road on Ormeau Avenue, we got rid of this building for some reason.

Ormeau Avenue by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

Nevermind though, the surface carparks that blight the area to this day are lovely too...
Found a similar photo. Would be an iconic building for Ormeau, if still around.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Belfast was a stunning city pre troubles and blitz, known across Europe for it.

I guess know we have to be at the top end of modern architecture to honour that legacy.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Belfast was a stunning city pre troubles and blitz, known across Europe for it.

I guess know we have to be at the top end of modern architecture to honour that legacy.
Fat chance of that happening. We'll just get the same low grade could-be-anywhere claptrap, and, like with the Obel, or that Olympic Tower proposal, it will be half arsed anyway.

Of course, any suggestion we revert to designs more reminiscent of the past is derided as pastiche by the very same people who gladly serve up another identikit pile of spandral rainscreen aluminium clad guff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Of course, any suggestion we revert to designs more reminiscent of the past is derided as pastiche by the very same people who gladly serve up another identikit pile of spandral rainscreen aluminium clad guff.
Recent case in Dublin of a hotel extension. Architects traditional plans rejected due to being 'unduly historicist'.

Have to wonder who/what decides the architectural culture?. How is it buildings liked by many [architects/institutions/magazines and awards], most regular folks find ugly and demoralising. 🤔

21 - 40 of 83 Posts